Mustang Evolution Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well I tried it and almost had it then failed terribly the wire broke off completely ? Do you know what steps I need to take to replace it what all will I need ??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Schoonover sent this to get the shifter parts, and you maybe able to google to find just the switch and there is the junk yard. Also inquire on here, maybe someone knows another route.
Where did it break at? You can pop the console up and get to the wires under the console. Youtube is your friend for that.:eek:
Literally the white wire attached to the button came off everything else is still intact but IDk what I would even need to replace I'm assuming just the shifter cables

·
Registered
762 Posts
If you pop the console up you can see the wires, you could even replace the whole wire at that point. Once you lift the console up you'll have access to the whole wire harness. You then could disconnect said harness, pull switch and wires thru shifter and repair wire. I'm sure you can Youtube how to lift console and gain access to the wires. I googled paddle shifters for our 2014 V6 and found a site where he shows you how to install them and that showed how to do what I'm talking about. I'll look again and send the site address.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you pop the console up you can see the wires, you could even replace the whole wire at that point. Once you lift the console up you'll have access to the whole wire harness. You then could disconnect said harness, pull switch and wires thru shifter and repair wire. I'm sure you can Youtube how to lift console and gain access to the wires. I googled paddle shifters for our 2014 V6 and found a site where he shows you how to install them and that showed how to do what I'm talking about. I'll look again and send the site address.
I appreciate the help so much I'm trying to avoid the dealer at all costs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well I took it apart and after that I was as lost I'm actually gonna take it To the dealer Friday I'm trying to think of a good excuse so I can get it fixed under warranty

·
Registered
762 Posts
Put it all back together and and tell them it quit working. Make sure to put the broken wire back into the switch hole. Your not lying, it did quit working, just don't have to tell them you were in there. Best wishes for you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Put it all back together and and tell them it quit working. Make sure to put the broken wire back into the switch hole. Your not lying, it did quit working, just don't have to tell them you were in there. Best wishes for you.
That's just it the other wire is stuck inside a crimp and I can't get it out I wonder what replacement costs would be if I do have to pay? I wanna tell them the wire must of just snapped lol is it bad to say I took it apart to see if some dust was stuck and that's what caused the select shift to not work and it came apart when I placed everything back together?

·
Registered
274 Posts
That's just it the other wire is stuck inside a crimp and I can't get it out I wonder what replacement costs would be if I do have to pay? I wanna tell them the wire must of just snapped lol is it bad to say I took it apart to see if some dust was stuck and that's what caused the select shift to not work and it came apart when I placed everything back together?
They will void warranty on it if you say you opened it up.

·
Banned
145 Posts
So I guess so there is no way to explain the wire breaking off and ripping in half huh? Dang it I hope this isn't an expensive replacement it's just a cable i don't think it would be
Purchase a soldering iron off of Amazon, it will pay dividends in the future. This is one of the easiest fixes that you can do, and after you are done you will feel proud of yourself.

The dealer will cost you more $$$, but be quicker. Solder and an iron will be less $$, more time, but you learn.

I would strip the plastic off each end and solder a patch wire (any sheathed wire) tape it up, and for extra measure I always include shrink tubing on my patchwork.

Tips: twist all exposed wire (if it is strand wire) and then tin the tips.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Purchase a soldering iron off of Amazon, it will pay dividends in the future. This is one of the easiest fixes that you can do, and after you are done you will feel proud of yourself.

The dealer will cost you more $$$, but be quicker. Solder and an iron will be less $$, more time, but you learn.

I would strip the plastic off each end and solder a patch wire (any sheathed wire) tape it up, and for extra measure I always include shrink tubing on my patchwork.

Tips: twist all exposed wire (if it is strand wire) and then tin the tips.
Yeah it's costing me 314 dollars but I get a new shifter and everything out the door I learned my lesson lol.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yeah it's costing me 314 dollars but I get a new shifter and everything out the door I learned my lesson lol.
Never be discouraged to try and work on your Mustang yourself. I guarantee you it would have cost $314 whether you took it in before or after you tried repairing it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah definitely not I try my best not to take it to shops etc unless necessary but this time it's necessary I'll update you once it's installed parts should be here this week.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hey Mystique, Parker is right, I'm glad you tried and you should be proud that you tried. Don't be to hard on yourself because you didn't fix it. Remember it was broken before you started. It would have cost you $$$ even if you hadn't tried. I say good try. Never stop trying.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts