Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1- drop the glove compartment door
2- look for the flat tap with a screw in it around 9 o clock in pict #1
3- unscrew the silver screw, pull on the tab and the hinged door will open up and you will see the filter.
4- pull the filter out and replace it noting air direction arrow.
5- reverse the above procedure. ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1439408591.973090.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1439408608.078838.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are the two pictures in larger size . . . Having some problem with the laptop.
PS the door to the air filter is easily remover to access the filter
ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1439409073.574228.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1439409088.460101.jpg

·
Registered
40 Posts
Do you have to remove the glove box? Is it inside the compartment for the owners book?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
No, you do not have to REMOVE the door . . . It unhooks from both sides and flops down but is still attached.

After the door flops down, looking FORWARD there is a piece of black felt that needs to be pulled aside or better still, I cut both sides so it could be raised out of the way. The drop down shelf for the manual is left in place as there is nothing above it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are looking straight on thru the glove box opening. When you drop the glove box door it will become apparent how everything is oriented. Ive attached the picture or the door that is screwed closed in the first picture. In the previous pictures if you double tap them they should enlarge for better viewing.

ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1439508865.317859.jpg

·
Registered
248 Posts
I didn't think the 15s had been out long enough to clog up filters just yet...unless you drive up and down a dusty road every day.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Normally you are correct. But when someone has bad allergy problems in the MidAtlantic area, changing the filter twice a year helps a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
I didn't think the 15s had been out long enough to clog up filters just yet...unless you drive up and down a dusty road every day.
We drove a couple of hundred miles through a dust storm so bad, that visbility was down to a block or two.........the car and under the hood was a MESS. I have not looked at the cabin filter yet, but ordered one anyway.
FYI........these filters are $25 to $28 at the dealer, and they can be bought on line with free shipping for a little over $17.50.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Are you SURE these are the instructions for the 2015 convertible as well?

I've had the glove box door down three times, taken my iPad with your pics on it and set it on the passenger seat and looked from there to inside the car....and I still do NOT see the same things inside there that your pics show!
I can't see/find "that screw at 9 o'clock" anywhere.....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Convertible..... It would have to be the same. Glove box not just opened but unlatched where the top of the glove comp is almost touching the floor. You need to be behind the glove box. You should see a fiber gray colored mat hanging down and behind that is what you are looking for.

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Convertible..... It would have to be the same. Glove box not just opened but unlatched where the top of the glove comp is almost touching the floor. You need to be behind the glove box. You should see a fiber gray colored mat hanging down and behind that is what you are looking for.

Hope this helps
So, laying on the floor and looking up behind the door?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NO . . . U r making this too hard.
Once your drop the glove box, it does a 180degree so it it touching the floor, u look directly thru the front and u will see a fabric curtain which you pull aside and then you will see something similiar to the attached pictures

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Before you purchase the paper filter to insert for $17.89, thing about purchasing the K&N Filter for $38.99 - 6% discount with FREE SHIPPING FROM AM. The can be cleaned by the kit you use on your CAI Filter. It should last at least 2 years, since it can be reused.

K&N Mustang Cabin Air Filter VF2020 (05-14 All) - Free Shipping

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not trying to be a hater, but I found this writeup to be confusing and only minimally helpful when I did my filter today. As someone who writes instructions for a living, I will try to clarify a few points:

1- drop the glove compartment door
In order to just "drop" the door, you have to first release the tensioner arm along the right hand side by grabbing the knurled end of it and popping it up out of its slot. Push in gently on both sides of the glove compartment walls near the rubber-coated studs so that they clear their grooves and then let the glove compartment down.

2- look for the flat tap with a screw in it around 9 o clock in pict #1
The air filter compartment door goes front to back, and the screw you're looking for is right behind the flap in the felt divider at the rear of the glove compartment, which you don't need to remove or anything- just lift it up. BTW, it's a T20 Torx screw, not a Phillips.

3- unscrew the silver screw, pull on the tab and the hinged door will open up and you will see the filter.
You can reach the Torx screw from up underneath the glove compartment, not going in through the front. I found that resting my left elbow on the floorboard and reaching up with a torx screwdriver worked best, while holding the felt flap open with my right hand so I could see what I was doing. If you can, leave the air filter door on its hinge, because it's a PITA trying to fit its tabs back into the slots in the air filter housing after you put in the new filter. The door may fall off anyway, but it's not too big a deal.

4- pull the filter out and replace it noting air direction arrow.
You will pull the filter out from left to right and downwards. It will have to bend some. Just pull it all the way out and remove it from up underneath the compartment, not through the front. Do note the airflow direction, which is from top to bottom and should be indicated along the sidewall of the filter.

5- reverse the above procedure.
a. Put the door back on and screw the torx screw back in
b. Put the felt divider back into place, because you will inevitably have to pull and push it around some to access stuff during this procedure.
c. Lift the glove compartment door back up, push in on the sides to get it back into the grooves, and then reattach the tensioner arm. Make sure to snap it back down into place firmly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts