Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna install a Roush cold air on my 2013 GT and I asked the associate if the louvers on the hood would let water into the intake, he replied saying that that would be a problem but that he has heard about people being able to mod around it. Does anyone know a way that I could get away from this problem?
Here's the link to the intake:
Mustang Cold Air Intake Kit (2010-2012)

·
Registered
453 Posts
You could fabricate some sort of cover to go over it. That intake hooks into the factory snorkel so it would still have a supply of cold air.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
factory snorkel so it would still have a supply of cold air.
What is a/the snorkel?
and i would imagine under normal driving circumstances the water would just flow over them, but i am still worried cause i live in houston so i have to deal w/ standing traffic and the unpredictability of texas weather.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The box the air filter sits in hooks into the "snorkel" that fed the factory cold air intake. Not all of them do, as I understand it. It essentially pipes in air from behind the grille into the airbox.

Keep in mind that you'll get no real performance benefit from that intake ... my car came new from the dealer with one installed, and I replaced it with a Steeda and a tune.

If you just don't want to tune now, there are other options that have inserts that make them "no tune" intakes, but you can take the insert out later if you decide you want to tune. I think Airaid has that option.

Don't paint yourself into a corner.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Na I really just wanna do it for the sound, ive read good reviews for it too.
but really its just something for me to do while waiting to get the money to do a complete RS3 upgrade which im going to do in about 4 years, possibly when my warranty is out.
2013 ROUSH Stage 3 Mustang

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

the RS3 has a supercharger upgrade and its got a completely different intake sys that is adapted by Roush for the louvers.

·
Registered
453 Posts
It did have a decent sound ... but the Steeda was night and day in regards to sound. I could not hear the Roush inside the car (I have my sound tube deleted though) but the Steeda I can here inside the car and over the sound of Roush axle-backs and Boss 302 sides.

But, I didn't have any issues with the Roush intake - it did what it did just fine, and it fit perfectly.

·
Registered
453 Posts
My car was a "dealer created Roush package" and it also included the Black shifter ball and replacement boot. I installed a Barton shifter and bracket and the Roush ball and boot worked fine with it.

Don't skip a shifter upgrade ... IMO aside from a tune and exhaust it's the other thing that really transforms the car, and I do not recall anyone denied warranty service for a shifter.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its a looks thing for me in this case, if the dealer doesnt like it i can just unscrew the ball and put the original shifter back on.
Im not doing anything serious w/ the car so i dont need a short throw or a 3.73 diff. Really the only aftermarket would be the RS3 and then from there the phase 2 upgrade on the charger and then i would be done, so im not worried about the shifts or the x-pipe
BTW how many mufflers are on the actual 5.0 gt, besides the cats?

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Whats IMO also?

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Don't get the roush. Such a waste of money. I'm getting rid of mine for the steeda here at some point. Wish I had never got it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Its a looks thing for me in this case, if the dealer doesnt like it i can just unscrew the ball and put the original shifter back on.
Im not doing anything serious w/ the car so i dont need a short throw or a 3.73 diff. Really the only aftermarket would be the RS3 and then from there the phase 2 upgrade on the charger and then i would be done, so im not worried about the shifts or the x-pipe
BTW how many mufflers are on the actual 5.0 gt, besides the cats?

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Whats IMO also?
Internet-speak for "in my opinion"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts