Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone install 3.73's themself. Im looking to do my own work. Im pretty damn mechanically inclined, i just want to know if there is people out there that have installed them or anyother gear ratios themselves. Just in case i get stuck. If so, what was the most difficult part in installing them?? Thanks

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
i have done a few. its actually pretty easy if you ask me. you will need a few specialty tools. i was able to get what i dont have work.

you will need a bearing seperator and puller. a press is handy but can be done without. but i found a a pipe the size of the inner race and the bearngs tapped on the new gears.

you will also need a micrometer and dial indicator.

now since you probably wont be buying the master install kit i would get some gear mesh compound. that usually comes with the kit that wont be buying.

it sounds complicated but its really not bad at all. the hardest part if you dont have an extra hand is getting the carrier bolted back in with the shims and outer races. its like you need 3 hands. lol

with all that said and the special tools you need, most likely you will be ale to get away with all the same shims that are in there as long as you use the frpp gears. but will still need checked.

·
Registered
525 Posts
i have done a few. its actually pretty easy if you ask me. you will need a few specialty tools. i was able to get what i dont have work.

you will need a bearing seperator and puller. a press is handy but can be done without. but i found a a pipe the size of the inner race and the bearngs tapped on the new gears.

you will also need a micrometer and dial indicator.

now since you probably wont be buying the master install kit i would get some gear mesh compound. that usually comes with the kit that wont be buying.

it sounds complicated but its really not bad at all. the hardest part if you dont have an extra hand is getting the carrier bolted back in with the shims and outer races. its like you need 3 hands. lol

with all that said and the special tools you need, most likely you will be ale to get away with all the same shims that are in there as long as you use the frpp gears. but will still need checked.
thats the truth about the 3 hands..lol

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks alot, and the heads up on the tools needed. Im going to place my order on the gears and give it a shot.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Thanks alot, and the heads up on the tools needed. Im going to place my order on the gears and give it a shot.
More power too ya man. Local place in Cincy does gear swaps for 550.

Once I started adding everything up and such, the labor was dirt cheap from them. Specially since I didn't have the correct tools.

Not to count the fact that the guy, who the shop ONLY works on mustangs, had never seen my pinion bearing before in a 2011, and told me it probably would break, and of course it did, and they even gave me that part for DIRT cheap. Like 20 bucks. Think they sell for 50 ish bucks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
They want 450 just for the labor here in bklyn ny and 180 for the gears and 100 for the install kit total 700 having my 373 done this week can't wait

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, im definately going to be doing the install myself. Screw spending all that dough for labor. Ill buy the tools. Its nice having tools anyways.

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
2013_stang_gt said:
Yep, im definately going to be doing the install myself. Screw spending all that dough for labor. Ill buy the tools. Its nice having tools anyways.
right on. thats how i am to. if you have a harbor frieght near you the tools can be had relativley cheap. :good:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have MAC tools nearby, pretty good quality. I dont have harbor freight round here. Yeah, im looking at trying to learn as much as i can by doing my own work. This way i know im never being over charged, or bamboozled. My wife always ask me to take the cars into the dealership for issues. I just give her that look while i spend hours troubleshooting.

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
2013_stang_gt said:
I have MAC tools nearby, pretty good quality. I dont have harbor freight round here. Yeah, im looking at trying to learn as much as i can by doing my own work. This way i know im never being over charged, or bamboozled. My wife always ask me to take the cars into the dealership for issues. I just give her that look while i spend hours troubleshooting.
Exactly! Mac are way better than harbor freight.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
nosympathy said:
More power too ya man. Local place in Cincy does gear swaps for 550.

Once I started adding everything up and such, the labor was dirt cheap from them. Specially since I didn't have the correct tools.

Not to count the fact that the guy, who the shop ONLY works on mustangs, had never seen my pinion bearing before in a 2011, and told me it probably would break, and of course it did, and they even gave me that part for DIRT cheap. Like 20 bucks. Think they sell for 50 ish bucks.
What place is that. Does 550 include the gear?

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
dont do it, get a pro to handle gears. It nearly never ever works out right. You need experience in that dept. to get them installed worry free and noise free. You can of course learn the hard way if you wish.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
yea, its great you want to learn, I would suggest learning on someone elses car though.

If you dont mind buying a couple spare sets of gears and doing it 3 times then go for it. Also after that it may still be off~ and you may end up having a pro do it. Just a warning of course, do what ever you wish and have fun just know the risks.

Another solution is to find someone REALLY good at doing gears, get them to do the install while you hang out and learn/help. It sounds really simple, but its not how it ends up :( I love doing my own stuff, but gears are an art vs just go by the books.

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
SpectorV said:
yea, its great you want to learn, I would suggest learning on someone elses car though.

If you dont mind buying a couple spare sets of gears and doing it 3 times then go for it. Also after that it may still be off~ and you may end up having a pro do it. Just a warning of course, do what ever you wish and have fun just know the risks.

Another solution is to find someone REALLY good at doing gears, get them to do the install while you hang out and learn/help. It sounds really simple, but its not how it ends up :( I love doing my own stuff, but gears are an art vs just go by the books.
It's definitely a good warning.
After the install listen very closely for any whining. That way you don't tear anything up. :good:
To me they are not hard at all. I do have an alignment background from working in the mills though.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Napoleon85 said:
What place is that. Does 550 include the gear?
Paul's automotive and engineering. Mustang only shop.

Yes 550 included everything. Minus the pinion bearing that broke, but generally that doesn't happen cause people have normal ones and not the weird one I had.

Also kept my old gears. So it wasn't like they were trying to sell them or anything. Not that they'd get much for them.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
nosympathy said:
Paul's automotive and engineering. Mustang only shop.

Yes 550 included everything. Minus the pinion bearing that broke, but generally that doesn't happen cause people have normal ones and not the weird one I had.

Also kept my old gears. So it wasn't like they were trying to sell them or anything. Not that they'd get much for them.
Paul's is good.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts