Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,887 Posts
Inb4 people who have never been to a track cry about no stick shift option for a car setup specifically to drag race.

:)

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Inb4 people who have never been to a track cry about no stick shift option for a car setup specifically to drag race.

That kind of HP (around 730!!?) will be hard enough to control in a straight line with an automatic....I can’t imagine how hard it would be on a race track with a manual transmission!:eek:
At least the supercharger will have a bit more gradual torque curve/hit than if this thing was dual turbos...

·
Lorraine's driver
8,188 Posts
You know, I didn't think I'd like it better than the GT350, but I think I do lol. I don't mind that it's not a manual. I see that Ford still plans to have a GT350 in the lineup, so you can always go that route if you really want a manual Mustang. The GT500 looks way better on the move...

https://youtu.be/wecVzPzf8R4

Of course, you had to know it would sound great too lol.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Beautiful :). My guess on the weight is almost 4,400 pounds :(.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Some people prefer a manual trans, I do.
............Porsche reintroduced a manual trans in 2018, on their 911 GT3, seems their customer base does also..

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
Solidifies my favorite S550 is the Bullitt... with some GT350 parts added to it, of course.
I like the body besides the GT500 stamped in front bumper, and it has no GT500 rocker stripe. Other than those two I like the car body-wise. The DCT is a interesting touch for the car. Though no manual option bothers me, but I didn’t make the car and I’m certainly not going to buy one. Unless they provide a beefed up TR6060 or use the TR6070 from the ZR1 or a variant of it. Looking forward to the figures once they release those numbers.

Pick your poison.

·
Super Moderator
17,887 Posts
They'd have to really beef up the manual trans if they were to put one in there. Not to mention it would slow the car down substantially. Drag racing 101=get a good auto.

But if enough ppl want it and Ford sees more sales adding a stick shift I'm sure it'll happen.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,188 Posts
I just don't understand why people get so hung up on whether a car has a manual tranny or not. I enjoy my 5 speed in my Mach, but I would enjoy the car just as much if it was an auto TBH. I agree though, if the people want it, Ford will stick it in there.

·
Super Moderator
17,887 Posts
Very big deal that the 07-14 GT500 did NOT have an auto. That car was designed for one thing and that is drag racing... except for the stick shift.

PPl will buy what they want, having options is a good thing... to a point. At these power levels the stick is a liability just from a reliability/warranty standpoint let alone performance. At the levels and weight this new GT500 should be at, all other things being equal the auto will run damn near a second faster down the 1/4 than a stick would.

If enough ppl clamor for the stick in the GT500 who knows... the Hellcat has one. And its slower... and that's an older 8 speed trans. With the 10 speed Ubertrans the difference is going to be more.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have no problem with Ford putting their most modern and fastest transmission in the GT 500...but a ROTARY knob? That just seems as wimpish as Ferrari’s tiny, little, miniature thing sticking out of the transmission hump. The shifter on my ‘ol A6 gets grabbed and I like that better than a rotary shifter (which we have in my wife’s Fusion), but a Fusion is an entirely different deal than a 700 (+) hp monster — give me something to GRAB!!:lol:

·
Registered
778 Posts
The lead engineer on the 2020 GT500 said in " one " of those videos, a 6 speed " may " be offered in the future..

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have no problem with Ford putting their most modern and fastest transmission in the GT 500...but a ROTARY knob? That just seems as wimpish as Ferrari’s tiny, little, miniature thing sticking out of the transmission hump. The shifter on my ‘ol A6 gets grabbed and I like that better than a rotary shifter (which we have in my wife’s Fusion), but a Fusion is an entirely different deal than a 700 (+) hp monster — give me something to GRAB!!:lol:
Ditto! I can understand not having a huge shifter lever but that knob is killing the vibe! I think they nailed the exterior. I wasn’t a fan of the giant black hole in the grill but seeing the bumper there even though it’s black is alright! Rear end, side profile, all of it is nice! I’m having a hard time figuring how this motor and SC at 12psi is only putting out low 700 #’s? Probably a much better curve but a coyote throws out 700 plus with a tvs and accessories. All the hype, all the time and they supercharged a GT350, which makes sense, 3+ yrs ago. Yeah, it’s not a flat plane crank it’s cross plane blah blah. I’m still a big fan of the car and not hating on it, but still makes me go huh???

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don’t think that Ford has said “low” 700’s.....what they’ve said has been “over” 700. I think that Ford is sandbagging us a bit here and the big reveal on HP will be “way” over 700. They want us to be surprised, and I hope we will be.....

·
Registered
900 Posts
You’re correct Gaurd, I heard “someone” say low 700, it wasn’t anything definitive but at 12psi on a 2.6TVS (that was from a YouTube reveal Fords head engineer) should be high 700’s.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You’re correct Gaurd, I heard “someone” say low 700, it wasn’t anything definitive but at 12psi on a 2.6TVS (that was from a YouTube reveal Fords head engineer) should be high 700’s.
I’d rather Ford say “over 700” than “nearly 800.”......it will indeed be interesting what the final figure ends up being. Like you, I am guessing closer to 800 than 700....almost has to be with the HP figures of the other two top of the line pony cars....

·
Super Moderator
17,887 Posts
It's going to have to be over the Hellcat, I doubt Ford would allow it to be less.

Guarantee the aftermarket will be able to crank it up to mid 800s or higher with just a tune, pulley and exhaust. Or just tune tbth...

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
ya I'm NOT Diggin' that shift knob, WTH ? Ruins the look IMO , at least put a traditional shifter in there , other wise the car is awesome ,and I'll never ne able to afford one ,but I can dream

1 - 20 of 27 Posts