Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Mustang GT Premium
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will there be any issues running a 275 tire on a 8.5 wheel? (Stock wheels)
2017 mustang GT premium

·
Administrator
807 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining MustangEvolution!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
I encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
Do you need help posting? Please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you’ve chosen to join our community.

I’ll put like this … The tire will go onto the wheel and be usable. Weather or not you will have any issues depends on the particular tire. It’s best to check with the manufacturers recommendations before making the leap.

Stick with the tire sizes designed to fit your wheels. That is MY recommendation!

That being said:
Generally speaking, a 255 sits flush on an 8.5” wheel already, so going bigger is going to pull the sidewalls inwards. This will pull up on the tread contact area and reduce the amount of road/tire contact patch. This doesn’t mean you can’t do it, but it’s probably not the best use of your budget. Also, the difference in size probably isn’t enough to gain any advantage even on a properly sized wheel for then275’s.

Just my worthless 2¢, other members might have a different opinion.

Perhaps Dino, Grimbrand, 5LHO , or Recon can offer a better or more accurate answer. I’m an amateur with regards to tires and wheel fittment.

·
Dragon Tail Master
1,336 Posts
Will there be any issues running a 275 tire on a 8.5 wheel? (Stock wheels)
2017 mustang GT premium
I had 275/40 19's on a 9 inch wheel which is actually the Skinniest wheel recommended and truthfully those wheels were not wide enough so I would not go anything over a 255 on an 8.5.

Reactions: crjackson

·
Registered
2017 Mustang GT Premium
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had 275/40 19's on a 9 inch wheel which is actually the Skinniest wheel recommended and truthfully those wheels were not wide enough so I would not go anything over a 255 on an 8.5.
Thanks for your feedback
I still don’t know why ford would make a 19x8.5 wheel

·
Administrator
807 Posts
Said, I hope you got the information you needed. I was hoping a few others would see your post and jump in, but people do lead busy lives.

Thanks Dragon Tail Master for echoing my feedback. We’re moving forward with the forum, but it’s a slow start. I really appreciate all the help and advice we can get around here.

Said, post back with some pics when you get this all sorted out.

Reactions: Siber Express

·
Dragon Tail Master
1,336 Posts
Thanks for your feedback
I still don’t know why ford would make a 19x8.5 wheel
The2013/14 Shelby GT500 SVT rear wheels are a 20X9.5 with a 285 width tire on them. The tire and wheels sizes that Ford ran was always complained about. I am running wider tires on the rear than the 2013/14 Shelby GT500 for the handling aspect. I know they are running a 305 width tire on the newer GT350/500 and Mach1 so Ford is getting better on the higher end models but the Stock GT wheels are still an 18X8 inch wheel with 235/50 tires on it.
I have a 19x9 with 255/40 Front and a 19X10 rear with 295/35 rear on my 2013.

Reactions: crjackson

·
Registered
4 Posts
I run the 275/40R17 Mickey Thompson Drag Radical on my 2018 Ecoboost Mustang. I ended up purchasing 17x10 JMS wheels.
I think the min. width size was 9.5", but the recommended width was 10".
PS: the 275/40R17 tires look a bit odd on my car... should of gone with a taller tire... maybe a 275/50?

·
Administrator
807 Posts
Reactions: Coyote Chaser
1 - 8 of 8 Posts