Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TL:DR Will the car drive fine with the cruise sensor out of its housing and off to the side?

- So wanted to order a different clutch return spring but thought I should try and remove the old one first since it would be fine for a couple days without one. I watched every video under the sun of methods. Tried the vice grip to compress it and it was seemingly impossible to do alone as the spring is too stiff to compress with 1 hand while the others holding the clutch down.
So tried the other one where you remove the cruise sensor from the top of the clutch? Pop off the little clam on the end of the rod and then pull the spring out. I got the sensor out with no issues and the clip as well but when it came to the “compress the clutch a bit and the arm will wiggle off” that wasn’t gonna either. Basically felt welded on. So after 20 Friccin minutes bending every which way aNd cutting up my hands to try and get the sensor back in it just wasn’t happening and I lost light. So I’ve got the sensor tucked off safe to the side for now but was curious if this would have any effect other than the cruise not working? I don’t plan on leaving it like that for more than tonight. But but I was getting frustrated trying to get it back into the slot so I gave up for the night before I break it out of anger

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Sometimes, I find it best to stop what I'm doing, contemplate the life choices that brought me to this point, regroup, and get a fresh start in the morning.

If the car will start and run without the safety switch in place, I don't see where there would be a problem.
The cruise control will probably still work. It just will not deactivate when the clutch pedal is depressed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I got frustrated so I just stopped lol. It came out so easily and I can see how it goes back in, just couldnt get it. I don’t plan on needing to go anywhere tonight I just wanted to make sure it wouldn’t be a problem if I did since the reason I stopped was because it’s obvs cheap plastic and I didn’t want to break it especially when it’s a $10 spring I want to swap out, don’t wanna turn it into a $100+ job. (No clue what the switch costs just making a point lol)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update: After taking a break overnight I managed to both get the spring out and get the sensor back in this morning without breaking anything. Unfortunately the reteainer clip popped off and went off into outer space or something when putting it back on. Got a new one ordered through my local ford dealer but wont be here until Friday or Monday.Checked Oreilly and Autozone too with no luck but it doesnt seem that cylinder arm moves at all without it so it should be fine until then I will just keep an eye on it. >Shifting is MUCH better without it but will probably still order the Steeda replacement

·
Registered
402 Posts
Change that probably will, to a soon purchase. Some guys run without a spring at all, but there's a difference between no spring and light spring. I've read a few reports of longterm issues from running no spring.

It could be BS but why take the chance. Just my 2¢

1 - 5 of 5 Posts