Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that the top speed of the 13' v6 is 113mph, and that it can do more but Ford has it governed, is this true? WHY FORD WHY?

·
Registered
744 Posts
NicholasP said:
The drive shaft will blow up as well as the tires
The driveshaft part is true. Only the stock 17" tires would have problems above that speed. Others would be fine. Get a aluminum driveshaft+tune and I am sure you could get 140+.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
BlackedStang said:
The driveshaft part is true. Only the stock 17" tires would have problems above that speed. Others would be fine. Get a aluminum driveshaft+tune and I am sure you could get 140+.
Drive shaft fails at 136mph. The stock limit on my car was 120 I raised it to 125.

·
Registered
412 Posts
my advice is get an tuner to remove the speed governor and get an aluminum driveshaft from AM. you should be good to go on a track of course lol

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
winkawak said:
my advice is get an tuner to remove the speed governor and get an aluminum driveshaft from AM. you should be good to go on a track of course lol
Yea once u get the drive shaft you can remove the speed limiter entirely

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I found a aluminum drive shaft on AM for about $600, getting that would fix the speed issues? (I have v6 performance pack) What do you think my new top speed would be? It also states that the drive shaft would improve acceleration, which is a plus.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
mrkrabz said:
So I found a aluminum drive shaft on AM for about $600, getting that would fix the speed issues? (I have v6 performance pack) What do you think my new top speed would be? It also states that the drive shaft would improve acceleration, which is a plus.
Ur top speed will depend on any mods you've done. Prolly like 145 if you have my headers, xpipe, mufflers, CAI, tune possibly more

·
Registered
809 Posts
Even with the drive shaft you will still need a tune to get rid of the electronic governor...

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
A. You really have no business ever going that fast on a public road

B. The tires are probably not rated to go above that

·
Registered
744 Posts
SpectorV said:

A. When did he say he would be doing this on a public road.

B. He has the performance package with upgraded tires that are good for 150+ MPH.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
BlackedStang said:

B. He has the performance package with upgraded tires that are good for 150+ MPH.
Where else will you be going faster then the top speed limiter allows

I don't recall any new 6's breaking that on the strip.. :bad:

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Originally Posted by BlackedStang

Under your rules, there no point in any car that goes over 70mph. Is that correct?

Thank you, someone who understands.

Also, higher top speed is often accompanied with faster acceleration.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Understands what?
:confused:
Understands that just because I want to have a higher top speed on my car, doesn't mean that i'm going to be pushing that speed on the streets. I never said, "113 isn't fast enough for me on public roads", all I asked was why it was limited to that, and how do I get it to go faster.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
mrkrabz said:
Understands that just because I want to have a higher top speed on my car, doesn't mean that i'm going to be pushing that speed on the streets. I never said, "113 isn't fast enough for me on public roads", all I asked was why it was limited to that, and how do I get it to go faster.
Answered and answered.
In the interest of your and the publics safety I suggest you contact a tuning expert locally or someone like AM to be sure you get the most up to date and accurate info available as there seems to be a lot of theories surrounding top speed and safety on the new 6's.

·
Registered
744 Posts
deadsp0t said:
Where else will you be going faster then the top speed limiter allows

I don't recall any new 6's breaking that on the strip.. :bad:
Have you ever heard of a "race track"...

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

When car and driver took the 2011 Mustang V6 around Virginia International Raceway they were hitting the top speed governor for more than 15 seconds per lap. A drag strip is not the only place you can go over 100+ MPH legally...

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
BlackedStang said:
Have you ever heard of a "race track"...

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

When car and driver took the 2011 Mustang V6 around Virginia International Raceway they were hitting the top speed governor for more than 15 seconds per lap. A drag strip is not the only place you can go over 100+ MPH legally...
I'm very familiar with VIR..

·
Registered
809 Posts
Answered and answered.
In the interest of your and the publics safety I suggest you contact a tuning expert locally or someone like AM to be sure you get the most up to date and accurate info available as there seems to be a lot of theories surrounding top speed and safety on the new 6's.
THIS... I cant say how true the statement "there seems to be a lot of theories surrounding top speed and safety on the new 6's" is... There are multiple theories about when your drive shaft will break and what tires are rated to. On the Evolution, most stick with 125MPH being a breaking point but as you can read some think it is more than this and others lower. On other forums people continue to disagree and to be honest Im not sure that anyone has put the real leg work in to find an answer backed by Ford. Honestly brother, your SAFE bet is to leave that governor be until you put in the leg work yourself and get an answer that you could have total confidence in. After all, if your drive shaft were to snap at 125, you have no safety hoop to keep that shaft from digging into pavement. There is a very real possibility that it will catch an edge and sent your car our of control... at best you snap a shaft and maybe do some damage to the rear end or transmission. At worst, you can kill yourself and anyone else near you on the road... I respect that you just want the best performance from your car, but please, everyone, take the safest route for yourselves and the other drivers on the road. None of us want to see any other person or car damaged in our never ending quest for positive G force.

You wouldn't put a gun to your head and pull the trigger because someone else told you it wasn't loaded, would you?

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
This is getting way to off topic all he asked was about his top speed and how to get it higher what he does with the information that was given to him we can only assume. There is no reason to accuse him of doing it on public roads cause that was never said. But just some quick advice I you do raise your top speed do it on the track an have some fun.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.