Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this morning I was driving on the autobahn with the music on and reved it pretty high trying to pass in 3rd and my engine light started blinking. Maybe 7-10 times then it stopped. It hasn't come on since this morning. Could it be I reved it too high? My only mods are Roush CAI and axleback. No tune "yet". I'm stationed in Germany and there is a dealership about an hour away. Should I be worried and take it in?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Misfires. When it blinks and shuts off it's a misfire. Take it to your dealer, there is TSB 12-12-8 for that problem.
KARgt13, Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! After more research I got this:

FORD:
2013 Mustang

This article supersedes TSB 12-12-8 to update the Service Procedure.ISSUE:

Some 2013 Mustang vehicles built on or before 11/30/2012 and equipped with a 5.0L engine and manual transmission may exhibit a Check Engine Light illuminated accompanied by any combination of diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, P0307 and/or P0308 stored in continuous memory only. Additionally, there will be no apparent driveability symptoms present and no DTCs present which are not listed.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Using IDS, perform self test on the powertrain control module (PCM) to check for both continuous memory diagnostic trouble codes (CMDTCs) and key on engine running (KOER) DTCs.
    1. If any DTCs P0300-P0308 are present in KOER and/or a driveability concern, such as cylinder misfire, is present, this article does not apply. Refer to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual for normal diagnostics.
    2. If any DTCs P0300 - P0308 are present in continuous memory and there is no discernible driveability concern, verify if misfire conditions were at RPMs between 3500-4200 RPM, with a load of less than 0.25 using IDS OBD II freeze frame data and/or use IDS datalogger and view MFF_RPM, and MFF_LOAD PIDS (datalogger->modules->PCM).
      1. If these conditions were met then reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 82.02 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2012.11 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
      2. If not proceed to Step 2.
  2. Using IDS, perform the Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction procedure.

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yep, that's it. I had the same issues you are having. It would happen when you were in the higher rpm ranges (3k and up). Should solve your issue. It's possible that after seeing it blink while driving that the next time you start your car the CEL will stay on.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I drove the car around this afternoon and even tried to replicate the rpm range but got nothing. The light has not been back on. So did the tsb solve your problem? I am going to take it to the nearest dealership I just hope the German's know how to perform the tsb.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I drove the car around this afternoon and even tried to replicate the rpm range but got nothing. The light has not been back on. So did the tsb solve your problem? I am going to take it to the nearest dealership I just hope the German's know how to perform the tsb.
I had it happen once at 700 miles, and when they hooked it up it had like 6 or 7 different misfire codes. At the time, the TSB hadn't come out yet so they just ran some tests and gave it back. They couldn't replicate the problem but they knew of a handful of owners who had the same problem at different dealerships. It did not happen again until I was at 3800 miles, which was just last week. I took it in and brought up TSB 12-12-8 (Just in case they weren't aware of it, you never know with these things) and they did the update. I drove it a few times with no issues, but I guess I won't really know if it's fixed or not based on how long it took for it to happen to me a second time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check Engine Blinking

Here recently my car has had some issues. I do not rag on my car often i get 17.6mpg. My 2013 GT has 49k on it currently. At 46k miles all 8 coil packs and spark plugs n wires were replaced due to 3 cylinders misfiring. this this morning i was driving normal and needed to merge on the highway traffic was pain so i had to punch it in 3rd i got it to 5.5krpm then shifted normal. Out of the blue my engine light started blinking about 20 seconds and went away. Does anyone know what is happening to my GT? :sad:

·
Tech Expert
2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort
3,060 Posts
Chances are it needs another crank sensor relearn. You can do this yourself if you have an SCT X4 or the dealer can do it in about 15 minutes. Mechanically, the crank sensor O ring is an issue with these engines, more noticeably in the F150, because they see more miles than the average Mustang. This should be warranty eligible if it's causing a problem.

·
Tech Expert
3,060 Posts
Any X4...it's under the special features.

If you are taking it in for warranty work, return the car to stock tune before you do that or your tuner may not work if they update the ECM calibration. Besides, you'll not want to give any excuse that you aren't stock here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok sweet. I was aware to return to stock warranty purposes. But glad to know the X4 tuners are pretty much the same. I plan to mod my car but I need the little issues resolved first. Also my trans is clunky as heck.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
They may give you a hard time since your car is tuned. Flashing it back to stock won't hide it but it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I need some more advise guys. My car engine light flickered on and off for 30 seconds again the other day. The car had no power at all during my shifting so I pulled over and waited, then the light stayed on. It was misfiring on 3 cylinders.. But all 8 coils and plugs were replaced!! What could the issue be??? I dropped it off yesterday to the shop and don't have a clue what I'm about to be told about my car.

·
Tech Expert
3,060 Posts
Has the tsb with regard to the crank trigger o ring been addressed? Same advice as last. I think the ecm isn't getting a clean signal here.

Do a code drop with x4 and tell us what that says. I'm guessing p0300.

Reactions: 5.0Nick13

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's exactly the code or may be very similar... Same as before i took it in to get everything replaced and Ford never fixed it/never said it was the issue. most likely to get more money from me idk... I'm going in there and not paying a DIME.

·
Tech Expert
3,060 Posts
Random misfires like this are generally caused by the one element in common: the crank trigger. The approach thus far taken, appears to be treat the problem symptomatically. Like treating arthritic pain with opiates but not looking at causes. Dumb.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Sounds like you need to have the crank relearn done. Takes 5 minutes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts