Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i've got a 2000 232 and wanted to be different this winter when storing it and cut a targa top into it...The weather stripping i've got covered, but my question is....what type of suspension stiffeners will i need? are sub-frame connectors enough?...and what exactly is it that the convertibles have that i dont? :wtf:

·
Registered
231 Posts
With a non vert car turning it into a targa can be pretty dangerous.
Honestly I don't really know what all verts have that hardtops don't, but I think a targa top stang would look kick ass!

---goes and gets hacksaw and measuring tape---

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
What do we have that a coupe doesn't have? Well, it is almost more like what do you have that we don't. We don't have a hard top. We don't have stationary quarter windows, ours roll up and down. Our top is a frame with a canvas/vinyl cover, it has a motorized hydraulic pump that raises and lowers it. It then clamps to the top of the windshield frame. Does that sort of explain it a little?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Call me stupid, I have heard of a targa top, but exactly what is it?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I know the difference outerbody wise. What I don't know is with regards to chasis stiffeners.

A targa top is just like a T top with out the middle bar. It simply goes all the way across. Like the supra in the Fast & Furious.

Basically you would be tacking away any frame stiffness from the top of the car. And I would imagine a vert makes up for this heavily somehow and my guess is it would have to be more than simply subframe connectors.

But I am just trying to learn.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
The factory subframe connectors, which didn't even show up on our verts til about 99, are basically wothless flimsy bolton ones which aren't even much for the scrap metal pile. Any good aftermarket weld in connector is better, there may be other bracing other places. For one there is some in the front end which is comparable to the Steeda Gtrack brace, not sure if there is any more or not.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Hey, I've thought about doing that to my car as well. Be sure to post how you did it, cause I'll probably do it to mine some time in the near future.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
http://www.globalwest.net/mustang%2079-98.htm#Subframe%20connectors: consider part #929 or 929C full competition subframe units.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
some how i see this project ending by a how to weld back on metal that you cut off :) a targa top will look stupid on a mustang to begine with... i would just sell it and buy a convertable or get a big sun roof and call it a day....

its not safe to do it you will need to figure out how to stiffen the frame back up when you cut out that much support also.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Spector, its pretty obvious you haven't read the thread, that is most of what its been about. :oops:

·
Registered
111 Posts
i've thrown this idea around in my head too...

something i thought about doing was taking the latches from convertables and putting four of them on the removable part [2 front 2 back] and this will keep it pretty secure. I would also look into getting a roll bar & MM subframe connectors. Make sure you take your time when you are cuttin the roof. Make it nice and clean. I really wanna see pics! Anyone wanna PS something up???

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Good idea Junior, a real roll cage, at least a 6 point I think to do much good. Maybe like a road racing cage.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Its doing great Junior! I love it. Probably up a bit over 300 hp at the crank now.

·
Registered
111 Posts
thats awesome to hear rick!

Something else to add to the list of Targra top parts would probably be racing seats...not a must have, but a good idea with their seat belts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts