Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my build log for my flat under belly on my 2012 Mustang V6 standard. Hopefully I will have a new driveshaft on before it is complete, and I need an oil change soon.

I have already done the dimensions, but want to redo them now that I am working with different materials.

My materials so far:

ForumRunner_20121224_084249.png

ForumRunner_20121224_084316.png

These are my two boards which will be cut to fill in the bottom. I have more boards, but these are my two biggest ones, and I want the underbody to be as few pieces as possible. I know others have been successful with many small pieces, but I want to keep as few pieces as possible.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I sure hope this works for you.

Some people like Luxury.
Some like speed.
&
Some like to see how many MPG you can get out of an engine.

If anybody is going to hit the 50 MPG on a V6 Mustang I'm betting it will be you.:good:

Ronnie

·
Registered
120 Posts
UltArc said:
This is my build log for my flat under belly on my 2012 Mustang V6 standard. Hopefully I will have a new driveshaft on before it is complete, and I need an oil change soon.

I have already done the dimensions, but want to redo them now that I am working with different materials.

My materials so far:

These are my two boards which will be cut to fill in the bottom. I have more boards, but these are my two biggest ones, and I want the underbody to be as few pieces as possible. I know others have been successful with many small pieces, but I want to keep as few pieces as possible.
What is the point of this?

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
He is trying for 50 Miles per Gallon on his V6

Like I just said:
Some people like Luxury.
Some like speed.
&
Some like to see how many MPG you can get out of an engine.
Ronnie

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ViperTran said:
How does that board help? Clearexplaintion is very much needed from you pros! :D
Well I am no pro! Lol, just trying to make it work for me. I have seen them on cars from Insights and Metros to 350s and M35s. What I am doing is making the bottom of my car smooth, so as I travel through the air, it is not getting caught on all the things hanging from the bottom of the car. I want to be like a speed boat on the bottom, cutting smoothly through the air.

Similar to the Audi R8 and Ford GT (44). But, the GT has these guide rails for the air, and I believe they actually create low pressure zones for downforce, while mine is just to be smoother.

The board helps in many ways. It is cheap, free for me, easy to cut, is safe to my under body ifnit got ripped off, will not rot away in bad weather, and is extremely light weight.

Charlie_santos said:
+1 I don't understand how it's gna help with MPG
It is makes it easier for my car to travel through the air. Check out www.aerocivic.com. That ugly car has such a low drag it is probably faster than a lot of Stangs here, compared to that car, we area all driving around with parachutes on our car lol. So the easier I move through the air,the less energy it takes to get to speed, and the less work I must do to maintain speed.

Please note that I am NOT making an aero stang...looks are important. Hence, the belly pan, no visual, but extensive gains.

Sanguin said:
Streamlines air to reduce drag. Air gets caught and circulates around all your lower body parts. He's keeping it from doing that.
+1

·
Registered
809 Posts
Not a bad idea.... Just a thought, I remember a few years back there was a car company that was doing this to a production car. I want to say it was the VW Golf but don't quote me on that. One thing that they were doing and giving praise to was there "dimple" design. Basically, by covering the thin plastic underbody plate in small,closely spaced dimples air would flow more smoothly over them. The comparison made was a round ball vs a golf ball with dimples. I have played a little golf and know that dimple design on a ball can have some effect on how the ball fly's so maybe VW was onto something.... Then again, could have been just another sales pitch to try and convince people that there cars get better mpg. Anyways, if your feeling innovative maybe give it a try.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Mythbusters again

The Myth busters proved that a dimpled car was way more efficient going through the air then a nice smooth car.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ronnie948 said:
The Myth busters proved that a dimpled car was way more efficient going through the air then a nice smooth car.

Ronnie
On the other forum that inspired me to do this had a pretty heated debate about this. The end basically concluded that their test procedures were not really the best to see real results.

So I am not arguing either way, I am just bringing up that their results were not precise. For my car, the underbody will not be as effective as a regular Stang. Because of my splitter and partial air dam, I have less drag underneath right now, while if one took this onto a Stang without air dam, or splitter, there would be even better results.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just talked to the guy, I thought he had an M series, it is a Q45. His belly pan wasn't complete, just front and rear, and it netted him approximately 2 mpg, while he normally stays in the low 20s. So a full pan should be as high as 10%. On ecomodder, go to garage, search infiniti, and he is mcrews. On his profile he has his whoe build listed, he has an after market bumper, grille block, and belly pan. He had clear rear wheel skirts, but I think they are off now.

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

curtin1991 said:
So to change your oil I guess u will have to take all the front sheets off. ?
Yea, unfortunately. I am getting one in the next week or so, and then real development begins.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts