Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to buy 1" spacers for my 2014 V6 with the 18" premium wheels, will I need to cut the lugs any to make them fit? I have heard with stock wheels you do, but a Google search turns up nothing on the 18" premium package wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
727 Posts
Cut the lugs? :uhh:

You'll need longer wheel studs for sure so your lugs have enough to thread onto.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You might need to. I had to cut down the studs a bit for the aftermarket 20's I go to fit flush with the spacers on. 6 years later, I shouldn't of done that. I just got the FR500 wheels and they fit flush with my fenders now. But now that I no longer need the 1" spacers. I have to replace the studs to avoid the fender rub I'm getting with them on. Make sure you think long term. If you plan to keep the same wheels for as long as you have your pony, then by all means. But if you know you'll want different wheel. Look at the offset, if you can get the same offset on your next wheel set. You'll be fine. If you do cut, make sure you use Anti-seize on the studs and the back of the spacer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm powder coating the wheels on have and I'm keeping them. They're part of the reason I chose the pony package. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
179 Posts
This is what I mean when I say you have to cut the stock studs. See that little bit that sticks out from the spacer? That's what needs to go in order for the wheels to sit flush. The aftermarket studs will fit just fine. I didn't need to change the studs that came on the spacer. But it may be different for others.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a good amount of stud to cut off. I saw one person say they only had to cut at little off the very end. I guess it depends on if the wheels will clear or not?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Or ... just buy rims with the proper offset. 1" is a huge spacer ...
+1 ^ But if you're ballin on a budget. The spacers look good, real good.

Entities, it sure is. Now that I look back at it. Maybe I should saved for a better offset than the one's I was transferring from another stang I had. But they did look mean and I did have them on for about 6 years.
So I guess it was a while before I had to look at them again. I don't plan on changing the FR500's in the near future, so I'm replacing the studs myself. Tossing the spacers.

·
Registered
727 Posts
In the case of that spacer setup, I'd rather buy shorter studs than cut the existing studs.

I still wouldn't run a 1" spacer though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah but being a student, I don't have a lot of expendable income lol and I'm pretty happy with the wheels that came on my car, they just need to be black. If your torque the spacers down right they are completely safe

·
Registered
179 Posts
In the case of that spacer setup, I'd rather buy shorter studs than cut the existing studs.

I still wouldn't run a 1" spacer though.
That will be much easier than having to replace them later as you already have them. It will be a pain to swap them out. But you can do it yourself. If you're set on spacers, plan ahead. At the end of the day, it's your pony.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds good. Ill weigh the pros and cons. Thanks for the tips guys

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
those spacers were not what I was visualizing.......sweet and IDK if you'll need to cut them.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
I ran a 20mm with no trimming, you should be fine. Dont listen to all the people about spacers. I mean, Im not going to lie, they arent the safest things in the world, but just buy some good quality ones and youll be fine. Make sure to torque properly and check them again after a couple hundred miles. Ive run spacers on a few of my cars with no issues.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got billet aluminum. And I'm torquing them to 100ft/lbs and I'll check em after 100 and 300 miles just to be safe. I know a lot of people run them, it's just those few that have bad experiences that get attention about it, and they probably didn't use them correctly. I don't drag my car or drive super aggressive so I think I'll be just fine

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
You shouldn't have to cut that much off the studs, look at the back of the wheel.
There should be pockets where these studs come through. You should only have to cut off 1/4" or so and that part isn't even threaded.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
If I were to buy 1" spacers for my 2014 V6 with the 18" premium wheels, will I need to cut the lugs any to make them fit? I have heard with stock wheels you do, but a Google search turns up nothing on the 18" premium package wheels

I have the 2014 FP6 package with the 18" wheels on my car. If ypu have the same rims as me, I sweated the same thing. The rims are hollow where the spacer lugs seat against the rim. No need to cut the studs at least on rims with recesses like stock rims.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts