Mustang Evolution Forum banner

121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thanks for all the posts.

I have a 2014 3.7L convertible currently at 59,900 km or 37,220 miles. I did not expect to have this kind of problem at this low mileage.

I just noticed my heat stopped working, checked the coolant, by opening the cap (engine cold) and it was empty in the degas bottle. I’m going to admit to something really stupid of me here, I had previously “checked” the coolant level by looking at the outside of the bottle, which was orange right up to the max line, I thought it was liquid but nope, it was the stain from where the liquid was. ?Hopefully some day someone reads that and doesn’t do the same thing as I did. ?

I’m glad to read that some had it covered under powertrain warranty (5yr 100,000 km for me, 5 years from sale is in 4 months for me).

I will be taking to the dealer on Tuesday and see if they will repair under warranty.
Make sure you get the new overflow hose with the check valve. Even the 2014's did not have it from the factory. It shoots air right into your water pump without the check valve and Ford thinks it causes premature failure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Was done yesterday, they covered it under the powertrain warranty, water pump and hose (now with the check valve) were replaced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Make sure you get the new overflow hose with the check valve. Even the 2014's did not have it from the factory. It shoots air right into your water pump without the check valve and Ford thinks it causes premature failure.
My wife's 2015 3.7L V6 water pump started leaking a few days ago with 63,350 miles on the clock.

It does not have the check valve in the overflow hose - I've sent an email to my dealership service manager to at least try for a warranty repair, but wont push too hard as its not a major task for me to take care of.

·
Registered
425 Posts
So they were still using up the old hoses without the check valve in 2015? Too much....I thought at least by then they would use the right part. I doubt you will have luck at the dealer but it's worth a try. Make sure you get the right hose along with a new water pump. The ironic thing is that hose is supposed to be there to remove air in the system but without a check valve it does the opposite.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have been reading in several places about the check valve in the radiator hoses to the water pump.
Can you tell me how to check that I have it, and what is its function?
Thank you very much

·
Registered
7 Posts
So they were still using up the old hoses without the check valve in 2015? Too much....I thought at least by then they would use the right part. I doubt you will have luck at the dealer but it's worth a try. Make sure you get the right hose along with a new water pump. The ironic thing is that hose is supposed to be there to remove air in the system but without a check valve it does the opposite.
My 2015 was covered under warranty even with it at 63K miles.

My 2015 was right at the date where the factory was installing the check valve in this hose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been reading in several places about the check valve in the radiator hoses to the water pump.
Can you tell me how to check that I have it, and what is its function?
Thank you very much
See the photo below showing where the check valve should be, but it's not fitted in this case, and see the new pipe that has a hose clamp in that location - no hose clamp means no check valve.

·
Registered
425 Posts
My 2015 was covered under warranty even with it at 63K miles.

My 2015 was right at the date where the factory was installing the check valve in this hose.
Good for Ford and your dealer. The hose was clearly a factory defect. A few years ago some dealers claimed that the water pump was not covered under the 5/50 warranty because it failed because the hose was defective and it is not covered by the warranty becasue it is rubber. Luckily that was not usually the case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good for Ford and your dealer. The hose was clearly a factory defect. A few years ago some dealers claimed that the water pump was not covered under the 5/50 warranty because it failed because the hose was defective and it is not covered by the warranty becasue it is rubber. Luckily that was not usually the case.
I bought my 2017 Ford Edge Sport from this dealership and prior to that I always took my company car there for servicing.

My wife's Mustang we bought used.

I'm not sure if Ford Corp. just agreed to this without any resistance or if the service manager needed to twist arms, but I asked the question not expecting that it would be covered.
The fact that there's a TSB for this specific problem I guess they felt obligated.

121 - 129 of 129 Posts