Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To all you guys with the whirling grinding rear-end noise and the ford guys regurgitating their canned response from ford saying “it’s normal.” Well, it’s sure the **** NOT normal.

I went through the same BS with Ford, then this morning, going 25 miles an hour, I hear what sounds like a bomb go off under my car, rear end completely locked up and my trusty solid axel sent my locked tires bouncing swaying jumping to a stop (and that was at 25 mph).

The night before I drove 160 miles home in the rain through CT with narrow winding hilly roads at speeds of 60 to 85 mph. If the piece of garbage differential would have locked up last night, it’s very likely that I could have killed my self, and more unfortunately, innocent drivers around me.

I guess that’s what it’ll take before trillion dollar ford will address this Mickey Mouse drivetrain.

My car has 21k miles on it. I drive it like an old lady. I have never run through the gears to redline, never did a burnout, never tracked, etc. Hell... I’ve never even had it to redline, never even floored it in 1st or 2nd gear, and floored it maybe twice in 3rd gear.

This is second time rear end has been worked on, this time will be 100% rebuild with ZERO ford parts. Also, transmission has already had to be rebuilt at 18k miles... again, I have never once ran through the gears in an aggressive way.

It incomprehensible that ford spent 5 billion dollars in R&D to produce the perfect car, which they certainly did, and then put this toy pedal car drivetrain in the car... A CAR THEY ENCOURAGE YOU TO TRACK AND PUSH IT TO ITS LIMITS!!!!!

But whoever put this piece of crap drivetrain in this car and whoever allowed and signed off on that disconnect deserves to be beat the living hell out of.

I have probably had 40 cars over the years, from beaters to exotics.... and in my younger decades, I ran the hell out of these cars. Never in my life have I had to rebuild a tranny or rear end. I had an effin AMC Gremlin with a 3 speed manual for Christ’s sake with over 300k miles on it.

Well, it’ll cost a pretty penny, but every piece of “Ford” in this drivetrain, from the motor back to the wheel hubs, is coming out this time. Whole drive train, including transmission with plastic linkage, will be built by custom shop that specializes in this, he get cars sent to him from all over the US. When it’s done, this drivetrain could handle 2000 horsepower, course-race and drag race every weekend, and last for years. So with my “grandma” driving style, I, and my son (when I’m gone) and his son, should have a trouble free car.

EXACTLY THE WAY THIS CAR SHOULD HAVE ROLLED OFF OF THE FACTORY FLOOR.

If this were any other car, I would have torched it by now... but that just shows how perfect the Boss is. I’m willing to throw down some serious dough to make this machine what it should have been (reliable).

It’s my favorite car I’ve ever driven and will never get rid of it.

SHORT STORY LONG... YOU OWNERS OUT THERE FIX THOSE WHINING, SCRAPING REAR ENDS BEFORE YOU RISK YOUR LIFE AND INNOCENT PEOPLES’ LIVES BY LISTENING TO SOME SERVICE GUY SAYING IT’S NORMAL.

Pass this info around, someone is going to have their rear end fail and lock-up and be seriously injured.

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
Sounds like your Torsen differential failed.... It happens. :(
That part is neither designed, nor manufactured by Ford.... No matter what it says on the box which it comes in.
It is a high performance aftermarket part that they used on the track oriented Boss 302, rather than the standard clutch-type limited slip used on the regular Mustangs.

If you had ever taken the car to a track day, or an autocross, you would understand why they chose to use that particular differential in the Boss 302, instead of the ordinary clutch-type diff.... A Torsen differential makes a world of difference!

I recommend fixing your car using all of the factory Ford parts that it originally came with.... As flawed as some may be.... And then sell the car.
It would be a shame to ruin a future collectible car by swapping in a bunch of non-factory parts.
And a 2018-up GT will outperform a 2013 Boss 302.... :whistling:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I actually have the limited slip with carbon fiber clutch, I’m not a fan of the Torsen. My post was not to debate differentials, it was to warn and try to convince the hundreds of owners out there that have the same noises coming from their rear ends and are told by Ford lackeys that it is normal... I’m here to say that it ABSOLUTELY is NOT normal.

Your rear end is going to fail, which locks up your rear tires, which is not a fun situation in which to find your self while driving down the road at 65+ mph.

You’re headed to a lock-up failure which could be seriously dangerous, even fatal according to when the diff goes... and it is “when” and not “if” if you are not proactive and fix the issue right away.

I never really understand the point one is trying to make when they say, well, a 2018 out-performs the Boss.

A 4cyl Mustang Ecoboost out-performs a 1969 Cobra Jet Boss 429... and the Ecoboost has power windows.

Get my point... two very different cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And as for as originality, I’m driving the car for me, not for some collector 30 years from now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sounds like your Torsen differential failed.... It happens. :(
That part is neither designed, nor manufactured by Ford.... No matter what it says on the box which it comes in.
It is a high performance aftermarket part that they used on the track oriented Boss 302, rather than the standard clutch-type limited slip used on the regular Mustangs.

