Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a long search and finding very little help or pictures on how to. I desided to get my hands on it and fix it

Issue is after long period of use this buttons get carbon build-up and quit working or fail to work propertly in result of ending having to press them harder or not working at all
the fix its simple if you have steady hands and extremely carefull with plastic small pullers pry the button out of the shifter very important to be extremely careful since it might break also make sure is done on hot day since plastic breaks easy on cold weather
uploadfromtaptalk1441405694307.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1441405715033.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1441405741331.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1441405777914.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1441405758587.jpg

I used an eraser to cleanup the carbon buildup put everything back together and it works like brand new

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks for posting this how to, great pictures! :thumb:

Just curious, how many miles are on your Stang? How often do you use your Select Shift buttons? Once in a while, every day, multiple times each day?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've had my car for a little over two years and 14,000 miles and I have not used these buttons yet. I guess I should try them out before my warranty is gone.

Wayne

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for posting this how to, great pictures! :thumb:

Just curious, how many miles are on your Stang? How often do you use your Select Shift buttons? Once in a while, every day, multiple times each day?
Just hit the 20k mark i got it with 16k not sure how much use previous owned did to the buttons but on the 6 month i had it i can say i use it every day

·
Registered
18 Posts
Button problems again

I am new to the forum and just found this thread looking for button problems. Mine had become difficult to upshift at just shy of 19,000 miles. The dealer dealt with it under warranty. Now, about 27 months later and nearing 44,000 miles it is doing it again. I would love to be able to fix it myself. Do you have any info on the pullers you used to remove the SelectShift button from the shift handle? Also, is there any trick to pulling the green circuit panel loose from the switch? I wonder why it only seems to be a problem when upshifting. Downshifting works just fine.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used small watch or jewelry flat screw driver and very careful pry out its very small tabs and they are easy to brake

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also depends on how much use u give to the buttons get use to doing it every now and then I'm on my 2nd time doing it I use the buttons almost all the time

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Honestly hardest scaryest part is taking it out of the shifter feels like something will break but one out next step is to take chrome trim like you see on first picture 2 chrome tabs on the top and 2 like it on the other side then the 2 black ones next to it and the 2 on the opposite side let me know if u need me to point them on the pictures

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wish I would have made a video when I did mines I guess I'll try to remember next time I do it.. it's just hard to do so while holding a phone to record unless I get a second person to film lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks. Pointers on the pictures would be a big help. The weather is a bit cool right now (Western Washington State) so I'll probably wait a few days for it to warm up a bit more before I work on it. I suppose I could always use a hair dryer to warm up the shift knob. I have some very small screwdrivers I can use to get the button out of the handle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wish I would have made a video when I did mines I guess I'll try to remember next time I do it.. it's just hard to do so while holding a phone to record unless I get a second person to film lol

Good thought. I have a GoPro camera and should film mine when I do it. Just have to figure out how to mount it so I don't have to hold it while performing surgery. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks again. It looks like the chrome tabs hold the switch into the shift handle and the black tabs hold the switch parts together.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
? Mark means I can't remember if that's actually a tab or not but once u have out out and chrome part off will be easy to figure out you will know what I mean it's easy to figure out just make sure u do on warm weather cold weather and plastic tabs and not friendly

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again. It looks like the chrome tabs hold the switch into the shift handle and the black tabs hold the switch parts together.
Actually if I remember correctly * marks actually hold the button to the shifter and the ? Marks are the actual tabs that keep it together

1 - 20 of 69 Posts