Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with the 2013 model, having a hard time deciding whether to go manual or auto. i can get a bone stock base gt with auto for the same price as a manual with leather and wheel package. decisions decisions. i know the auto has better times. but not worried about that. im worried about reliability.
my last manual was a 1990 240sx lol.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol ive done alot of research and lots of people say that the manual has issues catching gears sometimes. im not gonna be tracking the car either. all ive heard and read was good reviews on the auto. some people swear by the auto, some people will only go manual. ill go manual if its total reliability. and saves me money since the manual im looking at does have a wheel package and with the auto, ill have to add my own wheel package. and the manual also has leather seats. and they are both the same price

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Redrader26 said:
Manual for sure. I just couldn't get an auto...just seems wrong.
I would get an auto if I wanted to build a drag car.. or if they ever come out with paddle shifters. For anything else, manuals rule.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol not building anything of the sort. will be my daily driver. wanna keep in warranty and keep mainenace costs down.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
13gtDarkKnight said:
lol not building anything of the sort. will be my daily driver. wanna keep in warranty and keep mainenace costs down.
Same thing i said when i got it 1 month ago and now i am ordering headers catless x pipe with a cai and tune lol. Hope u dont get addicted with all the fun mods. Lol

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol haha I only plan on doing 3.73 gears. Flowmaster Outlaw Axleback. Light suspension mods to decrease body roll. Oil sep.

I'm just trying to get a feel for how strong and reliable the manual trans is

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
13gtDarkKnight said:
Lol haha I only plan on doing 3.73 gears. Flowmaster Outlaw Axleback. Light suspension mods to decrease body roll. Oil sep.

I'm just trying to get a feel for how strong and reliable the manual trans is
The first 600 miles i felt it kind of bad but i was told by everyone and the dealer that it was normal and was just breaking in, and it was true now it runs superrrrr smooth, just dont beat on the car too hard for the first 500-800 miles

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
An auto isn't fun? The good thing about manuals is it gets rid of texting and driving. I personally will never own a manual mustang, not because I text and drive, but because I have no interest in taking my chances on a mt82. The auto trans are getting better and better. I have raced plenty of mustangs on the street, and the manuals get inconsistent launches and shifts from the drivers I've raced. They could just be bad drivers though I guess. If the trans changes in the future, I will consider a manual.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Napoleon85 said:
I would get an auto if I wanted to build a drag car.. or if they ever come out with paddle shifters. For anything else, manuals rule.
The new SST works great with a tune...not saying its comparable to DCT ha. That feature and the reliability of the auto is why I went that route. I will be adding power adders though.
For fun DD factor, go manual.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Mikeyt03 said:
An auto isn't fun? The good thing about manuals is it gets rid of texting and driving. I personally will never own a manual mustang, not because I text and drive, but because I have no interest in taking my chances on a mt82. The auto trans are getting better and better. I have raced plenty of mustangs on the street, and the manuals get inconsistent launches and shifts from the drivers I've raced. They could just be bad drivers though I guess. If the trans changes in the future, I will consider a manual.
Most of the people that own manual is not bc they want to be faster, it is because we enjoy the joy of driving and changing gear our self. I had 2 auto car before and it just wasnt the same in my opinion..

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmmm but aren't the autos much better?

How is the pressure on the clutch. I broke my back and neck in 2010. And have pretty bad nerve damage on the left side of my body. So I don't wanna have a back spasm going down the road when using the clutch

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right and that's why I'd get a manual. You feel in complete control of your machine. It's more like you drive the car instead of ride along and steer

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
13gtDarkKnight said:
Right and that's why I'd get a manual. You feel in complete control of your machine. It's more like you drive the car instead of ride along and steer
Exactly!!!!!!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What I have found that when people miss gears and blame it on the equipment is they try to force it into gear instead of just letting it work. You should be able to shift with only using 2 fingers to either push or pull.
But of course those than think they have to slam shift and bang gears...then miss, often blame it on the equipment instead of the operator

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

I'll have to go test drive them both next week. See how my back reacts with applying frequent pressure with my left foot.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
13gtDarkKnight said:
What I have found that when people miss gears and blame it on the equipment is they try to force it into gear instead of just letting it work. You should be able to shift with only using 2 fingers to either push or pull.
But of course those than think they have to slam shift and bang gears...then miss, often blame it on the equipment instead of the operator

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

I'll have to go test drive them both next week. See how my back reacts with applying frequent pressure with my left foot.
That is wat i did, test drive both and choose, at the end of the day they are both great!!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts