Mustang Evolution Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fixed

Glad I came across this post. My mustang has a little over 38,000 miles on it and recently the SelectShift downshift button became essentially non-operational. Was ready to schedule to have it fixed but decided to see if the situation was common. Apparently for those of us who use it, it is. I tackled the posted solution and happy to say it works. Tough to get that switch out and get it apart . 1" more wire play would have been helpful. Took about 1/2 hour working carefully.

Thank you for this post.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tuner Cleaner for the Shifter Switch

I use Tuner Cleaner from Wal-Mart that has a little red straw nozzle. The tuner cleaner is made for electronic switches and other electronic components to clean them. So it won't hurt your switch. I spray this in the gap between the switch, not too much, while pressing up and down on the switch. Do this while the engine is off. Let it set for about 15 mins to dry before driving. I do this about every 20k miles and it works. Plus you don't have to worry about getting the switch out and possibly tearing it up.

The can of Tuner cleaner is called 'CRC QD Electronic Cleaner' at Wally World. It costs around $7 or $8 bucks..

·
Registered
19 Posts
We took our Mustang to Northwest Arkansas (we have moved from Washington State to Frisco, TX so only a day's drive away) for the Boston Mountains Tour arranged by Honda S2000 owners (I used to have one of those). We were put into a group whose leader set a blistering pace along twisty two lane roads. I was having some brake shuddering when doing fast and twisty downhills, so I started aggressively using my SelectShift to get the gearbox to take some of the strain off of the brakes. That worked very well and at just over 50K miles mine is still shifting very well.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Little update!! It is time to replace the membrane rubber contacts on the pad that makes contact on the board for shifting I found that the Xfinity remote on the picture have buttons that perfectly lined up with the button on the shifter so I deside to use it as replacement

Just a have to cut it to fit the housing and cut the button in the middle to get it out of the way also cut the rubber studs to the length of the factory pad it works great any questions let me know

·
Registered
739 Posts
The littepony now has almost 100,000 miles and it's time to clean the switch again. We use the SS often, this will be the second time I have cleaned it. This tip works well. Cleaning lasted about 50k.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
The littepony now has almost 100,000 miles and it's time to clean the switch again. We use the SS often, this will be the second time I have cleaned it. This tip works well. Cleaning lasted about 50k.
I was down to having to clean it almost every month then realized it wasn't cleaning that needed the buttons were just worned out I need it replacement but unfortunately they don't sell this separately so ended up doing what I did worked out perfect

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don't pull your switch!

I did once and it was quite a job getting it out and apart and reinstalled. Yesterday I used
CRC QD Electronic Cleaner as noted by another poster. I gave the switch several good sprays and rocked it back and forth a number of times. Then I repeated that process and left it to dry overnight. Today it shifts perfectly, even under hard acceleration. What a relief to know that I can repeat that process any time it stops shifting perfectly and it will work just fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi this was a pretty descriptive write-up for this repair , i was about to try this on my '14 but i wound up replacing the whole shift knob as the previous owner wore down the leather wrap to the point it looked so old and wore out, replaceing the knob was a chore and a half in itself but looks a whole lot better with the new one, i just need to replace the steering wheel as the person who owned it before me drove with their hand on top of the wheel and it too is worn out, but i think that is a dealer repair due to the many buttons and airbag module any ways i just wanted to say thanks for the write up hope that one day i can help someone out with their repair

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Hi this was a pretty descriptive write-up for this repair , i was about to try this on my '14 but i wound up replacing the whole shift knob as the previous owner wore down the leather wrap to the point it looked so old and wore out, replaceing the knob was a chore and a half in itself but looks a whole lot better with the new one, i just need to replace the steering wheel as the person who owned it before me drove with their hand on top of the wheel and it too is worn out, but i think that is a dealer repair due to the many buttons and airbag module any ways i just wanted to say thanks for the write up hope that one day i can help someone out with their repair
Hello!! The steering wheel is not as hard to do here is the steps I did mine not long ago

20200106_200913.jpg
20200106_200839.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
might be something i might tackle not sure i have to send it to the dealer anyhow to get a few repairs done before i insure it for the summer pesky rodents used my firewall padding for nesting and my storage insurance is covering the repair so the dealer will have it for about a week depending on their workload

61 - 73 of 73 Posts