If you had ever taken the car to a track day, or an autocross, you would understand why they chose to use that particular differential in the Boss 302, instead of the ordinary clutch-type diff.... A Torsen differential makes a world of difference!

I recommend fixing your car using all of the factory Ford parts that it originally came with.... As flawed as some may be.... And then sell the car.
It would be a shame to ruin a future collectible car by swapping in a bunch of non-factory parts.
And a 2018-up GT will outperform a 2013 Boss 302.... :whistling:
These cars have Torsens from the factory? Distinct possibility the unit was set up out of whack originally. Given the stated low mileage and easy usage, it's hard to imagine the failure. But, it is damned true, when a rear gearset begins grumbling, DON'T keep driving it! The 8.8 is a pretty rugged unit.

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
I actually have the limited slip with carbon fiber clutch, I’m not a fan of the Torsen. My post was not to debate differentials, it was to warn and try to convince the hundreds of owners out there that have the same noises from their rear end and are told by Ford lackeys that it is normal that it ABSOLUTELY is NOT normal.

Your headed to a lock-up failure which could be seriously dangerous, even fatal according to when the diff goes... and it is “when” and not “if” if you are not proactive and fix the issue right away.

I never really understand the point one is trying to make when they say, well, a 2018 out performs the Boss.

A 4cyl Mustang Ecoboost out performs a 1969 Cobra Jet Boss 429... and the Ecoboost has power windows.

Get my point... two very different cars.
I do.
And it is your car to do as you wish. :thumb:

I'm just saying why fight the damned thing?
Sure, they are cool cars, but they had the chronic transmission problems during the latter part of the S197 run, which seem to have been remedied in the S550. The Boss 302 engine is really nothing special when compared to contemporary engines.

I suppose that, in your case, your gripe should be with the dealership that has been working on your car, not necessarily the manufacturer. Specifically with the work done on your rear end.... The 8.8 rear end is considered to be very strong. It is the same rear end that is used in F150 trucks. If they are set up properly, they make very little noise, and are strong, reliable rear ends that can handle a large amount of power. It is the one part of the car that you might call "bullet-proof".
If your rear-end was making unusual noises, it is up to you to persuade the idiot technicians at the dealership that it is not normal, that nobody in their right mind would ever buy a car making sounds like that, and they need to go back in and try again. Or take it to another shop that actually knows what they are doing. Certainly, not drive the car and hope that it quiets down as the gears "break in".

It's unfortunate that this happened to you. It is usually just complaints of noise after shoddy work was done to the rear end.... Not a complete failure.
I certainly would not let the same shop do the repair work. If possible, ask some "car guy's" in your area if they know of anyone who specializes in doing rear end work.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
These cars have Torsens from the factory? Distinct possibility the unit was set up out of whack originally. Given the stated low mileage and easy usage, it's hard to imagine the failure. But, it is damned true, when a rear gearset begins grumbling, DON'T keep driving it! The 8.8 is a pretty rugged unit.
They do.
Not sure why the OP had his swapped out for a trac-loc, but a Torsen differential is noisier than a clutch-type limited slip. Particularly, when making tight turns.
A Torsen differential is not as strong as a factory trac-loc. You definitely don't want to use one for drag racing! But, in my opinion, they are invaluable when doing road course style driving.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Parts fail. You just have to fix it and move on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like your Torsen differential failed.... It happens.

And a 2018-up GT will outperform a 2013 Boss 302....
Parts fail. You just have to fix it and move on.
You clearly have no concept of the purpose of my post.

Yes parts fail, whether it be through normal wear and use, or through Ford producing defective parts that endangers lives yet they fraudulently deny and cover up the problems in order to delay the inevitable product liability case which is coming their way as soon as a rear end failure causes a car to crash into a bus full of kids burning them alive.

Thank you, Captain Obvious. My message is, don’t keep driving your car with a grinding rear end because John Dope the Service Manager tell you “Um, Yeah... that’s how they’re supposed to sound.”

If you develop the Mustang rear end whir and grind... park you car until you get it fixed. IT IS GOING TO FAIL!

·
Registered
399 Posts
I do see why you are upset but a Ford Dealer is not the same as the Ford Motor Company and they certainly do not have a monopoly on downplaying owners complaints as "normal" to avoid dealing with actual defects. In fact that is often the standard response from dealers across the entire auto industry in my experience. There is a number to call if you want FMC to get involved in addressing your issues and sadly that is often the only way to get the proper response.

https://www.complaintsdepartment.com/ford/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They do.
Not sure why the OP had his swapped out for a trac-loc, but a Torsen differential is noisier than a clutch-type limited slip. Particularly, when making tight turns.
A Torsen differential is not as strong as a factory trac-loc. You definitely don't want to use one for drag racing! But, in my opinion, they are invaluable when doing road course style driving.

The Torsen was an option on the Boss. The standard differential was a trac-lic with carbon fiber clutch disks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts