Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's mustang, has a plastic burning smell coming from the passenger side, use to have valve covers leaking, but fixed that, got new exhaust, from the cats and back, and thought it was just the new exhaust burning off, but its been about a month since new exhaust and still have the same problem, what could it be?? I don't see an oil leak anymore and it's been cleaned off of all oil, and no wiring or wiring insulation touching anything, I'm confused on it.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
3,028 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining MustangEvolution!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
I encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
Do you need help posting? Please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you’ve chosen to join our community.

Get under the car, and find the plastic bag that’s melting on your exhaust pipe. They usually come off rather easily after cooking a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome and thank you for joining MustangEvolution!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
I encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
Do you need help posting? Please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you’ve chosen to join our community.

Get under the car, and find the plastic bag that’s melting on your exhaust pipe. They usually come off rather easily after cooking a while.
I got under there and there was no bag, or any trash at all
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
3,028 Posts
I’ve had this happen to me twice, and it was a shopping bag both times. I was hoping for the same on yours. It was particularly difficult to locate the one on my wife’s Mustang. It had meted down to a hard plastic glob on top of the pipes, and not noticeable by quick inspection. It was between the floorboard and the pipe. After a week’s worth of looking, I found the glob, and chipped it off. It popped off easily and totally eliminated the problem. I think it was wrapped around the pipe, and tore away from the bottom when hot. Then left only the portion on top of the pipe to continue burning and stinking.

I’m pretty sure it’s related to the new exhaust install. If you can put it on a lift, and get a second set of eyes, perhaps you’ll find the culprit.

I have no other suggestions at the moment. Maybe someone else will chime in with a fresh idea or two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
I've had the same problem too. You might not be able to see where the bag melted. It's quite possible it's not visible. I gave up and committed to the smell for about two months then it finally went away. Hopefully the weathers nice where you live. Rock the windows down for a few weeks and hopefully the smell goes away.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top