Mustang Evolution Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Lorraine's driver
8,188 Posts
Mach I.....here’s some people after your own heart.....but really? Only two or three truck lengths, a supercharger and likely over $120,000 to beat a STOCK 3.5 V6?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/ford-raptor-shootout-pits-stock-v6-vs-aftermarket-v8-transplant/
Lol, although I'm more of an OEM kinda buyer. But yeah, I get it. I remember seeing a video with a new gen Raptor VS the V8 Raptor and it was hard to watch after about 5 or 10ft off the line. Faster was more important to me when I was in my 20's and early 30's. After that, my tastes began to get more specific.

My 04 Mach, for instance.. I hated these 4.6L engines when they first came out. I didn't warm up to them until around the 03-04 models. I thought the Cobra was a huge step that Ford did that was just something they never seemed to do before lol. Seeing my Mach in the show room when I was shopping for SUV's at the time was really almost an accident that I bought it. I didn't know that much about the 03-04 Mach 1's. I just remembered that Ford brought it back. That was the first time I had driven an SN95/newedge and couldn't believe how much nicer they drove than the foxbody's lol, so I was hooked. I think ~350whp would be a great spot for me in this car. With some suspension parts and some minor brake upgrades, that would be some great fun. The bad for me is I don't care for supercharger whine or turbo noise (and affects on exhaust). You price out some custom cams, porting, and some headers to get you around that power and your much better off just slapping a supercharger on it and putting a very modest tune to keep the boost down because the cost is so outrageous to get what sound I want. So each year I end up talking myself out of doing anything I'm not really into doing. I just dig the old school musclecar sound.

I got kinda excited when I saw that article about the 7.3L being pushrod lol. If I didn't hate the way the Chevy's look, I would probably have been interested in the new Camaro's lol. I thought they stopped looking good when the 93 body style came out. I've been watching what I spend on this in hopes that I may pull the trigger on an old classic musclecar driver. Nobody probably will read this long winded way of saying I'm just not into modern musclcars like I was with the original ones. Not having that raw feel probably makes a difference when I look back at the ones I've test drove over the past 5 years.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Lol, that's pretty much me in a nutshell. Sorry to say it, but I hate the 4 and 6 turbo crap out there. I know they're more efficeint, more powerful, probably more mod-able...but I just don't like it. I completely do-not-care that they are better, LOL. I hate the sound and would NEVER pay the money they are wanting for these vehicles with them these days unless I was completely happy with what I was buying. For example, I liked the last Lincoln MKX (or Z whatever). I thought Ooo, a new luxury car with a V8, but no... it's a turbo 6. Sure 400hp is nice, but it's just not what I want lol. I think the new engine technology is great and all, but it's just not what I want. I'll be honest, I'd rather go with all electric if I'm wanting to go with new technology. I'm sure there is more that feel like I do about this, but not enough to change the market.
Think that stock to stock, that “little” V6 can’t hold it’s own? Just watch this 3.5 EcoBoost DESTROY this Ferrari:

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/ferrari-488-drag-races-ford-gt-victory-is-crushing-132315.html

I rest my case, although that Ford GT DOES sound like one giant fart up against the rev limiter.
I’ll state right now....I could never afford to buy a new GT now that I am retired, but if Ford puts the Raptor engine in the Mustang, I will move heaven and earth to try to own one. I absolutely fail to fathom why this has not happened yet, when the 3.5 TT had been around since 2011. Nearly 80% of the half tons Ford sells right now are no longer V8’s and once you’ve either towed with or hammered a 3.5 TT F150, you WILL see why. It might take a few years to convince Mustang “but it’s not a V8!!!” Buyers, but consider the F150 buyers, including the Raptor, completely convinced:

https://www.newsday.com/classifieds/cars/raptor-sales-numbers-continue-to-climb-1.3922145

21 - 22 of 22 Posts