Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2013 5.0. I cant seem to decide on which gears to go with, Im caught between 3.73's or 4.10's... I read that there really isn't a big difference in gas milage between the two if you have a 6 speed manual, which is what I have. If that's true, then I'll definitely go with the 4.10's, but if it completely kills gas milage, then I'll most likely go with 3.73's.

I do some freeway driving, but I'll be moving into the city within the next few months, so I won't be making the long freeway drives anymore.

Let me know what you guys think and what your experiences with the two are. I'd like to order the gears on Monday if I can figure out which ones to get by then.

Thanks,
Cameron.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I've got a 2013 5.0. I cant seem to decide on which gears to go with, Im caught between 3.73's or 4.10's... I read that there really isn't a big difference in gas milage between the two if you have a 6 speed manual, which is what I have. If that's true, then I'll definitely go with the 4.10's, but if it completely kills gas milage, then I'll most likely go with 3.73's.

I do some freeway driving, but I'll be moving into the city within the next few months, so I won't be making the long freeway drives anymore.

Let me know what you guys think and what your experiences with the two are. I'd like to order the gears on Monday if I can figure out which ones to get by then.

Thanks,
Cameron.
ok, there are other threads with this answer, but you have to throw some things out there first.

What gears are you currently running?

Are you planning on doing FI at some point?

Are you installing the gears yourself?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hard to go wrong with 3.73's...

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, there are other threads with this answer, but you have to throw some things out there first.

What gears are you currently running?

Are you planning on doing FI at some point?

Are you installing the gears yourself?
I have stock gears, I believe they are 3.31's. and yeah I'd like to go FI eventually. And no, I'm having a shop do it.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I have stock gears, I believe they are 3.31's. and yeah I'd like to go FI eventually. And no, I'm having a shop do it.
4.10 are too steep for FI so unless you want to change them out later 3.73 are your best bet. I went from 3.31 to 3.73 and it is a huge difference.

I only asked about having a shop do it as a lot of shops seem to run gear specials where you buy everything from them and they give you a discounted deal. I got my gears done for 550 which included everything. 3.73 frpp gears, royal purple fluids, rebuild kit, etc.

·
Registered
428 Posts
4.10 are too steep for FI so unless you want to change them out later 3.73 are your best bet. I went from 3.31 to 3.73 and it is a huge difference.

I only asked about having a shop do it as a lot of shops seem to run gear specials where you buy everything from them and they give you a discounted deal. I got my gears done for 550 which included everything. 3.73 frpp gears, royal purple fluids, rebuild kit, etc.
+1 same price here .u might have to buy a tuner to adjust your speedo

·
Registered
382 Posts
+1 same price here .u might have to buy a tuner to adjust your speedo
I think the dealer can reset the speedo calibration too.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The factory stock gears in the 2013 GT are either 3:15, 3:55 or 3:73. Only factory 3:31 gears are offered on the V6 model. So which factory gear ratio did you get when you purchased your 5.0
Wrong. The standard 6mt gear for GT is 3:31 with options for 3:55 or 3.73.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Wrong. The standard 6mt gear for GT is 3:31 with options for 3:55 or 3.73.
Well I know the auto has 3:15 not 3:31. So your saying the manual has 3:31. Learn something new every day. Very interesting. I wonder why Ford would use a different gear ratio for the automatic compared to the manual. Since the OP has manual, he could have either 3:31, 3:55 or 3:73 factory gears.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I honestly have no idea.. I got the '13 Premium 5.0 and thats really all I know. Where could i look to find out?
You have 3:31 unless ur sticker shows a different gear option.

·
Registered
545 Posts
It on the divers side door I believe mine is yy for 3.15 I'm not sure what the others ones are

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

This is from another thread on here.

You can check either the sticker on your differential or the door jam sticker on the driver's side:

The Ford axle ratio codes are:

BB - 3.73 ratio
CC - 2.73 ratio
DD - 3.55 ratio
GG - 3.31 ratio
YY - 3.15 ratio

1 - 20 of 24 Posts