Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some advice on whether i should do a 2v build on my 1996 gt vert or just sell it and buy a cobra. im looking for a cobra in the 96-98 range not any newer than that. Its either that or i do trickflow heads and cams and LT headers. what are your thoughts

·
Registered
681 Posts
poncho2049 said:
Just looking for some advice on whether i should do a 2v build on my 1996 gt vert or just sell it and buy a cobra. im looking for a cobra in the 96-98 range not any newer than that. Its either that or i do trickflow heads and cams and LT headers. what are your thoughts
Buy a cobra. If you have deep pockets, rebuild. Check out my posts. I rebuild because I love 2 valve sound and performance. Getting kick ass power takes talent and $.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's true. I've built other cars in the past but I'm on a marine budget now. Haha. Il prolly end up getting a cobra. It's what I wanted but my gt was listed for such a good price

·
Registered
681 Posts
Get ahead of the game. Cobras have hardened internals already. Costs about 3K to upgrade internals. Maybe more. Gaskets, bearings, man hours. So on.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Get ahead of the game. Cobras have hardened internals already. Costs about 3K to upgrade internals. Maybe more. Gaskets, bearings, man hours. So on.
Pre-'03 Cobras "only" had forged cranks. The rods are still powdered metal and the pistons are still hypereutectic. To the OP, it really depends on what your power goals are. If you'd be fine with ~290rwhp then you can just do a PI heads/cams/intake manifold swap, maybe have the heads machined down a bit to bump the compression further, full bolt-ons, and 4.10s. That would be a nice little setup for a couple thousand. Of course I would rather have the Cobra ('96-'98 Cobras are my favorite modern Mustangs), but that is an option.

·
Registered
681 Posts
GSRGuy94 said:
Pre-'03 Cobras "only" had forged cranks. The rods are still powdered metal and the pistons are still hypereutectic. To the OP, it really depends on what your power goals are. If you'd be fine with ~290rwhp then you can just do a PI heads/cams/intake manifold swap, maybe have the heads machined down a bit to bump the compression further, full bolt-ons, and 4.10s. That would be a nice little setup for a couple thousand. Of course I would rather have the Cobra ('96-'98 Cobras are my favorite modern Mustangs), but that is an option.
Dang, DEFLATED! Off topic: What is the 97 GT pistons with crank rated at? Hit me up on priva mail. I am pushing 279 RWHP on a good day. good info BTW.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts