Mustang Evolution Forum banner

21 - 40 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
It's funny to read peoples responses as this always happens when a new model comes out. But when it comes down to it most people who don't care about track numbers will likely prefer the IRS and all the added features even if it adds 150 lbs to the car. And Ford knows racing guys will mod the car to meet racing needs while people who want a nice DD wont, they will just go elsewhere.

As soon as Ford said that the 15's would have an IRS I knew there would be a group of people who would prefer the 11-14's with the solid rear axle simple for racing purposes. Its hard to say but I doubt the IRS will be able to support 500-600 HP consistently at the track. I mean look at 99% of the 03/04 cobras and they have had the IRS replaced due to them breaking.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
The 99-04 IRS breaks because of wheel hop which is induced by crap rubber bushings Ford made the engineers put in for NVH reasons. A good bushing kit can almost totally alleviate wheelhop. Now... is the 99-04 IRS optimal? No it isn't but with the right mods it is pretty damn good. Would I run one in a drag car? Hell no. Would I run one in a road racer over a watt's link SRA setup? You bet your ass. Its all in personal preference for the street.

As for the 2015... honestly its not so much the IRS, at least to me. Its the weight and the weight is one of the problems with the S197. The Fox4 chassis has a ridonkulously huge aftermarket and with a Coyote swap relatively common these days it isn't like one can't stuff a Coyote into a fox or SN95 without too much trouble to wind up with a 3000-3300lb car that is setup amazingly with all new aftermarket parts and get all the benefits of the Coyote platform. The only problem here is that you will likely have $15-$20k into a car worth $6k but since when has that ever stopped anyone?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
FRPP tune anyone... adds 60 lb - ft of torque at 1500 RPM'S

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Livernois dyno'd the FORD RACING PERFORMANCE CALIBRATION WITH HIGH FLOW K&N AIR FILTER.

It made a 40rwtq difference at 1500 rpm. The car had the FRPP tune, KN filter, Corsa X-Pipe and X-treme Axleback.

Look at this thread - Ford Racing 2011 Mustang GT Performance Cal/Filter Dyno Results

The coyote 5.0 is just weak at low rpm, NA. No getting around it. Unless they add displacement or switch out the cams.

An LS3 with the same mods (filter and tune) puts down around 20 more rwhp and 50 more rwtq at 1500 rpm.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The IRS doesn't interest me because all racing unless motorcross is in a straight line which SRA is better for. I'll take the crazy amount of money i saved on my '14 and now i can keep eating my cheesesteaks

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Livernois dyno'd the FORD RACING PERFORMANCE CALIBRATION WITH HIGH FLOW K&N AIR FILTER.

It made a 40rwtq difference at 1500 rpm. The car had the FRPP tune, KN filter, Corsa X-Pipe and X-treme Axleback.

Look at this thread - Ford Racing 2011 Mustang GT Performance Cal/Filter Dyno Results

The coyote 5.0 is just weak at low rpm, NA. No getting around it. Unless they add displacement or switch out the cams.

An LS3 with the same mods (filter and tune) puts down around 20 more rwhp and 50 more rwtq at 1500 rpm.
And then you get into the 4 cams vs 1 as far as cost effectiveness. Still, a cammed Coyote with a Boss intake is pretty damn stout for NA. I've been looking into them more and more and what a Coyote swap into my 98 would entail vs paying the $22-$28k it looks like a really clean low mileage 2011-up car is going for. Would probably be cheaper to do a LS1 lol.

The IRS doesn't interest me because all racing unless motorcross is in a straight line which SRA is better for. I'll take the crazy amount of money i saved on my '14 and now i can keep eating my cheesesteaks
You had better be a Tony Luke's guy.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
And then you get into the 4 cams vs 1 as far as cost effectiveness. Still, a cammed Coyote with a Boss intake is pretty damn stout for NA. I've been looking into them more and more and what a Coyote swap into my 98 would entail vs paying the $22-$28k it looks like a really clean low mileage 2011-up car is going for. Would probably be cheaper to do a LS1 lol.
I'm not questioning the power output of the coyote, it's a damn good engine. It just doesn't make much power below 3,000 RPM, especially with the Boss intake. Whereas the LS/LT engines make power at nearly every rpm.

As for your car, LS swap that bish already...
Find an LS2 or LQ4/9, get 243 heads (if needed) and port them, get a 228R or Torquer V2 cam, upgrade the valve springs, maf and tune and you will have 400+ rwhp, 380+ rwtq and with a t56 and 3.55 gears, 26+ mpg. Probably have maybe $4,000 - $5,000 wrapped up in the whole thing, it could be much less.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts

Look at drag strip times for stock vs FRPP tuned coyotes, fairly good improvement for a canned tune, and warranty is fully kept with the FRPP tune.

Also, Dyno it without the KN filter, those things suck, and have been proven to LOSE horsepower, and torque.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Value may stay up on the 2011-2014s if so many people dislike the 2015, don't already have a Mustang, and want to get one. They will be fighting over the 2011-2014s.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
I'm not questioning the power output of the coyote, it's a damn good engine. It just doesn't make much power below 3,000 RPM, especially with the Boss intake. Whereas the LS/LT engines make power at nearly every rpm.

As for your car, LS swap that bish already...
Find an LS2 or LQ4/9, get 243 heads (if needed) and port them, get a 228R or Torquer V2 cam, upgrade the valve springs, maf and tune and you will have 400+ rwhp, 380+ rwtq and with a t56 and 3.55 gears, 26+ mpg. Probably have maybe $4,000 - $5,000 wrapped up in the whole thing, it could be much less.
You make far too much sense. And $5k into the WHOLE thing including K member/swap headers/engine/trans/ecu/fuel/errthang??? I knew it was cheap but not THAT cheap. Is that including the $1k or so I'd get for my PI motor and brand new 3650 by selling them?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Putting an ls motor in a mustang is damn near sacrilegious lol. Its like cheating on your wife with another woman.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Putting an ls motor in a mustang is damn near sacrilegious lol. Its like cheating on your wife with another woman.
If she's hotter...

:angel:

I kid, I kid. However, back in the day "hot rodding" was about doing whatever worked to get the most power for the least money. The LSx swap IS "hot rodding". Honestly the Coyote is damn near as foreign to a non-Coyote Mustang as a LSx is. Its amazing how far out of the way Ford went to modify a lot of stuff JUST enough so that modular parts would not work on it/vice versa. Yeah you have the rods and there are adapters for the Boss intake but that's about it...

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
You make far too much sense. And $5k into the WHOLE thing including K member/swap headers/engine/trans/ecu/fuel/errthang??? I knew it was cheap but not THAT cheap. Is that including the $1k or so I'd get for my PI motor and brand new 3650 by selling them?
Nope.

Around here you can find a low mileage (30,000 or less), complete LQ4/9 6.0L with 4l60/80 pullout with harness from a GM truck for around $800 - $1200. That is basically an iron block LS2. Then you would need to swap the accessories, oil pan and intake, unless you actually pick up an LS engine. Then either adapter plates for your stock K member (since you have a 4.6) or an LS based K member if you want to spend more money, headers, wiring, maybe a custom drive shaft, a tune and it's drivable, probably will need gauges and instrument cluster too.

Might need to swap out the radiator too, not sure on that.

I think if you go manual trans, you will need a clutch master cylinder. Not sure on this either.

You can usually find slightly used cams for around $200. Then buy your new valve springs for $300 -$400.

Another thing to consider, an LS will be lighter (between 85 -110 lbs) than the 4.6 and lq engines. So suspension would be needed in the front. Or go iron block and keep it stock.

It all depends on what you can find the parts for. The guy I bought my Z28 from, LS swapped his fox for around $4000 in parts. He went with an LQ4 and T56, an MS4 cam (or similar size), ported heads and sprayed the piss out of it (250 shot i think). I don't think he had to run a custom or swap header.

It's certainly not a single weekend project, but it could likely be done in a few days.

Or just sell the Mustang, use the money for the swap and get that Trans Am already.

·
ME Bloodhound
14,697 Posts
I'd just like to point out that pushrods are great at low end power, but modulars are great at high revving. Since 4 small valves out flow 2 big ones at high rpms.

Look at most Big Block engines getting great low end but going to 5k rpm, then there is Rapinator redlining his 5.0 at 8100.

Different strokes for different folks.

But yea if the new Coyote gains weight and only the claimed 20 horsepower I'll be glad I'm sticking with my New Edge and modding that.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Nope.

Around here you can find a low mileage (30,000 or less), complete LQ4/9 6.0L with 4l60/80 pullout with harness from a GM truck for around $800 - $1200. That is basically an iron block LS2. Then you would need to swap the accessories, oil pan and intake, unless you actually pick up an LS engine. Then either adapter plates for your stock K member (since you have a 4.6) or an LS based K member if you want to spend more money, headers, wiring, maybe a custom drive shaft, a tune and it's drivable, probably will need gauges and instrument cluster too.

Might need to swap out the radiator too, not sure on that.

I think if you go manual trans, you will need a clutch master cylinder. Not sure on this either.

You can usually find slightly used cams for around $200. Then buy your new valve springs for $300 -$400.

Another thing to consider, an LS will be lighter (between 85 -110 lbs) than the 4.6 and lq engines. So suspension would be needed in the front. Or go iron block and keep it stock.

It all depends on what you can find the parts for. The guy I bought my Z28 from, LS swapped his fox for around $4000 in parts. He went with an LQ4 and T56, an MS4 cam (or similar size), ported heads and sprayed the piss out of it (250 shot i think). I don't think he had to run a custom or swap header.

It's certainly not a single weekend project, but it could likely be done in a few days.

Or just sell the Mustang, use the money for the swap and get that Trans Am already.
Been doing some research on the swap this morning and while it looks like it would be relatively simple as far as swaps go, this would probably be the best option. Or just get a 2011/2012 Coyote A6 in a few years and call it good.

Apparently the biggest issue with the Mustang swap is nothing to do with getting the engine/trans and everything else mounted up properly, its the goddamn wiring/hvac and emissions if you live in a state like I do.

I guess I would use a PSI harness coupled to a GM computer to control the engine, not sure about hvac, run a Florida 5.0 cluster with aftermarket gauges for that, flaming river manual steering, MM manual brakes, would def want to figure out the AC and then there is the OBDII. From what I've researched on NJ emissions, they scan the door sticker and bump it against the VIN. This means I'd have to use a EFI Live setup to change the VIN in the GM ECU to the Ford VIN and then turn off all the Diagnostic Trouble Codes if any show up which apparently is not hard to do.

But again, I could likely sell my 98 and be 1/2 or 3/4 of the way to a real nice F body or put it towards paying off the rest of my debt (still about 2-3 years away minus the mortgage) and then celebrate with a low mileage Coyote.

Edit: With that said, my 98 is stupid clean, no rust and paid off and $20/mo to insure. And would be very easy to get down to 3000-3100lbs with a LS2 swap...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wait, the mighty Coyote 5.0 doesn't make much power until 3000 RPM? The whole reason I would even consider it is if I could lug around and not have to downshift like on the V6. The thing that disappointed me with my 03 GT is it didn't feel like a grunty V8, I had to rev that thing just like on my 350Z. The whole point of getting a V8 is not having to shift as much and having the option of more than one gear at any given time. I hope the new Mustang does well but as an Import type of guy the Turbo 4 is the only one that interests me in the least but not if it's heavier than my 2014 V6.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Wait, the mighty Coyote 5.0 doesn't make much power until 3000 RPM? The whole reason I would even consider it is if I could lug around and not have to downshift like on the V6. The thing that disappointed me with my 03 GT is it didn't feel like a grunty V8, I had to rev that thing just like on my 350Z. The whole point of getting a V8 is not having to shift as much and having the option of more than one gear at any given time. I hope the new Mustang does well but as an Import type of guy the Turbo 4 is the only one that interests me in the least but not if it's heavier than my 2014 V6.

Lol no the point of a v8 is not so you can shift less lmao. I'm sure when they say it's weak in the low rpms they are comparing it to how it is in high rpms. It's probably relatively fast in low rpms, just not comparable to when it revved up.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The coyote 5.0 simply requires RPM to make power. Whereas the Hemi's and LS3 do not.

If you look at a dyno graph, the coyote engine is very soft before 3,000 rpm, after that it does alright. The competition simply makes a good bit more power from idle to 3,000 rpm.

K&N's website has dyno graphs for nearly every car. Look through these to see for yourself.

2011+ Mustang 5.0 - http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/63-2578_dyno.pdf

LS3 Corvette (don't have an LS3 Camaro) - http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/63-3073_dyno.pdf

2010 L99 Camaro (automatic) - http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/63-3074_dyno.pdf

2011 Challenger SRT8 6.4L - http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/69-2545_dyno.pdf

So looking through those, at 2000 rpm, the Mustang is only putting down 80 rwhp and 230 rwtq, the Challenger SRT8 6.4 is putting down around 120 rwhp and 330 rwtq, the LS3 is putting down around 110 rwhp and 280 rwtq, the L99 Camaro looks to put down around 110 rwhp and 300 rwtq.

Those are fairly large differences where the majority of people do their driving. Also, adding more weight to this car will further emphasize it's lack of low end power compared with the competition.

The 5.0 still has enough torque to lug at lower rpm, it's just not anything close to the competition.
If you want to shift less, buy an automatic.

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
What I wanna know is, where the hell are those ass clowns that used to be all over the 2015 rumors threads stating it as FACT that they had knowledge and confirmation that the '15 was going to be smaller and lighter than the prior year model? Where the flip are those guys?!? They have some esssplaing to doo!!!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
We all know this is a guess from Steeda, who have not weighed anything- they were "looking at it" and THOUGHT this. They have since made some changes to their statement.

In a Ford One article FORD stated it lost weight. No offense to Steeda, but them looking at it vs Fords statement; I'll go with Ford. They haven't really been screwing things up lately, I doubt they did here.

Sent from my XT1049 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

21 - 40 of 168 Posts