Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I've noticed a small vibration/rattle coming from the engine [2012 5.0]. Under hard acceleration around 4000 RPM. I've looked up videos of pinging and it sounds kinda similar.. Not as drastic though. Car is completely stock and i run on 87octane. Has 25,000 miles on it. Could it in fact be engine pinging? Or something else?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Cheap gas sir. 91 or higher
IMO

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
I would try better gas first, I only buy shell premium and don't have any issues with it.

You bought a nice car so treat her well and spend the extra .25 per gallon, I mean it's about $3.50 per tank

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
GrabberBlue5.0 said:
I would try better gas first, I only buy shell premium and don't have any issues with it.

You bought a nice car so treat her well and spend the extra .25 per gallon, I mean it's about $3.50 per tank
Yep, well worth the investment in your engine.

·
Registered
145 Posts
All fuel comes from pretty much the same place, its the additives and maintenance of the fuel and fuel pumps that is gonna help you out. I had been filling up with 91 from Quick trip (shell). For three tanks i had switched to 87 at the corner gas station (valero) under spirited driving or maintaining higher than normal rpms my 5.0 would on occasion develop a misfire in cylinder six, back off and drive normal it would go away. switched back to QT (shell) staying at 87 it never had a misfire again, its not necessarily the octane in every case. The additives and maintenance of pumps is worth the slightly higher prices. I have pulled in to QT and they have all the pumps shut down for maintenance/filter changes and to re-certify there pumps.

·
Registered
428 Posts
GrabberBlue5.0 said:

+10

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
2012Vader5.0 said:
All fuel comes from pretty much the same place, its the additives and maintenance of the fuel and fuel pumps that is gonna help you out. I had been filling up with 91 from Quick trip (shell). For three tanks i had switched to 87 at the corner gas station (valero) under spirited driving or maintaining higher than normal rpms my 5.0 would on occasion develop a misfire in cylinder six, back off and drive normal it would go away. switched back to QT (shell) staying at 87 it never had a misfire again, its not necessarily the octane in every case. The additives and maintenance of pumps is worth the slightly higher prices. I have pulled in to QT and they have all the pumps shut down for maintenance/filter changes and to re-certify there pumps.
Exactly! Petroleum is petroleum is petroleum. The additives and distribution chain have a lot of effect as you said. Where do you think the cheapo stations save their money? It's not because the fuel is cheaper...

I used to run a mix of BP, Speedway and Shell and had constant issues in many cars by many manufacturers. I tried running only shell, only BP, and only speedway for a month each, and Shell was the only one that consistently had good fuel. Ford motors in particular seem to be picky about fuel though.

·
Registered
428 Posts
2012Vader5.0 said:
Qt gas is bullcrap I fill up on qt and go.back and forth to work and I need gas by Thursday..shell. chevron sat .its unreal

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks ppl, I'm just going to go fill up with 93 octane. Hopefully it'll run smoother.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
2012Vader5.0 said:
How many miles are you seeing out of a tank?

*edit: depending on driving habits i see about 250 310
I usually get about 250, never came close to 310...

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
I will say that my fuel economy has gone up with shell fuel, I've been runnin it since I got my roush mufflers installed, I have been harder on the throttle and average better mpgs. I do not go by the car, I do all the math and tracking through and app in which I input all info myself, and this has been a long term test, I've been running nothing but shell for almost 2 months now

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

Before I was averaging 270 per tank and now it's ~315

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Hmm I only average 180-200 on a tank using BP 93 and its usually under "spirited" driving habits... Does it sound normal?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Butch said:
Cheap gas sir. 91 or higher
IMO
If it wasn't igniting why would higher octane change anything?

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

Azure said:
Yeah, I wouldn't put anything less than 91 octane in your tank.
I don't understand why people think that higher octane means better gas. It technically means worse gas in terms of not people able to combust as easily.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,195 Posts

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

I don't understand why people think that higher octane means better gas. It technically means worse gas in terms of not people able to combust as easily.
It doesn't mean better gas. It means it burns at a higher temp. So, in OP's case, hopefully it will stop pre-ignition that might be happening.

The additives in the gas make it better gas.

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
Mustangs said:

What?!?!? For your first half, the proper term is detonating, this vehicle was made to use 91 or higher, while it can use 87 it is far less than ideal, engine will pull timing WHEN knock is detected, not if it is detected. So again not ideal.

Higher octane is FAR from meaning worse gas. Higher octane means higher energy. Yes it requires more heat/pressure, but it also yields more energy output.

Sure you can eat sugar but your body will burn it up quickly, but eating starches and grains (complex carbohydrates) will give you better longer lasting energy. It burns slowly but also gives your body exponentially more energy and is far better for you

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Mustangs said:

Im not sure on the 5.0's but on my Cobra she requires premium. Just figuring more octane smoother burn. No gas expert here just my $1.27.
Plus for performance made engines you'd figure higher octane, look at race cars and jets( I know its a hella difference from them to us) higher octane for a reason. If not then just put 87 in those suckers

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
Butch said:
Im not sure on the 5.0's but on my Cobra she requires premium. Just figuring more octane smoother burn. No gas expert here just my $1.27.
Plus for performance made engines you'd figure higher octane, look at race cars and jets( I know its a hella difference from them to us) higher octane for a reason. If not then just put 87 in those suckers
It's due mostly to compression and timing advance... But yeah, you're on the right track for sure butch

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Azure said:
It doesn't mean better gas. It means it burns at a higher temp. So, in OP's case, hopefully it will stop pre-ignition that might be happening.

The additives in the gas make it better gas.
GrabberBlue5.0 said:
What?!?!? For your first half, the proper term is detonating, this vehicle was made to use 91 or higher, while it can use 87 it is far less than ideal, engine will pull timing WHEN knock is detected, not if it is detected. So again not ideal.

Higher octane is FAR from meaning worse gas. Higher octane means higher energy. Yes it requires more heat/pressure, but it also yields more energy output.

Sure you can eat sugar but your body will burn it up quickly, but eating starches and grains (complex carbohydrates) will give you better longer lasting energy. It burns slowly but also gives your body exponentially more energy and is far better for you
GrabberBlue5.0 said:
It's due mostly to compression and timing advance... But yeah, you're
on the right track for sure butch
So glad I didnt end up alone on this one, a subject im not to great at + alone would of had to jump off a bridge or something.

So compression and timing, higher octane better compression smoother timing? (I dont even know how to ask about this but hope it makes sense)

1 - 20 of 106 Posts