Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen a few in car vids of 2013 gt track packs and noticed there mileage to empty was like in the 280's mine never goes above 215 granted I do have 2000mi so far and use only premium fuel and with this gas shortage in NYC I've been really easy on the last 2 tanks and still can't get more then 200-220 out of a tank , what's up with that? Something wrong or just still breakin in?

·
Banned
228 Posts
U know what I've noticed the same also

When i filled up at a chevron with 91 I get 280 max
One time I kid u not i reached 300 miles till empty and this was at shell gas station

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
It depends on your driving habits. When I drove from Texas to California I filled up in Texas and it estimated 270 MTE. When I filled up in El Paso, Tx I actually traveled over 320 miles and this time the MTE started at 345. Also, my MPG's were right around 24.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have about 1600 miles on my 13' and average about 18mpg with 91octane and half city, half highway. Mileage in stop and go drops off pretty good, I wouldn't expect more than 14mpg with a lot of city driving.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I've noticed it isn't accurate at all.

Take my MPG and fill the tank all the way.

16 gallon tank and at the 18.9 I am getting right now should give me 302 MTE. It usually shows around 280.

Not sure what is wrong where. My guess is Ford has it set so that on E you are not really empty and could easily make a gas station before hitting that point.

My old 2007 tundra was the same way. Off by about 20 MTE. My dad has it now and he will drive 15 miles to work with it on E.

I fill up when the tank hits 1/4 full. Never see me driving on E that's for sure.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have noticed that the AVG mpg calculator seems to be pretty accurate usually within a tenth or 2 of my hand calculations. Cant say the same for the "miles to empty"

·
Registered
275 Posts
nosympathy said:
I've noticed it isn't accurate at all.

Take my MPG and fill the tank all the way.

16 gallon tank and at the 18.9 I am getting right now should give me 302 MTE. It usually shows around 280.

Not sure what is wrong where. My guess is Ford has it set so that on E you are not really empty and could easily make a gas station before hitting that point.

My old 2007 tundra was the same way. Off by about 20 MTE. My dad has it now and he will drive 15 miles to work with it on E.

I fill up when the tank hits 1/4 full. Never see me driving on E that's for sure.
Yes you don't want to run your gas pump on E it's not healthy, save your gas pump and never let it fall below 1/4 of a tank if possible.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mpg and mustang should not be in the same sentence!!

·
Registered
881 Posts
When I fill up (Shell 93), it reads between 297-302 to empty. I get 18-20 in the city....depending on how many people I wanna p!ss off, and about 23-25 on the highway....minus the speeding ticket I got Wednesday for doing 102 in a 60

·
Registered
389 Posts
I don't find the computer to accurate at all. Sometimes it's said 500 km to empty in a full tank but mostly says 300 km to a tank. I noticed that I used to get around 350 km to a tank until I installed my catback now I get 300 or around that to a tank. Now cause I'm exhaust happy either I've tried both while driving normal and having a lead foot. I still get around the same distance to a tank heavy foot or not.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I noticed that mine is pretty low as well, but honestly I don't care, it's the cost of admission to owning a car like this. When it's empty, I put more in, and drive it, simple as that. If you can't afford the gas, don't buy it, that's what i've always said.

I haven't had the car long, though the first thing I noticed was how soon the low fuel warning starts whining at you, I stopped and immediately topped it off though I didn't think it was that low, and only put in around maybe 11 gallons? This prompted me to wonder and then look up the fuel capacity, 16 Gallons...low fuel warning with 5 gallons left? Seems a bit excessive to me I would say.

In the name of full-disclosure:
If I want to get good MPG, I drive my other car, a 12 Accord...aka "The Family Car".

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I noticed that mine is pretty low as well, but honestly I don't care, it's the cost of admission to owning a car like this. When it's empty, I put more in, and drive it, simple as that. If you can't afford the gas, don't buy it, that's what i've always said.

I haven't had the car long, though the first thing I noticed was how soon the low fuel warning starts whining at you, I stopped and immediately topped it off though I didn't think it was that low, and only put in around maybe 11 gallons? This prompted me to wonder and then look up the fuel capacity, 16 Gallons...low fuel warning with 5 gallons left? Seems a bit excessive to me I would say.

In the name of full-disclosure:
If I want to get good MPG, I drive my other car, a 12 Accord...aka "The Family Car".
Car is set at default to warn you at 50 miles left, per its calculations. Which I think are off anyway.

I canot remember for sure, but I think you can change this warning to 25, and 75.

When I first got the car it would go crazy when I hit 1/4 tank that I only had 50 miles left. Now it goes off at about half way between a 1/4 tank and E.

Since then I have changed a lot though, including what grade gas I run, and so I am assuming either that or the break in changed it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
IIRC, there is actually 20 more miles on top of that when the light comes on... Less chance of the pump not having enough cooling being submerged in the fuel. Heat to the pump = premature failure. Adequate fuel around it = happy pump.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
etc1006 said:
IIRC, there is actually 20 more miles on top of that when the light comes on... Less chance of the pump not having enough cooling being submerged in the fuel. Heat to the pump = premature failure. Adequate fuel around it = happy pump.
Depends on fuel economy, but my last fill up was 20 miles past 0 miles left, and I had 1.251 some gallons left, so for this tank, 0 miles left meant over 60 in real life. But I agree about the fuel pump, not from experience, but from better safe than sorry.

EDIT:

For everyone with a v6 not running a tune, what grade of fuel gives you the best results? Or does anyone have any info?

·
Registered
828 Posts
I might be coming inflate here but does anybody else notice the drastic difference in millage between shifting in all gears and just going from 2-4-6? I get maybe 13-14 going 1-6 but I will get 18-20 in the city going 2-4-6

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Redstang1 said:
I might be coming inflate here but does anybody else notice the drastic difference in millage between shifting in all gears and just going from 2-4-6? I get maybe 13-14 going 1-6 but I will get 18-20 in the city going 2-4-6
I drive my car too hard to do that haha. I only start in second when it is snowing. I feel like the car hates starting in second. It can but it never seems to like it.

Also unless I can drive 40 in the city and not be going up hill I cannot sit in 6th. If I had 4.10 gearing I probably could. Else wise I have to sit in 5th.

I usually go 1,2,5 in the city.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts