Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth replacing the already forged crank and rods or should I just do my Pistons. I plan on putting on LPMs turbo. As long as the info I have is correct iT sounds like this nine is pretty well equipped already for making some good power. My goal is to make a reliable mid 500 horsepower and torque car that will have some longevity. Or is forging the wrong way to go on eBay used engines for the 3.7 are less than $2,000 should I just drive until my engine goes then buy a new one? Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
476 Posts
I would go for a forged bottom end, and some dished pistons. Super Six Motorsports sells a kit for this engine.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
'I would' save your engine and build the crap out of an used engine off e-bay :)

·
Registered
4,018 Posts

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
'I would' save your engine and build the crap out of an used engine off e-bay :)
;)

Pistons and rods are the only things you need, and head studs.
The stock crank is fine. Just make sure you polish it and balance the rotatng assembly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
I would go for a forged bottom end, and some dished pistons. Super Six Motorsports sells a kit for this engine.
Super six sells a stroker kit.
You'd be fine sticking to stock compression, even with boost.
As of now, manley, Diamond, and ssm are the only companies that offer pistons. Manley offers rods, and a forged crank. Ssm offers a 4.0 stroker, and they told me that they have no intentions of offering rods for non-stroker applocations.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Not to shabby to start with.

Ford Mustang 3.7L V6 Engine Explained | A 3.7L V6 Mustang Owner Resource for Modifications and Repairs

3.7 V6 Cyclone is a very strong engine to start with. I would not worry one bit about just sticking a Turbo or Supercharger on this engine. Many people have already done it without any problems I heard of.

From 2011 up, Ford wisely used the same Transmission and 8.8 rear that is in the V8's. Sure ain't going to be a problem there with more power. I do suggest getting the aluminum drive shaft though.

Ronnie

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Ford Mustang 3.7L V6 Engine Explained | A 3.7L V6 Mustang Owner Resource for Modifications and Repairs

3.7 V6 Cyclone is a very strong engine to start with. I would not worry one bit about just sticking a Turbo or Supercharger on this engine. Many people have already done it without any problems I heard of.

From 2011 up, Ford wisely used the same Transmission and 8.8 rear that is in the V8's. Sure ain't going to be a problem there with more power. I do suggest getting the aluminum drive shaft though.

Ronnie
The tuning on mine was atrocious. It caused me to lose 25% compression in cyl 2. Misfire, not change gears, etc.
If you want more than 550whp, you need 3 things.
1)boost
2)forged pistons (at least, rods will help)
3)a good tune. I can not stress that enough.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The tuning on mine was atrocious. It caused me to lose 25% compression in cyl 2. Misfire, not change gears, etc.
If you want more than 550whp, you need 3 things.
1)boost
2)forged pistons (at least, rods will help)
3)a good tune. I can not stress that enough.

MR ALREFIRE how important would you say the tune is 😂 I'm sorry man.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
520 Posts
is it worth it to build a 3.7 motor

NO

just my opinion, why? because it cost a lot of money for what you get in the long run..

i just feel that the 3.7 isnt exactly the best platform for building a race car.. thats coming from a guy with a boosted one

·
Registered
427 Posts

NO

just my opinion, why? because it cost a lot of money for what you get in the long run..

i just feel that the 3.7 isnt exactly the best platform for building a race car.. thats coming from a guy with a boosted one

Guys build Hondas. To me that's a waste of money. Making a 3.7 fast? Now that's impressive.
If you have the money then why not. I would love to hear a 3.7 beat a 5.0. Just makes it that much better

·
Registered
520 Posts
Guys build Hondas. To me that's a waste of money. Making a 3.7 fast? Now that's impressive.
If you have the money then why not. I would love to hear a 3.7 beat a 5.0. Just makes it that much better

i can tell you right now its cheaper to build a honda then a 3.7 mustang.

i have a procharged 3.7 and it beats stock and some mild bolt on tune 5.0's but we are talking about building motors here and building the 3.7 cyclone inparticular is insanely expensive.. there's a guy on cyclone mustangs who invested over 10k into building his 3.7 and made some like 550+rwhp with the procharger platform

not to mention working with mmr who at the time was the only company making forged internals for this motor is extremely tough a simple google search of them will tell you everything you need to know

i know clamphier is pushing that platform to the limit but not everyone here has access to a shop like him. so those people will have to fork out the coin to have there motors built unless they know how..

·
Registered
138 Posts
i can tell you right now its cheaper to build a honda then a 3.7 mustang.

i have a procharged 3.7 and it beats stock and some mild bolt on tune 5.0's but we are talking about building motors here and building the 3.7 cyclone inparticular is insanely expensive.. there's a guy on cyclone mustangs who invested over 10k into building his 3.7 and made some like 550+rwhp with the procharger platform

not to mention working with mmr who at the time was the only company making forged internals for this motor is extremely tough a simple google search of them will tell you everything you need to know

i know clamphier is pushing that platform to the limit but not everyone here has access to a shop like him. so those people will have to fork out the coin to have there motors built unless they know how..
Are you suggesting that your not 100% happy with your procharger setup? I was thinking eventually getting procharged, but so many people have sold theirs and moved onto 5.0s or better performing cars.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts

On a scale of 1-10, about a 15

NO

1.5k internals, 650 machine work, 300 head studs, 80 bearings, 80 misc bolts 100 misc stuff, and about 200 for your own assembly things,
Not too bad ;)

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts

On a scale of 1-10, about a 15
You may be understating that rating! Planning to get my replacement engine in the next month. Then start tuning all over again - and not using BBR this time. I'll have more on the tuning when we are ready; working on something special for that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So is the best idea just to use nitrious for the time being and go to a 5.0 when I have the cash. It's funny the kits that make these cars fast are over $5000 but to replace the whole engine it's half that. I already have my care doing 0-60 in less than 5 secs and I fairly happy with the power personally I feel like a mid 500 horsepower car is quite perfect for having a lot of fun. Now days people want as much power a possible and that's just crazy to me I'm not super impressed with how fast your car goes in a straight line I'm More into how fast you can go at the track. ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424115586.149809.jpg
I went to Las Vegas and raced at the track you could drive any car you wanted and the car I had the most fun in was the 6 cylinder twin turbo GTR. I'm wishing now I just looked harder for a car and maybe bought the GT but with my driving record I don't think I could afford it. Insurance wise.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is it best to have custom tuning done for your car, when you get a turbo installed?

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
You may be understating that rating! Planning to get my replacement engine in the next month. Then start tuning all over again - and not using BBR this time. I'll have more on the tuning when we are ready; working on something special for that.
Oh I know.
I popped mine with a crappy tune that made atrocious power. Had issues from day 1.

·
Registered
476 Posts
That is entirely dependent on the type of racing you do. There are potential classing advantages to NOT using the 5.0 in both time trial and American Iron. In TT, you start a full base class lower, and have a lower minimum weight to work with. In AI, you have a way lower minimum weight, or you can go forced induction, and still have a lower minimum weight, and a more capable car in the corners...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts