Mustang Evolution Forum banner

41 - 60 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Based off the circled picture the hose in question is number 13

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
On further examination of my car I think you are right. I just ordered the hose for $22 shipped. I am hoping it has the valve and will post when it is received. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Maybe this will help. This is a screen shot of the TSB info the dealer uses.

Jeremy

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
^ That clears it up! Good thing its the cheaper part.

Now, can swapping out the hose be accomplished without draining much coolant?

·
Registered
765 Posts
It's basically just a vent/over flow tube from the looks of it. Do it with a cold motor and you should lose nothing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
^ That was my thinking, but then the very design of the hose (without checkvalve) would encourage air to be pulled into the pump...weird.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I would assume that since the pump end is the lowest, that would be subject to the most loss.
I believe I would connect the new hose to the expansion tank first and then to the water pump last. The connection to the pump should be fairly fast to minimize loss of fluid. Another person to put their finger on the open connection may come in handy.;)

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
^ Thanks for being a test mule!

·
Registered
116 Posts
This looks a little scary. I am glad I stumbled up on this thread. I am going to go and check this hose on my car today.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
I guess I'm lucky that my late-2012 build's water pump hasn't given up the ghost yet... but don't want to push my luck.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I guess I'm lucky that my late-2012 build's water pump hasn't given up the ghost yet... but don't want to push my luck.
My June 2011 build 2012 has no leaks either. That is the question? Why does the hose cause pump failure on some but not others? My replacement hose is coming on Friday. Should I stop driving it until it arrives? Not hardly. It's gone nearly 37,000 miles without a backflow valve a few more won't matter. At least if the water pump does fail they wont' be able to say it was the hose that did it and that's not covered.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I just received my hose and it has the backflow valve. It took 15 minutes to install mostly because of those goofy clips Ford uses. The old hose was full of air and no coolant was lost in the install. I would say it was worth the $22 but then my water pump will start leaking next week so I won't.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
^ Thanks! Thinking I might upgrade to some normal hose clamps when I upgrade.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yea, I wish I just got a couple of stainless clamps too but now that the spring ones are on I don't want to mess with them again. I think it is worthwhile upgrade, hoses need replacing anyway and keeping air out of the waterpump is a good thing.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Agreed. But the worst have to be tower clamps. My dad and I have exorcized those from our 69 Camaro resto.

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
No, not the worst ^^^^^

Oetiker clamp (those are the ones with two ears that you have to crimp)

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
^ I stand corrected. Those win the prize for the worst.

41 - 60 of 129 Posts