Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I'm sure there is a thread about this somewhere, but I've got my own questions about this. I want to put 3.73 gears in my car. I know it will give better acceleration off the line and kinda kill my mpg but I didn't buy a mustang to get mpg. wondering what else ill really need to get, what would be best to upgrade at the smell time and everything

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

m_tyler_r said:
Okay I'm sure there is a thread about this somewhere, but I've got my own questions about this. I want to put 3.73 gears in my car. I know it will give better acceleration off the line and kinda kill my mpg but I didn't buy a mustang to get mpg. wondering what else ill really need to get, what would be best to upgrade at the smell time and everything
same time****

·
Registered
36 Posts
You'll have to recalibrate your speedo after the install.
I've always had tuners for my mustangs so it was an easy fix.
Gotta do my 2013 soon and the 3.73 is my favorite.

·
Registered
809 Posts
If you have an auto then you also need a tune or you can seriously screw up your transmission. I read that somewhere but there were other people saying the same thing. I know I would tune if going with gears. Also, I would source a place to do the install and get a quote. Make sure to install that tune before you start up for the first time. Ford also recommends 5min regular of idle and 5min of idle with AC on Max to let the computer learn. I would buy a Bama tune then get gears. The Bama tune will give instant gratification till you get the gears installed. Once your ready to do the gears Bama can get u a tune for it since you will have free tunes for life....

Win

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rebeltx said:
If you have an auto then you also need a tune or you can seriously screw up your transmission. I read that somewhere but there were other people saying the same thing. I know I would tune if going with gears. Also, I would source a place to do the install and get a quote. Make sure to install that tune before you start up for the first time. Ford also recommends 5min regular of idle and 5min of idle with AC on Max to let the computer learn. I would buy a Bama tune then get gears. The Bama tune will give instant gratification till you get the gears installed. Once your ready to do the gears Bama can get u a tune for it since you will have free tunes for life....

Win
greatest response ever! haha. so, should I just wait and get headers put on the same time I get the gears so they can tune it all at once?

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
greatest response ever! haha. so, should I just wait and get headers put on the same time I get the gears so they can tune it all at once?
Well if you do American Muscle's Bama tunes, they offer free tunes for life, so you can request new tunes everytime you change something on your car.

They are pretty awesome. They give you a Race, Performance, Street tune. Last time I got tunes I got 2 different styled race tunes and a street tune. So they definitely do accomodate!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nosympathy said:
Well if you do American Muscle's Bama tunes, they offer free tunes for life, so you can request new tunes everytime you change something on your car.

They are pretty awesome. They give you a Race, Performance, Street tune. Last time I got tunes I got 2 different styled race tunes and a street tune. So they definitely do accomodate!
sounds like a good way to go

·
Registered
809 Posts
It wouldn't hurt but it's not necessary. You could save the $ by installing the long tubes yourself, it's not that hard really. You will need to make sure the long tube's will bolt to your stock exhaust though. Also, with your free tunes for life you don't need to worry about getting the tune done all at once. Pay to have the 3.73's put in and load that tune(Bama will give it to you, just ask). Then when you are ready, talk to Bama and tell them what you plan to add long tubes. They might want to see the data log's from your current tune, no big deal, it's for the best anyways and will keep your car safe. Once they see your tune they will make adjustments as needed and add in parameters for the long tubes... And there you have it, most cost effective and technically the right way to do it... In my opinion at least.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rebeltx said:
It wouldn't hurt but it's not necessary. You could save the $ by installing the long tubes yourself, it's not that hard really. You will need to make sure the long tube's will bolt to your stock exhaust though. Also, with your free tunes for life you don't need to worry about getting the tune done all at once. Pay to have the 3.73's put in and load that tune(Bama will give it to you, just ask). Then when you are ready, talk to Bama and tell them what you plan to add long tubes. They might want to see the data log's from your current tune, no big deal, it's for the best anyways and will keep your car safe. Once they see your tune they will make adjustments as needed and add in parameters for the long tubes... And there you have it, most cost effective and technically the right way to do it... In my opinion at least.
I have borla catback and I'm getting borla headers to finish the exhaust. and yeah I think I'll go about it that way. if I order the gears from AM, do I need to get all the extra options from AM? like the little drop down menus they have when you are looking at the gears

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
m_tyler_r said:
I have borla catback and I'm getting borla headers to finish the exhaust. and yeah I think I'll go about it that way. if I order the gears from AM, do I need to get all the extra options from AM? like the little drop down menus they have when you are looking at the gears
Are you doing the gears yourself? If not I would find a shop that you want to have do it first and see what they offer. Might get a discount that way.

I have a local mustang only shop that did gears, oil, rebuild kit, etc. +labor for 550+tax.

If I had purchased the gears seperetly it would have cost more as they discounted the parts.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nosympathy said:
Are you doing the gears yourself? If not I would find a shop that you want to have do it first and see what they offer. Might get a discount that way.

I have a local mustang only shop that did gears, oil, rebuild kit, etc. +labor for 550+tax.

If I had purchased the gears seperetly it would have cost more as they discounted the parts.
yeah there's this place called gearheads in Arlington that is almost all mustangs. I'm gonna get them to do it

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
alrefire said:
it'll just shift at random points, and your speedo will be off
Mines didn't when I installed them maybe you got wrong info. What it did do was that my speedo was off

·
Registered
730 Posts
On a manual,when you re-calibrate your speedo, will the dealer see this? I want to put in 3.73 in the spring but don't want any dealer woes. : )

·
Registered
790 Posts
MrMike said:
On a manual,when you re-calibrate your speedo, will the dealer see this? I want to put in 3.73 in the spring but don't want any dealer woes. : )
Even if they didnt see it they are going to know when they drive it and it goes like a bat out of hell!

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
MrMike said:
Yes. The dealer may be able to calibrate it

·
Registered
730 Posts
Midnight2012 said:
Even if they didnt see it they are going to know when they drive it and it goes like a bat out of hell!
Lol, I just want them to think its stock and nobodys touched anything.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The dealer will not calibrate anything but 2.93/3.31 gears, because that is all V6s came with from the factory. This had been discussed many times and they don't have optional programming for these vehicles for the other gear ratios. They reflash the whole PCM to a factory config, not alter specific parts.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts