Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently checked my coolant level and it was below the cold fill line, so I added some 50/50 coolant. Later that same day I check the coolant and it's basically back down to where I first added coolant in. There's no overheating and the coolant light isn't on, it doesn't even go below the point where I first added but I'm wondering if this is normal. How should I check for leaks? With more coolant or could I use water?

Thanks

·
Registered
443 Posts
Look for evidence of leaks from the waterpump located on the front of the engine. There have been many that have leaked prematurely.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look for evidence of leaks from the waterpump located on the front of the engine. There have been many that have leaked prematurely.
That's my plan, could I just use distilled water? Don't want to waste coolant if I have a leak.

·
Registered
562 Posts
That's my plan, could I just use distilled water? Don't want to waste coolant if I have a leak.

Yes you can add water but if you get the mixture off too much then you will have overheating issues in the summer and freezing in the winter so make sure you have a coolant tester.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
727 Posts
Yea, just get it fixed and then a full flush and filled with coolant before the weather gets cold. Don't want it to freeze.

·
Registered
562 Posts
o
Yea, just get it fixed and then a full flush and filled with coolant before the weather gets cold. Don't want it to freeze.

You won't have to flush and refill unless there is something in the coolant. Just get non diluted coolant and you can use a tester and get it back to range.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
if it is the water pump there is a history of them leaking from the degas hose NOT having a check valve. search for updated degas hose or just look in the V6 forum there are threads about it.

most folks have had luck getting it replaced (pump) under wtty 5/60 I did my hose a preventive

Mud

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Take it to your dealer. They will check it out and replace it for free on your 2014 Mustang :) Post back and tell us what they (your Ford dealer) tell you.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yes you can add water but if you get the mixture off too much then you will have overheating issues in the summer and freezing in the winter so make sure you have a coolant tester.

It will not overheat in the summer, but could freeze in the winter. We don't run ANY coolant in my car because I can't be dumping coolant on track if I have a problem, since it will cause a yellow flag for cleanup, where water wont.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ford TSB 14-0212 addresses this issue

Attachments

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
It will not overheat in the summer, but could freeze in the winter. We don't run ANY coolant in my car because I can't be dumping coolant on track if I have a problem, since it will cause a yellow flag for cleanup, where water wont.
Antifreeze/Coolant raises the temperature at which water boils, so it does help prevent overheating in hot temperatures.

I hope that you are strictly using only distilled water in your cooling system.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
So I recently checked my coolant level and it was below the cold fill line, so I added some 50/50 coolant. Later that same day I check the coolant and it's basically back down to where I first added coolant in. There's no overheating and the coolant light isn't on, it doesn't even go below the point where I first added but I'm wondering if this is normal. How should I check for leaks? With more coolant or could I use water?

Thanks
What ever became of this possible problem?
Hopefully it's been diagnosed by now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What ever became of this possible problem?
Hopefully it's been diagnosed by now.
I actually got some of the cheap coolant repair liquid from amazon, like $4, topped it off and havent had an issue yet. its been a few weeks. I recommend that first if you think you might have a minor leak.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I actually got some of the cheap coolant repair liquid from amazon, like $4, topped it off and havent had an issue yet. its been a few weeks. I recommend that first if you think you might have a minor leak.
Hmmm...not a fan of stop leak products.
If there was, in fact, a leak(?) and it wasn't external, hopefully it wasn't internal.

Thanks for the follow up response.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts