Super Moderator
18,068 Posts
Or a really big hammer...

Sent from my Z978 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks, my Boss has never been abused, never dragged or tracked,"yet" like I mentioned earlier, I only have just under 5000 miles on it. It sounds like the standard one would work fine. They say that you get some more noise and vibration when I change to MGW shifter. What exactly do they mean by that? I can handle a little more vibration in the handle but I dont want some annoying rattle or very noticable whine. As much as I enjoy going through gears like the next guy, I still like to take cruises with my wife and listening to the radio at times. We live in a beautiful area along the lakeshore in MI with a lot of nice curves. This car is something I want to enjoy and annoying extra noises can weigh on you after a while especially on longer trips. I really would love to change that shifter and fluid, also I did find some BG fluid in my hometown in MI for $77 for two quarts and it's compatible with Fords warranty. Anxious for everyones thoughts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Noise and vibration very minimal and welcome! You will finally feel like you are fully engaged with your Boss rather than totally isolated. Being an "Old Guy" I can tell you it is nothing like the noise and vibration from vintage muscle, just a whisper to remind you that there's a race car around you. The dual disc clutch may give you a little rattle on the down shift at 2200-2800 RPM should you go that way, though I don't notice it at all when using TracKey probably due to the increased engine braking present and seldom otherwise. You may not notice any additional noise with just a shifter, as it comes with Dynamat. Not enough noise to annoy you or your wife with extended driving, and if you have opened up or removed the restrictors in the side pipes ( you have, haven't you? ) you won't notice it at all.

·
Super Moderator
18,068 Posts
If you care about shifting get the race spec. You bought a boss not a fusion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thank both of you guys for responding and Gary sharp race red Boss, just like mine. Whats this about being an "Old Guy"? Are we talking 95 or 100 or an old guy like me at 69, all relative you know and I also have fond memories of Muscle cars which were definitely loud. I probably won't go with the dual clutch at this time but definitely the shifter. You said something about "When" you use your trackey, is there another substandard key? Yes, my baffles have been out from the beginning and my trackey just got activated and that's a long story that I will share with the short version. Bought the car from a Ford dealer in Ohio on the way back from Fla to MI, again had 1195 miles. Trackey wasn't activated but Ford said they would pay for it at a Ford dealer in MI. Ford dealers in MI had no idea how to do it and had no program for it. Called SVT, they said they dicontinued the program because they thought that if anyone with a Boss did'nt have it done already then they were'nt going to now. They were getting quite a few requests like mine. Eventually they made a Pro cal tuner, but now the price was 689.00 and still had to have a Ford dealer activate it for another 105.00, also said it would do more than the original trackey, don't know what yet. Ford paid the 689 and I had to pay the 105. SVT walked me through the half an hour process. Unfortunately, never got it completed until about a week before I put away for the winter, now I just start it occasionally in the garage to hear the lopey idle. Ok, this actually is the short version. If anyone needs to get it done they will need to go through this process. It's proprietory so your local performance shop can't do it, supposedly.By the way what is the Dynamat that comes with shifter, some type of insulation? Scotty, you have a great sense of humor and point well taken, I do have a Boss and not a fusion. How much of a job to put the shifter in myself? I do have heated garage but no hoist, not really excited about putting it in myself even though they give step by step how to video. Maybe and convince Ford to put it in when they redo my trans. in the spring and yes I do know what Fat Chance means. Thanks again for he info.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
also and I'm not trying to insult you. These are fussy cars to shift....fully depress the clutch, learn the tight gates and go out and practice. Notchy is kinda normal but nothing alarming. grinding is different and blocking is also different.

·
Registered
52 Posts
alsboss302, the Dynamat with the MGW is precut and included to place on specific spots on the shifter box to attenuate any rattle or vibration. The shifter install is a little more difficult in that space is limited and ideally the exhaust and driveshaft would be removed and the rear crossmember under the transmission dropped for access.I had my clutch replaced at the same time since my mechanic was already into it that far. It also gave better access to the connection for the new hydraulic clutch line. I was fortunate that TracKey was already installed and active when I bought my car, so didn't have to go through the convoluted process that you describe. The clutch rattle I described was with the silver key,and I only heard it once during clutch break in. The clutch has gotten progressively better with miles, though not completely broken in yet. You have yet to experience what an amazing car this is until you get an MGW. And I guess I should say I am approaching "Old Guy" status since I am only 65!

·
Super Moderator
18,068 Posts
I'm 35 and I feel like I'm approaching old guy status the way my knees feel after leg day...

·
Registered
52 Posts
When the only tools you have left to keep the old bones moving are yoga and pilates-you've arrived! Gotta keep that left knee joint working, whatever it takes.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts