Mustang Evolution Forum banner

61 - 80 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
HP #'s does not mean anything. there are also not piggish, just have to know how to set up your car. not just throwing parts at it and a crappy tune. I have 4.10's and she is brutal from a dig. its all about setup not power

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Base stingray is 53k base MSRP and they are in high demand so dealers have been spiking prices up past MSRP
Yeah, I know. The base with Z51 is going for about 64K here

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you want to shift less, buy an automatic.[/QUOTE]

I did, and if you have more torque you don't need to induce a downshift to pick up speed. The benefits of more power in the lower rev range is you can just give a little more throttle but don't have to give it enough to downshift. The whole point of a big gas guzzling motor is not having to rev it up like a smaller motor. Many people buy 1000cc sportbikes simply because they don't have to downshift as much and they don't have to hit 10,000rpm to accelerate hard, making the bike easier to ride. This was always the appeal of the V8, power now.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
HP #'s does not mean anything. there are also not piggish, just have to know how to set up your car. not just throwing parts at it and a crappy tune. I have 4.10's and she is brutal from a dig. its all about setup not power

This pretty much sums it up. You can point to one off factors such as hp, weight, etc but you have to look at the overall package. Not sure if anyone saw a few years ago motor trend did a 1/4 mile race against a 2011 gt500 (3800 lbs, 550 hp), 2011 zo6 (3250 lbs, 505 hp), and a 2012 GTR (3900 lbs, 530 hp). The GTR won with a time of 11.2 @ 122.7 mph, vette second at 11.8 @ 123.4, and the gt500 last at 12.4 @ 115.8 mph.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I'll take a second faster in a straight line over a second faster on a track with turns. They can keep their IRS and I'll take the lighter mustang with SRA. I don't have any tracks around by me so all the fun is in straight line racing.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The fact is that if Ford were proud of their weight reduction's on the Mustang they'd be talking about it. However, instead they've been on radio silence for the last year with anything that has to do with weight.

The only thing I've seen in the last year that's discussed the weight of the Mustang at all was a small snippet in an Automotive Engineering International article where a senior Ford engineer (I can't remember the name, sorry) was quoted saying that they used many new components would be made from aluminum to counteract the weight gain due to the IRS.
Hmmm.... sounds like more weight to me.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I see your point, but I think it's all about keeping the hype going. If they release all the data immediately, then people will lose excitement. Ford has been very open that they are going to slowly leak information and continue a variety of advertising up until release. You might be right, but I think they are just withholding information because they can. We shall see in the coming months!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Just quit Supersizing You Mickey D's and a couple of months you won't notice a thing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I was hoping for less weight because for those that do track their cars, weight not only penalizes performance, but costs you more in consumables like brake pads and tires. The 1LE is a great track car, but not cheap to operate due to its heft.

I was never expecting Corvette weight, but if its substantially over the weight of the current mustang I'll be very disappointed.

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
I read something yesterday that the new GT fastback weighed in at 3,704lbs.
I'll try to find the link and post it.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
So Ford made the Mustang lighter, then added an IRS. Makes sense. I still wish they would drop the weigh considerably- but the mostly aluminum probably won't come around until the next refresh.

Sent from my XT1049 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
771 Posts
It being NA, Still going to be faster than a supercharged 3v

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Highly unlikely 3700+ pounds roughly 440 hp hmmm... My 3v V8 makes
540 HP intercooled running 10psi with my V3 Vortech and weighs 3550 with 20" rims and a centri which by the way are super light , you do the math.
Unless the S555 has a blower it will be no contest they are heavy pigs.
It's all about power to weight ratio you should know that.

61 - 80 of 168 Posts