Mustang Evolution Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Thanks for this post! We have almost 58,000 mi. on the littlepony and we use the +- daily. live in the mountains. It just recently started to act up. Be pulling it apart in the morning. What type of eraser did you use? One on the top of a #2 pencil?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for this post! We have almost 58,000 mi. on the littlepony and we use the +- daily. live in the mountains. It just recently started to act up. Be pulling it apart in the morning. What type of eraser did you use? One on the top of a #2 pencil?
Yeah any kind it's just to remove carbon residue on the contacts also a little bit to clean up the black bumps on the rubber button

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just make sure the eraser has not become hard from age. Test it on a pencil mark on paper to ensure that it erases cleanly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I did mine this afternoon and have some observations.

It is obviously easier to perform this surgery with the shift lever in D or S. There is a plastic plate on the right side of the shift lever with an indentation at the back. A slot screw driver can be used to remove that plate. Look down into the area below the plate and you will see a sort of cream colored plastic bit. Use a long screw driver to push the plastic bit (forward if I recall correctly) while you pull the shift lever back into D or S. Put the plastic plate back on so you won't drop things into that well. The shift lever can be moved forward again without pressing on that plastic bit.

It took me a good bit of fiddling around to get the button out and there is not a lot of free play in the wire attached to it. Just take it slow and easy.

The bezel came off of the button pretty easily, and the black rocker button came out easily also, although that is not necessary.

It took a lot more fiddling around to get the green plate shown above removed from the button, but I was able to do so without breaking anything. My green plate did not have an excessive amount of carbon on the contacts, but I used an eraser on them anyway. I also used it on the round bits that touch the gold contacts.

It was fairly easy to get the green plate back in, but not as easy to get the black rocker button back in or the bezel back on. It was also not that easy getting the button back into the shift lever, but it obviously will go.

The good news is that it operated like new during my test drive after the surgery. I just hope it is a very long time before I have to do that again.

·
Registered
739 Posts

Here it is the end of November and a finally am getting to fixing the select shift.
I thought it was difficult to get the switch out till it came time to take it apart.
With patients and perseverance I managed to get it apart with no damage, a minor split of one of the little ring looking tabs, no big deal, went back together perfect and it works 95% better.
Don't think I want to do this again any time soon. It took almost 55,000 to get dirty the first time, if this lasts that long again, woo-hoo :dance:

·
Registered
812 Posts
My question is....why do you guys use the button at all ? I just put my shifter in S mode & let the computer do the shifting. Very doubtful anyone can shift as quickly, accurately & smoothly as the computer. I drive in S mode 100% of the time & never use the buttons.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My question is....why do you guys use the button at all ? I just put my shifter in S mode & let the computer do the shifting. Very doubtful anyone can shift as quickly, accurately & smoothly as the computer. I drive in S mode 100% of the time & never use the buttons.
When I drive autocross I use the button and never get out of second but sometimes drop back down to first. Around town there are several hills that I take in third where fully automatic would upshift. The same is true on the highway. I prefer to keep the revs up and be able to accelerate more readily if needed. In all other cases I also let the computer do it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
So, if a guy wanted to replace the switch with a new one, Does somebody know the part number for it? I've searched the net and can't seem to find it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I followed everything above and now the white wire is nearly cut clean in half not sure when it occurred but whenever I touch the two wires it upshifts as normal is it worth taking to an audio shop and have them crimp the wires together?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I assume the button is not reinstalled. If that is the case I would certainly get the break repaired. Mine is still shifting up and down just fine.

·
Registered
739 Posts
You can probably fix the wire yourself if you try. You were able to go this far. It's worth a try.
But if you have the shop fix it will be worth it. Good luck friend.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah it is a pretty clean break on both sides and when i touch the two wires together with just my hands i can hold the shifter and just go up and down as if it isnt broken. So is this a pretty good bet that its okay and safe to do?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Go slow, take your time, it'll be fine. I know you can do it. Do you have a pencil soldering iron? Strip just a little off each end, solder and tape. You can do it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I actually don't own one but I figured if I have one shot at this I may as well get a professional to do it right the first time I try to avoid the dealer at all costs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Go slow, take your time, it'll be fine. I know you can do it. Do you have a pencil soldering iron? Strip just a little off each end, solder and tape. You can do it.
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is a pic think i can save it? I dont think I will be taking the chance to fix it considering i only get one shot

21 - 40 of 73 Posts