Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2004 auto 3.9L and raced my friend w/ a 2001 auto 3.8L and we raced. We did it at a traffic light and the crossway has a hill so when we crossed it our cars jumped up and down. I think I got the worse part of it...but I know he can beat me how far along the mod list do I have to go to comfortably beat him?

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
if hes stock not very far, gears, shift kit and torque converter and you should take him.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
well you have a half second disadvantage..... so you need gear/tlok (4.10s!!!!!) and exhaust with a cai and ud pulley and a manual valve body shift kit then you should win/stay even.

·
Banned
321 Posts
Or... You could just loosen his lug nuts before the next race and save some money!!

On a more serious note, I would say all the above... Plus.. If it was my car, I would get a performance chip/module.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
megax29 said:
Got a 2004 auto 3.9L and raced my friend w/ a 2001 auto 3.8L and we raced. We did it at a traffic light and the crossway has a hill so when we crossed it our cars jumped up and down. I think I got the worse part of it...but I know he can beat me how far along the mod list do I have to go to comfortably beat him?
well believe it or not, suspension is where you should really start. Suspension products actually make your car quicker. Not faster, their's a difference. When you begin to accelerate hard, your car's body and frame flex. With a few simple mods like sub-frame connectors, a strut tower brace, and springs, you can really make a difference in the way your car launches and handles. By controlling or limiting the flex and buckling of your frame, you can get the power to the wheels faster and get moving off the line quicker thus giving you better 60' times at the track. Any real true car racer/mechanic should know this and this where all your modding should begin.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
this is true suspension is what wins races, not hp/tq. However... a 04 automatic doesnt exactly have enough power to need much suspension, or the ability to launch very hard, I would definatly do soem suspension such as full length subframes along with some MM street lower control arms and perhaps a K member brace adn rear sway bar.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SpectorV
well you have a half second disadvantage..... so you need gear/tlok (4.10s!!!!!) and exhaust with a cai and ud pulley and a manual valve body shift kit then you should win/stay even. What is a manual valve body, how does it work and where can I get one for my car?

Suspension is where I'm all lost. There's so many parts in suspension packages that make me think I gotta get them all at once to benefit. I'm interested in building my suspension up in stages but I'm confused how to do it.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
well there are relative stages to suspension first what do you want? track car? street/strip car? autox car? regardless of which you want they all need braces.... so i would start with full length subframes and a junk yard rear sway bar (99 up gt, better rate) and a STB if you can fine one off a wrecked car also. I would also get a set of maximum motorsports lca's for street/strip thats a great starting point.

of course springs/shocks/struts but.... decide if you want a street/strip or drag or autox car...

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
232stang said:
get the bullit suspension package gears and t-lok all from www.gefracing.com
That's good kit for the price, but I would recommend you get sub-frame connectors instead, and a STB. These both will stiffen you your chassis dramatically. When I put my sub frames in i could feel a difference just by sitting in my car. With both these items, your car will overall handle WAY better. And then with the addition of the bullitt kit, you'll have a mean street/strip handling machine. Just some hp and you'll be all set.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really don't think it'd take as much as Spector says. I think CAI, UD Pulleys and I'll be close...exhaust and I think I might take him...shift kit and I feel pretty good about my chances. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
a stock 99 up manual have a half second advantage.... exhasut,cai,udp all together will net you .3 tenths~ still not quite enough with gears then you should be there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
get a 2600 stall and a 3;73 gear (4;10 will make your highway drive hell and rag your motor) stall is good for about 3-4 tenths and the gear will get you out of the hole better. just my thoughts

1 - 15 of 15 Posts