Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2014, Ford will celebrate the Mustang’s 50th anniversary and it will do so by launching a brand new model. The revelation comes from the company’s design chief, J Mays, who spoke to journalist during the 64th International Auto Show in Frankfurt.
According to Mays, the design of the next-generation Mustang has already “locked down” three years ahead of its launch. The real surprise, though, is that Mays states that the new version of Ford’s iconic pony car will look more into the future than in to its past.

"Both redesigns introduced in 2005 and 2010 are retro vehicles," Mays told journalist on the sidelines of the Frankfurt Motor Show. "The challenge with the 50th anniversary car is to not just look back over your shoulder, but to try to win all of the Mustang faithful yet bring the brand forward as well.”

That’s quite a high order, but Mays is more than confident that, even though the new Mustang will be different, it will still retain its character.

“It has to look like a Mustang, but you go down a list of things than might or might not be necessary to make the car look like a Mustang," said Mays.

Ford really needs the new Mustang to succeed, as the current model is lagging behind its arch enemy/rival, GM's Chevrolet Camaro. In the first eight months of the year, Chevrolet's pony car has outsold the Mustang by more than 10,000 units – and that’s not counting the convertible version that recently hit the market.
Less retro more modern? Possibly be bringing back an older body style (like challenger) and making it modern? I'd like to see a '70s Mach 1 fastback style. Your ideas?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read a thing where the Designer said they r redoing it for the 50th

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

And CEO

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
2015 is the 50th technically. The original Ford Mustang was revealed in April of 1964. By today standards that car would be a Model year 1965.

The time frame they released the original one was against industry standards so there is a bit of debate. But the next redesigned Mustang with be 2015 model year and be considered the 50th anniversary.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
They've said it won't be retro. See January MM&FF page 28 there's a pic of a proto type with styling cues that may be found on the 2015

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Right, but what they were eluding to was that it could hide some styling. The car is actually a proto for a whole different car.

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Im not going to judge by the picture but personally Im not digging that. If that's what the 15 is going to look like then Im so glad I bought my 2011. Oh well there is always the next new design after this 2015 new design. I hope my 11 holds out till the next generation stang comes out after the 15 stang. Yuk.

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
soccerfreak2143 said:
IMO, if you see any picture of a possible design now, the actual one will look nothing like that.
Dude, I hope so because I found that car picture on line and that $hit looks like an audi or some other european car. Certainly not an American pony car. Dear Ford if you read this site at all, please please please don't make the next generation stang look like that picture. Good lord. That was horrible.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I think that ford kinda short themselves in the foot for one reason.

2013 was the new mid model revamp, which was quite a bit of change

2014 will be the 50th anniversary edition, same as it has been looking at the 09, 04, 99, etc as brent said, even though the model year may have been a 65, they still cant change the fact that they have been running with the '9s and '4s for the ending year anniversaries.

2015 will be the new body style

I think they kiled it because you now have 3 different groups of people you will have spread out over the next three years, thus shrinking your marketable crowd. I personally am torn. I was budgeting to buy a 50th ann, but what if I like the redesign, then what. Damn you ford for dropping the ball on this on for me.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Guys, no need to worry-trust me. The MY2015 model will be all new. Some key design cues will be pulled from the Evos concept but the 50th Anniversary model will definitely be a modern interpretation of a Mustang-not a production version of the Evos.

Again, nothing too tacky, just simple Mustang design elements but with a much needed modern twist. As I stated before, fit & finish (read quality) as well as handling will be world class. Keep the faith and stay tuned...

·
Registered
903 Posts
Guys, no need to worry-trust me. The MY2015 model will be all new. Some key design cues will be pulled from the Evos concept but the 50th Anniversary model will definitely be a modern interpretation of a Mustang-not a production version of the Evos.

Again, nothing too tacky, just simple Mustang design elements but with a much needed modern twist. As I stated before, fit & finish (read quality) as well as handling will be world class. Keep the faith and stay tuned...
that still doesnt solve the issue that there are people who want the revamped 2013, the 50th anniversary 2014, and then the all new 2015. instead of waiting, and holding the style from 10-13 then revamping and redesigning the 2014 50th anniversary as one big change, I think they would have sold more numbers. Just my .02

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Don't matter when it comes or how it looks. Some will love it some will hate it, but in the end they will buy it and so it all continues.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts