Mustang Evolution Forum banner

41 - 60 of 168 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
IIRC, it was Ford who said one of the main goals was to shed weight. IMHO, if this thing is pushing the 3800-4k mark its a loser and I would seriously start looking at the Camaro and even the Challenger. Camaro already outhandles the Coyote, if it starts being able to put down the same or a better 1/4 time from the factory while costing the same... eh... Like I said Ford absolutely nailed it in 2011 but I think this 2015 model is taking a step back to the years where they are relying on looks and V6 (4 banger now) sales to beat the competition. Only positive is as bad as Ford's 2015 rearend design is, the current Camaro's is worse IMO.

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
well that's bull****. plenty of sources came out and said it was going to be a weight drop. time for the Camaros to start dominating again. long live the mustang again.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
I can't believe so many people are caught up in some idiots guessing compared to Ford making a declaration.

Sent from my XT1049 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
No, it was FORD that originally stated the Mustang would be lighter. So yes that might lead ppl to get caught up in it a bit...

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I swear some of you guys are getting way to caught up on weight. If the car is an overall better car but weighs a little more who cares? It's not like a few mods can't make up for it. There are a lot of cars in the 4k range that are unbelievable performers and id rather have an overall good car then something that can go in a straight line a little faster. The Nissan GTR weighs nearly 4000 lbs but is considered a production super car. I'm sure if most of you had the opportunity to get a GTR you wouldn't turn it down just because it weighs a few hundred pounds more then a mustang.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Heck, the Camaro weighs more, but the 1LE destroys us on a track

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
I swear some of you guys are getting way to caught up on weight. If the car is an overall better car but weighs a little more who cares? It's not like a few mods can't make up for it. There are a lot of cars in the 4k range that are unbelievable performers and id rather have an overall good car then something that can go in a straight line a little faster. The Nissan GTR weighs nearly 4000 lbs but is considered a production super car. I'm sure if most of you had the opportunity to get a GTR you wouldn't turn it down just because it weighs a few hundred pounds more then a mustang.
When ppl with Coyotes are running 9s on stock longblocks every little bit of weight counts. Obviously not for your average driver. Say the 2015 weighs 300lbs more than the 2014 and the power is the same and the SRA vs the IRS for a straight line race. This is going to be a very big deal for those ppl.

Heck, the Camaro weighs more, but the 1LE destroys us on a track

Pretty sure the 2015 is Ford's version of the current Camaro as far as handling/suspension etc... IMHO they are kind of ceasing to be "pony cars" and becoming something else.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
No, it was FORD that originally stated the Mustang would be lighter. So yes that might lead ppl to get caught up in it a bit...
Exactly. Like I said, Ford declared it will be lighter. Some idiots made a guess. Who do you (figuratively) believe?

(I use the terms idiots because a small company who is blessed to have a 2015 should not be running their mouth out of guesses when they could just weigh it. Surely the person who spoke out no longer works there, or had their rear end handed to them.)

Sent from my XT1049 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
When ppl with Coyotes are running 9s on stock longblocks every little bit of weight counts. Obviously not for your average driver. Say the 2015 weighs 300lbs more than the 2014 and the power is the same and the SRA vs the IRS for a straight line race. This is going to be a very big deal for those ppl.

Pretty sure the 2015 is Ford's version of the current Camaro as far as handling/suspension etc... IMHO they are kind of ceasing to be "pony cars" and becoming something else.
Yeah, they are becoming entry level sports cars.

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
weight is big deal. maybe not for people ( assuming you ) that just daily your cars, drive them no where near there need. 300-400 lbs is a big deal a lot a lot .

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Well the turbo 4 and V6 maybe but I think with the 5.0, Ford is trying to go in the direction GM went with the Camaro and the Z28 etc... I mean ppl laugh about the Z28 being $75k and "just buy a Vette" but then the same guys will go drop $60k+ on a Shelby when they could just "buy a Vette".

I love the 2011-2014 because it is, IMO, what a pony car should be. Badass motor in front of a good trans and a simple but good solid axle rear/suspension setup. Yeah its loaded with tech and all but its still pretty simple all things considered. Even ppl getting all crazy about how good the new 6 speed automatic is... its actually a pretty barebones auto compared to some of the real high end stuff out in BMWs or whatever but its perfect for what it needs to do.

However, this is all one random person on the interwebs' opinion. Maybe the S550 will be a world beating track car, I hope it is but the Camaros already are and Ford is playing catch up in regards to the circle tracks.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
put it this way. mustang is going to fall victim to the new Camaro again, history repeats itself,
Exactly. and it's not good for Ford. Now if Ford had a Corvette competitor (handling wise, I know the GT500 beats it in a straight line) then we would have good competition

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
a 14gt500 will not even beat the vette a straight line. stock for stock. 14 gt500 vs 14 stingray. the vette will win
14 Vette does a 1/4 in a claimed 3.8 stock, GT500 does it in 3.5 stock. It's close, but the 500 can barely beat it stock, in a straight line.

Cornering, um, yeah, let's not go there, the Stingray trunces the 500 badly.

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

the new stingrays are fast, especially with a tune/ exhaust. I need the bottle
Imagine the new Camaro when it gets the LT1 in 2016...

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Real world, the vette usually will. It's a close race. I wish I had saved my money for the stingray...

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Right.. But don't those engines produce more at peak power also? I mean the sS puts out more than the GT. But it lose in a straight line. Coyotes are as piggish

41 - 60 of 168 Posts