Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the diagnosis. It was the water pump leaking last night. It is now being replaced at the dealer...ready this afternoon. Has any one else had a pump go out this soon? Obviously, I'm a bit disappointed.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I just got the diagnosis. It was the water pump leaking last night. It is now being replaced at the dealer...ready this afternoon. Has any one else had a pump go out this soon? Obviously, I'm a bit disappointed.
Glad it wasn't something serious. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I have read several Threads about the water pumps going out on 2011+ Mustangs on this Forum and a few other Forums i'm a member of. Mine is still good at almost 4 years old and 20,000 miles :)

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
I've had my rear valve go on my rear end. Started leaking rear end fluid pretty bad. That and now my brakes and LCA bushings finally gave out. I'm a 2011 and at 87,000. I've put 60,000 on the car since 2012

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
57K on my 2011 V6, and no issues with the waterpump or anything else for that matter. I live in the Central Florida area.

Maybe it's the climate that's affecting the waterpump to fail early?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
57K on my 2011 V6, and no issues with the waterpump or anything else for that matter. I live in the Central Florida area.

Maybe it's the climate that's affecting the waterpump to fail early?

I live in Texas and our winter has been relatively cold. My 2011 V6 started only blowing out cold air when using the heater. Turns out that the water pump had sprung a leak around the shaft seal and dumped out a lot of the water leaving the heater core empty. No engine damage and the pump was replaced at 42K miles. Dealer told me not that unusual on the 3.7L.

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
Suprising. This would be the first two cases reporting a water pump failure; one at 20K, the other at 42K. Kind of spread out in the mileage. With an empty heater core, did the overflow container show below the "fill" line?

I'm going to keep an eye out on my cooling system a bit better now.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Suprising. This would be the first two cases reporting a water pump failure; one at 20K, the other at 42K. Kind of spread out in the mileage. With an empty heater core, did the overflow container show below the "fill" line?

Bucko - It is BY FAR not thefirst two cases. I did a search after mine failed. There have actually been numerous and early water pump failures on the 3.7. It is well documented in other sites on the internet...just something else for us all to look out for.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am just glad our water pump is not in the block like it was earlier in the duratecs?

Boy - what a nightmare! I have never seen one like that before. I wonder if my son's 3.0 Duratec is like that (Mazda 6)? That makes me want to get rid of it now.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Yea, they said if it leaks, they can get coolant in the pan if everything does not just happen perfectly to get the Water escape the planned weep hole path out a keyhole in the engine cover. (Chrysler had that issue of ruining a v6 engine from a bad water pump.)

The fact that the Cyclone is back on the outside, tells me someone finally said, "you know, that's not really a great idea putting a water pump inside the block over the oil pump and pan. "

Be that as it may, if you drop "3.7 V6 Ford Water pump failure" into google, you find lots of bad 3.7 water pumps going on, leaving puddles by the side of the car as the symptom. This picture came up on a GM Saturn forum that had this picture in a 2009 post.

Edit: at first it loo9ked like two water pumps, internal external " as both pump gaskets offered in this parts catalog, but only one pump is offered for sale. So it seems there are internal and external gaskets for this pump? What happens then when the inside gasket leaks? need better diagram.

http://www.butmanfordparts.com/?i=2&make=123&model=1272&year=2013&type=parts&act=new_subcategory_hp&section=8&catid=10011&subcatid=20151&fl_id=40

In looking at this pump both backside and front side I can see the need to use two gaskets on one pump, no inside leakage, whew...
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MTC0/CP6654/01398.oap?year=2012&make=Ford&model=Mustang&vi=1501231&ck=Search_01398_1501231_-1&pt=01398&ppt=C0141

But funny thing is none are in stock in my towns stores or online? I'll just chalk it up to the great water pump conspiracy ;)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Boy - what a nightmare! I have never seen one like that before. I wonder if my son's 3.0 Duratec is like that (Mazda 6)? That makes me want to get rid of it now.
My last car was a 2004 Mazda6 V6 3.0L, the water pump went around 30K and it's external, not part of the block.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts

Mine was one jug low on coolant. Excuse my ignorance on these engines but where is the water pump? I only know 350 and 454 Chevy.

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
Should not be difficult to change if it has to be done. Thanks for posting the information. This will be useful on the search (if it's done) for future reference.

Since my time on this site, I really have not read any other posts on the 3.7 water pump failure. I do check the "competition" sites from time to time, but also do not recall any posts on waterpump failure.

My eyes aren now open though.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I'm ready for when and if my waterpump goes bad. A few months ago i bought a tool made to make removing the assy belt very easy. Its a long handled bar with a couple different sized sockets (can be used on several other car makers, Honda, GM etc.). :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2013 Ford Mustang Convertible water pump just went out after getting home from a 700mile trip. Only good thing, it happen in my drive way just after I got home. The Car has 26K miles on it. Also, being replace under warranty is the throttle body, While driving on the interstate the car lost all power, remained on so I could use the Power steering, and brakes.. Force to pull over and restart then engine.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Bucko - It is BY FAR not thefirst two cases. I did a search after mine failed. There have actually been numerous and early water pump failures on the 3.7. It is well documented in other sites on the internet...just something else for us all to look out for.
+1.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I consider the Nissan V6 motors they put in their Altimas and Maximas to be horrid as far as timing complexity. Although that's the first water pump driven by a timing chain, having them driven by timing belts is not uncommon at all.

Ours is in a really good spot for replacement. However, I don't think a serpentine belt tool will help. If I'm not mistaken, our belts have no tensioner, they're a stretch fit. I've yet to mess with one, so I can't really comment.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts