Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys new to Mustang but have some experience with cars in general.
I am in a process of swapping my stock gear to 3.73 and this a best pattern I managed to get using supplied washers.
Need your input.

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
ok, sorry it took me so long. what is your backlash?

Here is a chart that should help you find what you need to do. I wanted run it with the pattern you have. you need to do more shimming. If you have run out of shims try taking some out of one side and put them in the other. Usually you can get away with the factory shim pack that was under the pinion bearing and just adjust the carrier left or right as needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
ok, sorry it took me so long. what is your backlash?

Here is a chart that should help you find what you need to do. I wanted run it with the pattern you have. you need to do more shimming. If you have run out of shims try taking some out of one side and put them in the other. Usually you can get away with the factory shim pack that was under the pinion bearing and just adjust the carrier left or right as needed.

The backlash now is.015
Unfortunately I had to replace the stock pinion shim from 0.7mm to 0.4mm (sorry for metric) to be able to get more or less good pattern. 'Cause the big pinion on my SVT was thin one with the big spacer behid it, but the one that came with the kit was about the size of the old one+spacer. So stockshim of 7mm with backlash of 10 it was throwing drive pattern to the toe while coast side was more at heel. I am not too sure maybe I went too far with 0.4mm pinion...
Also. Could you please describe all 6 of each scenarios with pinon close and away? in the other words, why would same symptom be represented in the different patterns?
By any chance you may have picture of good patterns both drive and coast?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But from the other side I cannot match my coast pattern to any of them. So maybe I am OK with pinion shim and will be able do get away with reducing backlash.
This is strange, my drive side pattern is nice and smooth all over the surface...

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Hey, how about telling us what we need to know about doing our on gear swap? Seems as if you definitely have the knowledge about it. Who knows, I might change my Shelby to a 3.73 sometime.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All in one.
I could not match this pattern to any of the chart(((
But from the other side it looks like it requires even thinner pinion shim according to Ford's procedure. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I cannot understand one thing. When Backlash is within specs 008"-012"/015" and the pattern doesn't match, does that mean that the pinion shim has to be adjusted or still could have work to do within that 008-015 range?

Here is a coast side patter from last 3 measurements as a drive ones are not that clear.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am sory for dumping all this questions on you))) But pleas, could you go thgouh all the posts I've placed and see what answers you have for me. Probably it would be a good idea to skype or even talk on the phone so you could give me some basics about backlash/pattern adjustments.
Cause I can see now it is not only about reading and following the manual, some experience is a must here.
At this point it's a new rear axle assembly or I have to do it myself, as we do not have anyone here who could adjust the gears.

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
I will try my best to help you. I am by no means a proffesional but I have done a couple sets.

Ok when I get home from work I will look at the chart and your patterns a bit and see if I can better help you. If you adjust the carrier to get your pattern correct and loose backlash then you will most likely have to adjust the shims behind the pinion. Every set I have done I reused the factory shim pack that was behind the pinion and able to do all my adjustments moving the carrier side to side. Because let's face it, its a pita to adjust the pinion shims.

One other key thing. The shims on the sides of the carrier should be really tight. So tight that its hard to put in. You don't want the carrier to be able to move.

It is pretty critical to Mic all the shims when starting out. That way if you get out of alignment and need to start from scratch you have a base point.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Yup. Looks good man. Next time will be easier now that you have done one. Good job.
Congrats. I thought it would be an easy swap. That's something I've never done. Can handle pretty much anything. Sounds pretty tough though.

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
Congrats. I thought it would be an easy swap. That's something I've never done. Can handle pretty much anything. Sounds pretty tough though.
Most people wont mess with gears. They can be a bit tricky. And also its best to have some specialty tools that most people don't have in there garage. But imo if you take your time and follow directions it is a pretty doable job.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It seems like my quest is not over yet.))
I did not payed attention on disassembly but now that I've put every thing together I found out that there is a little lateral axle play less or about 1mm on both axles. Is it supposed to be like that or I've messed something?

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
LizardGT500 said:
It seems like my quest is not over yet.))
I did not payed attention on disassembly but now that I've put every thing together I found out that there is a little lateral axle play less or about 1mm on both axles. Is it supposed to be like that or I've messed something?
You saying the axle will move in and out correct? This is normal. It's part of the c clip design. There really isn't anything you can do about it.

You should remember it being able to do this when you first pulled the axles when you started disassembly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts