Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy gears for my 8.8, the guy has both ratios, I wanna hear your guys opinions on both. Mine is a daily, but I want that throw you in your seat kinda torque. I have 18 inch rims so I don't think traction will really be an issue either

·
Registered
598 Posts
Surffer227 said:
I'm about to buy gears for my 8.8, the guy has both ratios, I wanna hear your guys opinions on both. Mine is a daily, but I want that throw you in your seat kinda torque. I have 18 inch rims so I don't think traction will really be an issue either
Definitely 3.73 if you want any kind of throw you back in ur seat feel

·
Registered
160 Posts
Surffer227 said:
How much did you pay for the 8.8 rear end? I wanna do that swap soon but I can't find a good price on any

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have 4.10s and LOVE em! i dont think 3.73 will throw u back to much... but then again i have never driven with 3.73s

·
Registered
58 Posts
Manual. I have the FRPP Cams so because they are for higher RPM i needed to make up the Lower RPM so went with the 4.10s. I can actually spin tires at 100mph! YES you read that right 100mph! I have a youtube video proving it at Epping Dragway in NH. just check out my channel. Search MDoane44 on Youtube. but go with 4.10s!!!!!!!!! return what you have and just do it! you can thank me later...lol

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Weren't you wanting to do a turbo build or something? If that's still the case just get 3.55's

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Surffer227 said:
Are 3.73sto tall for turbo?
Not really, just common place for 3.27-3.55's

·
Registered
502 Posts
Depends on how much power you go with turbo. You want to stay in the power band as long as possible that's why lower gears are better for forced induction

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yes you will hit the power band faster but you will also leave it faster because once the boost kicks in its going to push you through the rpms

·
Registered
48 Posts
3.73 is satisfying, but you will want more. 3.55 is almost no change in performance at all, so what's the point? I kindof wish I had done 3.90, but 4.10 seems like it would be too steep for a dd. If I were you, I would go with 3.73, or 3.90. As for gas mileage, it will all depend on how you drive. You actually burn less gas by keeping your RPMs higher, it has been proven. This is because it takes less energy to keep everything moving/turning/rotating than it does to get everything moving. The reason people feel like they have lost gas mileage with steeper gears is that they usually install TLOK with new gears, which DOES reduce gas mileage considerably, and also people usually romp on the gas more once they have the new gears, since they feel like they have a ferrari all of a sudden after simple mods.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well wouldn't you get into boost quicker with taller gears
Yes, and you will top out too fast and end up making loud "oh my God I can't find the gear" noises. In lamen's terms, you will go through the gears way too fast. With 6 cylinder boosted mustangs, 3.73 is by far the most popular, but depending on your other mods (if any), your optimum gearing may be lower. I have read many many horror stories of people boosting their stang and leaving the 3.90s or 4.10s in.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
3.73 is satisfying, but you will want more. 3.55 is almost no change in performance at all, so what's the point? I kindof wish I had done 3.90, but 4.10 seems like it would be too steep for a dd. If I were you, I would go with 3.73, or 3.90. As for gas mileage, it will all depend on how you drive. You actually burn less gas by keeping your RPMs higher, it has been proven. This is because it takes less energy to keep everything moving/turning/rotating than it does to get everything moving. The reason people feel like they have lost gas mileage with steeper gears is that they usually install TLOK with new gears, which DOES reduce gas mileage considerably, and also people usually romp on the gas more once they have the new gears, since they feel like they have a ferrari all of a sudden after simple mods.
a t-lok decreasing mileage... that is the first time I have ever heard that

·
Registered
108 Posts
Tlock reducing mileage.... Say it aint so. Steeper gears are what reduces mileage, you turn 3500rpms at 70mph and let me turn 2800 and see who runs out of gas first lol...

Gears and boost kind of depend on the type of forced induction....

Turbo: stock gears work fine, 3.55s work great
Centri: 3.73s work great, 4.10s work
Positive displacement: stock gears work fine again... or whatever you want

·
Registered
48 Posts
a t-lok decreasing mileage... that is the first time I have ever heard that
Probably because everyone blames it on the gears!

Takes more gas to turn two wheels at the same rate than it does 1!

This is why 4wd cars burn the most gas!

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 AM ----------

Tlock reducing mileage.... Say it aint so. Steeper gears are what reduces mileage, you turn 3500rpms at 70mph and let me turn 2800 and see who runs out of gas first lol...

Gears and boost kind of depend on the type of forced induction....

Turbo: stock gears work fine, 3.55s work great
Centri: 3.73s work great, 4.10s work
Positive displacement: stock gears work fine again... or whatever you want
All else the same, you will. I gotta find that link....

Think about it, when you run, is it easier to do suicides or run a straight mile? You spend more energy stopping and going in your run than if you just kept jogging the entire length of a track. Inertia and motion and laws of physics and all that...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts