Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the rear speakers on my 2012 Shaker 500 and I just wanted to say that it was much easier than I expected and made a tremendous difference.

I know that some do not replace the rear speakers thinking that it is too difficult or does not make that big a difference. If you have been on the fence about it like I have, go for it. I have much clearer highs and surprisingly it gave me a little more bass. It took me about an hour start to finish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Speakers, a ratchet and some time is all you need. I have a body panel tool which helps as well but is not necessary.

Basically you take off the door sill plates. Fold the seats down and remove the lower body panels on each side and then the carpeted piece that covers the speakers will just slide forward. You need the ratchet to take out the screws holding in the speakers.

I used Infinity Kappas. I had them in my last car and I had already replaced the door speakers with them. I have been really happy with them. They are great speakers for the price.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,120 Posts
thejohncarlson said:
Speakers, a ratchet and some time is all you need. I have a body panel tool which helps as well but is not necessary.

Basically you take off the door sill plates. Fold the seats down and remove the lower body panels on each side and then the carpeted piece that covers the speakers will just slide forward. You need the ratchet to take out the screws holding in the speakers.

I used Infinity Kappas. I had them in my last car and I had already replaced the door speakers with them. I have been really happy with them. They are great speakers for the price.
Yeah it is super easy isn't it? Did you just do the rears? The front shouldn't be any harder
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the Front speakers when I first bought the car but, I read a bunch of stuff online about people not replacing the rears because of how tough it was. It took me until a couple weeks ago to decide to take it on. If I known how easy i was, I would have done them all at the same time.

It is amazing how much better this stereo sounds with better speakers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,120 Posts
thejohncarlson said:
I did the Front speakers when I first bought the car but, I read a bunch of stuff online about people not replacing the rears because of how tough it was. It took me until a couple weeks ago to decide to take it on. If I known how easy i was, I would have done them all at the same time.

It is amazing how much better this stereo sounds with better speakers.
Yeah I found that out last year when I was cleaning the back seat. The biggest pain is taking the panels off back there.

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

And the infinity speakers are great! I had them in my Chrysler, I'm sure they were ready to blow when I got rid of it.

Do you have the shaker?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,120 Posts
thejohncarlson said:
Yeah, I have the Shaker 500. I am now trying to decide if these are worth it:

Kicker Audio 8 Inch Woofers

$150.00 seems pretty reasonable and there aren't many direct replacement options.
Dang that's a good deal!

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

Actually hold on.. I'd save up and put 2 in the trunk. If you like/want more bass.

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

From what I've researched you can wake the subs up once you replace the Head Unit if you haven't dine so already.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am still on the stock head unit. I am still on the fence about wanting to replace it because I don't like how all the adapters mount the stereo so low in the center stack.

I also don't think I can give up my trunk. I haul a lot of stuff in there for work and I have a mountain bike that I carry in there as well.

I like the looks of this:

Kicker Audio 10 Inch Woofer

I think the price seems a little high for what you get.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,713 Posts
Just curious, do you guys's panels rattle
Because when I put in my touch start button, the augers started to rattle, still haven't found a fix
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,120 Posts
thejohncarlson said:
I am still on the stock head unit. I am still on the fence about wanting to replace it because I don't like how all the adapters mount the stereo so low in the center stack.

I also don't think I can give up my trunk. I haul a lot of stuff in there for work and I have a mountain bike that I carry in there as well.

I like the looks of this:

Kicker Audio 10 Inch Woofer

I think the price seems a little high for what you get.
Oh ok I see where you are coming from.

Let me sleep on it haha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I just replaced the rear speakers on my 2012 Shaker 500 and I just wanted to say that it was much easier than I expected and made a tremendous difference.

I know that some do not replace the rear speakers thinking that it is too difficult or does not make that big a difference. If you have been on the fence about it like I have, go for it. I have much clearer highs and surprisingly it gave me a little more bass. It took me about an hour start to finish.
hi there i have mustang 2012 base can i add shaker 500 sound system in it ? regards
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,120 Posts
I am still on the stock head unit. I am still on the fence about wanting to replace it because I don't like how all the adapters mount the stereo so low in the center stack.

I also don't think I can give up my trunk. I haul a lot of stuff in there for work and I have a mountain bike that I carry in there as well.

I like the looks of this:

Kicker Audio 10 Inch Woofer

I think the price seems a little high for what you get.
Jeez I guess I went to sleep and never woke up. I'd look to see if you couldn't find some custom enclosures for less. Look at Crutchfield to see if you can't get something similar for less.

Replacing the HU does give you some options over the indoor subs.

---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

hi there i have mustang 2012 base can i add shaker 500 sound system in it ? regards
You may get a quicker response by creating a new thread, but I'm not sure if you can or not. I know you cant upgrade from the 500 to 1000
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
I tackled the rears yesterday myself, I used Kenwood 3-way's and the job only took
1hour, I didn't remove the sill plate, just pushed the panel forward enough to do the work needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
What size are the rear speakers?
They are 6x8" same as the door speakers :)

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

I tackled the rears yesterday myself, I used Kenwood 3-way's and the job only took
1hour, I didn't remove the sill plate, just pushed the panel forward enough to do the work needed.
I just did the same as you and it worked out quite well :thumb:
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top