Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased used 3.8 that was in a 1998 5 speed and want to put it in my 1997 automatic.

I would think the flywheel would need taken off the blown '97 automatic engine and put on the new/used 5speed engine?

Anything else? I have complete wire harness and all, so any suggestions would help,

Thanks,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SpectorV,
Thanks for the reply. Yes that is what my brother is telling me.

He also said i might have to change the harmonic balancer.....Oh well, guess i'll compare and learn as i go.

Thanks again,

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
no, you won't have to change the balancer, and the flywheel and flexplates are two different things.

Flexplate = Auto
Flywheel = 5spd

You'll need the 5spd computer or a chip or something to remove the auto tranny from the EEC

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
its a major hassel.. its far better to sell the car and buy another one.

·
Registered
227 Posts
SpectorV said:
its a major hassel.. its far better to sell the car and buy another one.
That may be true, but where is the fun in that. It will probably take you a while but I would try and have it completed as well. What do you have more of, Time or Money?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Plus it would be a good learning experience. You never know maybe you will like it & charge people to do it someday. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
my mustang is a 1996 GT automatic i what to get a 5peed in it i got a clutch pedal out of a 2000 MUSTANG V6 will it work?... and what oder things to i have to get to do the auto to 5 speed manul swap. thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
you will need the transmission obviously,flywheel,shifter and cables,which you may need the bushing and retainer clips for the shifter cable,brake/cluth pedal with a clutch cable possibly a cluth cable retainer,flywheel bolts,pressure plate bolts maybe transmission maybe but probably not. get some brake cleaner to clean off your pressure plate and your flywheel contact surfaces you gonna need a drill to drill through the fire wall for the cluth cable which you have to set thats up to you ever how you feel comfortable doing it. the auto tranny weighs alot you may need a friend to help you lift it or just drag it out the way w/e wow there still so much you have to do your best bet is to buy a engine and tranny combo just change your ecu and put a fuse you have a space for it you have to put in some fuses if you change it over. and just drill you hole for your cluth cable there so much more you have to do.make sure you when you take the flexplate off keep all bolts and but flywheel own it should only go one way so keep turning crankcase untill all bolts line up torque mine i did 70lbs but that up to you.make sure you get the speed sensor from the auto so your speedo wont be off. there so much else that i havent mentioned these are the basics you need someone to hold the clutch stable will you ut in the bolts for the pressure plate and flywheel connecting all the cable it will take you along time especially if you never done it i suggest you but a new engine and tranny and be done with it sell that used engine and auto tranny and say f*** it. trust you some guys say what the fun in that you will regret it if you do it it will take you alot of work to get everyting working properly with no leaks.smooth shifting etc and own a new cluth you need to drive it easy for atleast 500 miles to break it in. so its up to you ask if you need any help if you decie to do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts