Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1998 mustang with a 3.8 in it and I want to know if I can swap that out for a 4.6 out of a 2000 gt?

Sent from my XT1080 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
The short answer is yes.

There are those who will ask why you would want to do something like that though. When you could just purchase a 98 Mustang GT, or a 2000, for that matter, which Ford has already kindly installed a 4.6 in at their factory...

·
Super Moderator
18,033 Posts
Will be cheaper to sell your car and buy a GT. Not making that up. Its not as simple as just dropping in the 4.6L and hooking a few things up. You'll basically need an entire donor car for wiring, ECU/cluster, suspension, rear, trans, brakes etc... If you want to do it right anyway.

So sell your car and buy a nice cheap 96-98 V8 and PI swap it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the thing I've already got a 2000 GT that's been recked so I have everything I need just wanted to know if it was possible. The 98 3.8 through a rod so instead of rebuilding I wanted to use the 4.6 I got. Thanks for the information

Sent from my XT1080 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Super Moderator
18,033 Posts
If you have a donor car already then gut the V6, remove wiring and fuel and then swap EVERYTHING from the 00 into it.

·
Super Moderator
18,033 Posts
Yep. Or you can sell the V6 and part out the 00GT and then just buy a runner depending on how much work you wanna do.

You may need to buy a Stiffler's crossmember to get that transmission in there tho, the stock setup for the t5 might not work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts