Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if the 13' GT is running with a forged steel crankshaft? I looked all over online and can't seem to get an answer.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the 13' GT is running with a forged steel crankshaft? I looked all over online and can't seem to get an answer.
I believe (and I am commonly wrong on such things) that only the boss / gt. 500 came with forged internals.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Ok cool, thanks for the reply
No...

The reality is many people are running mild FI (8-10 psi boost) on the stock internals without any issues.

Now who knows how they'll fare in 5 years compared to a forged setup, but no one is blowing these bad boys up!!!

Besides, if something does break, just an excuse to get an alluminator coyote!!!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
nhcowboy said:
See I suck!!

Thanks for keeping me inline!
I downloaded a FF&MM article(March 2010) that interviewed all the developers of the coyote motor . I'll have to look, but I think the rods are forged as well, but not sure.

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
I downloaded a FF&MM article(March 2010) that interviewed all the developers of the coyote motor . I'll have to look, but I think the rods are forged as well, but not sure.
Boss rods are powder forged (similar to cold forging I believe, either way it is about the weakest form of forging there is) but the coyote rods are either cast or hyper-eutectic (I believe the latter).

I believe I've read that same interview (if I'm thinking of the same one you're talking about) and the coyote motor engineers basically designed this motor as a racing motor and over engineered many things in it. They even engineered the motor with boost in mind as well as DI. The motor has been somewhat "future proofed" which is why they hold up so well to a 100% increase in power.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts