Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! My 2014 Mustang v6 3.7 engine I notice has a light knock noise at idle, it doesn't go away when the car is warm. The ticking I know some Mustangs do this and I am not concerned with, but I am unsure about this other light knocking noise. I can't hear it in the car but I can hear it under the hood on the driver's side. Of course it is just out of bumper to bumper 3year/36K mile warranty, with just under 36,500 miles. I called my dealership (I have bought 4 cars from in the past) and they are telling me they will charge for diagnostics, major bummer. Is this something to worry about? The car is completely stock with the exception of new floor mats :)
Video I posted is at youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=401Yl1Jb9S4 I also uploaded it to the forum as well, should I be concerned with the thumping noise, you need to turn your speakers up to hear it over the clicking noise. Thanks for any help or thoughts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i have that exact same noise coming from under my hood started about a month ago after doing an oil change myself. i previously changed the oil mobil 1 full synthetic and filter and had no problem until the recent oil change.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I notice it every once in a while as well, been doing that since I bought mine at 35k miles. Nothing has happened to it 36,000+ miles later, so I'm not worried about it. Just attributing it to the engine being well broken in.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Sounds like something 'major' wrong with your engine. My 2011 doesn't make a sound any where near like in the videos.

·
Registered
812 Posts
The ticking sounds like Cam Phasers. The thumping sounds serious...like something going on at the Crank. I'd have that checked out.
I hate the newer Mustangs (05 - Up). I have an 08 GT. Seems Ford is building crappier sounding motors after 04. Especially the Cam Phaser issue where it always sounds like your car is low on oil. Sure they're putting more H.P. now but the motors don't seem to be lasting.
FORD...Go back to Push Rod Motors & give them the H.P. !!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No CHeck engine light. I called up the salesmen that I bought it from, let me remind you I have bought 3 cars just from him, total for from the dealership and he is staying I need pay a diagnostic fee just for them to look at it. I am so sicken by this, here I thought I had a dealership I could trust.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do any of you know how I can escalate this, I understand u am out of my bumper to bumper 3year/36K, but it's a 2014 just out if warrenty I have under 36,500 miles. If this dealership doesn't make this right sorry guys, I think I need to walk away from Ford. I am sure I will trade this for a V8 in the next 3-5 years, I don't keep cars long due to me wracking up the miles, but instead of a GT I may be forced to go with a SS.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Any repair (and I would include diagnostic with that) that needs to be done to the engine should be covered under the 60k mile powertrain warranty without costing you a single dime. Bumper to bumper warranty is more for body and cosmetic issues, nothing to do with the motor. Go to another Ford dealer if they're not working with you on this issue. Any Ford dealer can take care of a warranty covered repair.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Really even to diagnose the issue? That should be cover too under the 5y/60K? Thank you for all the replies I welcome all of them, keep the coming. Oil is fine, actually think maybe to much oil is in her but the same dealership did the oil change too. The oil is still clear as well. Great idea going to another dealership, I didn't think that was an option. I was always afraid of not getting taken care of since I didn't buy it there, but the dealership I bought it from isn't doing much for me anyways.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah they should take it in for diagnosis without it costing you anything, no questions asked, except for probably the usual "has the car been abused?" questions. But even at 36k miles, a car like this that's been dogged on a little bit shouldn't be ready to throw a piston already. That's a manufacturer defect.

I finally put on some good headphones to listen to the video, that is an odd sound that it's making, and I could swear I've heard it before with mine some time ago. I drive the hell out of this car, and it's been rock solid reliable with 71k miles on it now.

One thing I live by, is that most engines are always to going to make an odd sound or two of some kind. As long as it's not anymore audible than the usual injector and valve chatter, it's good by me. Anything audible from inside the car, would be an issue. In your case since it's happening in random intervals, that is something to be concerned about, so deff get it checked out.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Have you talked to the service department about this? For example get their opinion as to whether they feel a diagnostic is required or recommended based on what they hear.
Also, discuss the possibility as to whether it could be something that would be covered under the power train warranty or what would it take to be covered.
In other words, some dialog regarding possible problems, or lack of them, and whether it is recommended that it be pursued, should take place.

In the absence of some level of cooperation from the service department, you should take it to Ford Motors indicating your concern for potential drive train related problems,which may worsen in time.

EDIT: I believe that the dealer must feel a diagnostic is required before they take it upon themselves to do one without a charge. If you request one and it finds no problem, you pay for it. If a power train related problem is found they would not charge for diagnostic. But this should all be discussed with the service people, before hand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great stuff folks, thank you for all the input. I think I will swing by tomorrow to the dealership and ask to talk to the service department, then go from there. I will keep you all posted. Thx again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Just brought it in with the knock to the dealership. Service Department tells me not to worry, it is due to being so cold outside (24*F). The knock is normal, so is the tick. I guess 2014 Ford Mustang Cyclone engines are supposed to sound like in my opinion an old tractor in cold weather. He did point out the same knock noise coming from the passenger side in the rear of the engine as well, but it wasn't as noticeable nor load as the driver side. I did notice the knock only happens after the engine has warmed up and it continues to make the same noise when revving but at a faster frequency of course.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Like Vig said, but we all know if every thing was AOK, the cold weather can make an engine sound more noisy, but it should quiet down as is gets warm. I not buying it though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts