Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new Mustang V6 ,Manual trans, 051a package,about 400 miles. Love the car but it has a vibration between 60 and 70. Not real bad but not right,it feels like a driveshaft vibration( I am a auto tech,30 years),Just wanted to open up a new thread to see if any other people have had issues.I will update when I get a idea on what it could be. Not driving to much yet due to weather in upstate NY. Thanks,Bill

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is not related to RPM it is 60-70 MPH doesnt matter what gear..Only has 300 miles so it is still under gaurantee so I wont be replacing the driveshaft.Thanks,Bill

K

·
0 Posts
Usually its not a case of bad parts. Its more of a limitation of the stock driveshaft. Assuming this is the culprit, the dealer replacing it with another 2 piece stock driveshaft will not help.

When I had my new 2011 v6 it did the same thing. It wasn't because something was broken or bad, its just how these are built.

Now your issue may be something totally different. So take it in and have it checked. However, if you get the "couldn't find any issues" speech, then this will be up to you to decide if this minor annoyance can be worked around or if it's something you want to throw money at.

On a side note, there are many upsides to a 1 piece aluminum driveshaft.

Also, i noticed we are talking about a 2015. Not to be the forum cop, but isn't there another area to post 2015 items?

K

·
0 Posts
^^ this can definitely be a possibility. Also check tire inflation.

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
sounds like classic tire balance. I would swap wheels around to see if the vibration changes feel. If you've swapped out rims with non OEM's did you remove the disc retaining clips....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies,especially kevin.cook.How many times did you bring your car back to the dealer and what did they try to remedy your vibration. And did you end up putting in a 1 piece drive shaft and did it fix your vibration. Hard to believe the engineers cant fix a problem like this.Thanks,Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem

I have only had my 2015 v6 manual with 3.55 rear end for a week and I have this same vibration at the same speed. I thought it was an unbalanced tire also but the dealer checked them and they were fine. My dealer agrees this is not good and thinks it is the drive shaft. I'm now waiting for the part and will be without my new car for a week as the part is backordered out of the states! I'm not happy and not even sure this will fix the problem. I hope Ford didn't cheap out on the V6 this year. I do like the power the car has and the transmission is a joy to use unlike my old 03 Ranger's stick. I will get to the bottom of this problem and post the solution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
problem solved for now

Just got the car back after 9 days and the vibration is gone. The new driveshaft was worse than the original according to the tech but after 45 minutes balancing it on the car they got it right. I ran it up to 80 mph and all is good. Funny that two driveshafts were bad, Ford might have a supplier problem here. Dealer told me they will let me know if there is a recall on this. I will post again if I have another issue or if it does get recalled.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got the car back after 9 days and the vibration is gone. The new driveshaft was worse than the original according to the tech but after 45 minutes balancing it on the car they got it right. I ran it up to 80 mph and all is good. Funny that two driveshafts were bad, Ford might have a supplier problem here. Dealer told me they will let me know if there is a recall on this. I will post again if I have another issue or if it does get recalled.
I've also had my driveshaft replaced with the vibration still there. Dealership didn't offer to try to balance it. I didn't even know this was available to them. What's involved?

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
I've also had my driveshaft replaced with the vibration still there. Dealership didn't offer to try to balance it. I didn't even know this was available to them. What's involved?
balancing ds's depends on dealer and if they have the right tools.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just wanted to update , my drive shaft was replaced and 1 tie and 1 wheel. No difference, as I said I am a Auto Tech and had it up on my lift and noticed when they replaced the drive shaft they didn't line up the paint match marks on the rear of the drive shaft and the pinion flange.I reinstalled it with the marks lined up and it is either cured or 90% better,still not sure.I am very picky.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm having the same problem in my '15 convertible V6 automatic. So far, the dealer has tried swapping wheels/tires, and based on what I'm reading here I'll give the SM a call today to suggest the driveshaft. Since he's already working with Ford on this, I'm not sure how much weight my suggestion will carry, but it can't hurt to try.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got it back about a week ago. It appears that Ford is coming out with a new part number for driveshafts. It appears they do have a bad supplier, or possibly a bad design. Dealer says "give it a couple months and we should have one for you".

·
Registered
3 Posts
they clamped weights on the shaft it self and adjusted them until it was good. Had a man in the car running it up to speed in the air testing after each adjustment. Took 45 minutes but got it within 90% of perfect. I think I can feel a little vib at 50 mph.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey fellas -

New user - but not new to Mustangs, Fords or auto forums. I came across this thread via online Google searching and wanted to add some beneficial info to it regarding driveshaft, drivetrain or driveline vibes or vibrations on the 2015 and 2016 Mustang.

I just wanted to pass along a huge thread that discusses the 2015/16 driveline vibration.

I have a 2016 EB Premium with Perf Pack and I've been having one hell of a time getting the driveline vibe corrected by my Ford Service Center.

I've documented my entire process so far - and others have posted up pics and vids as well from their same issues.

It's ridiculous that Ford does not have a TSB on this, because it's been persistent in not only the 2015 models, but exists in the 2016 models and MY17 will be in production very soon.

I emplore anyone with a driveline vibration to read through the thread to see what actions are being taken by Owners and Ford Service Centers.

Link to thread:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15990

Thank you,
Phil

1 - 20 of 22 Posts