Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought 3.73 gears for my 2003 Mustang Gt. I was wondering how much would it cost if I were to have them installed for me? Right now I have 3.23 gears how much will this change effect my MPG?

· Registered
39 Posts
Generally it costs around $300-$400 for the install if you already have the ring/pinion and bearing set. This would also be an ideal to rebuild the factory trac-loc unit as well.

Going from the stock 3.27 gears ( 3.23 gears aren't even available for the 8.8. inch as far as I know), to 3.73 gears won't really have much of an impact at in city/around town driving, and the hit on highway mileage won't be much, you might lose 1- 1.5 MPG on the highway, but overall it's pretty minimal.

· Registered
37 Posts
Ring and pinion swap shouldn't cost too much, definitely no more than $500.

As for mileage, I have 3.73s in my 98 Cobra (previous owner put them in...shoulda put in 4.10s), and I will say, I do quite well on mileage. A 98 cobra was originally rated at 16/24mpg city/highway, and I average about 23mpg mixed city/highway, and I've gotten as high as 34mpg (really!) on the highway. So you shouldn't even notice a difference. Especially if you don't try to do 80+ everywhere. When I cruise at the speed limit (65-70) is when I get the best mileage. Slower or faster and it drops.

· Registered
13 Posts
All depends on who does them. I charge 400 but i have heard some shops charging as much as 900. Call ahead and get a price first. If you were worried about gas mileage you should have kept your 3.23 in it. 3. 73 will drop your milage about mile or 2 per gallon all depending on how hard you drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.