Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
ford changed on or 2 things via the engine, no real HP change maybe a hand few... i have my slow 98..3.8L

·
Registered
227 Posts
I also have an 04' and they have made I believe all of them 3.9
There are different reasons for the 3.9 from 3.8, but there is no change that will make it hard for any mods.

·
Banned
321 Posts
Hi Sharon... The 2004 Mustang V6 was changed from a 3.8 L to a 3.9 L half way through production... There wasnt an increase in power, weight, or fuel efficiency, and if there was such a change, Ford forgot to change the numbers on the window tags... Modding wise, There wasnt a big enough change to effect the mods that work on 3.8's, they will work fine on a 3.9... Hope this clears up your question, if not we are here to help you!!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Like kaper said.. 04 1/2s+ are all 3.9L. Ford came out with the Freestar that had the 3.9L engine and decided to incorperate that into the mustang instead of the old Winstar minivan's engine. The bottom end (crank, pistons, rods) are the only thing different in the engine and everything else is fully interchangable from other 99+s

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
put it in the paper RARE 3.9 production flaw mustang and see if you can fool someone to pay 30k for it

·
Registered
349 Posts
I also have a 2004 3.9L automatic. That black one as my avatar is it. I heard the the diameter of cylinders were the same but the stroke was a tad bit longer which resulted in .1L increase so correct me if I'm wrong but this would mean it has more displacement and more displacement is what we're all after aren't we?

·
Registered
26 Posts
i heard the diference was in the lifters . suposely they needed biger lifters to increace oil to the lifters , i heard they dried up and caused pinging

·
Registered
349 Posts
dunno what lifters are or pinging but pinging reminded me of the noise my car makes everytime i turn it off. it makes a a cracking sound like something dripping onto metal but in a cracking sound. I'm pretty sure its normal but would like to know what its about. a friend said it was oil dropping into the oil pan.

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
megax29 said:
dunno what lifters are or pinging but pinging reminded me of the noise my car makes everytime i turn it off. it makes a a cracking sound like something dripping onto metal but in a cracking sound. I'm pretty sure its normal but would like to know what its about. a friend said it was oil dropping into the oil pan.
water from your a/c hitting your exhaust

·
Registered
349 Posts
it does it all the time even when I don't have my a/c on

·
Registered
349 Posts
doesn't your mustang do that cracking sound?

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
mine ''hisses'' when I close my door, but that's the water hitting the exhaust.... and no, my car doesn't ''crack''

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
no, I mean a ''hisss' like a snake ''hisses''. You can hear it hit and ssssssssssssssssssssss... sizzle, hiss, it's the same freaking sound almost... a sizzle would be kinda calmed down by the engine compartment before it made its way outside making it sound more like a hiss, as you wouldn't really hear the really quite sounds of the sizzle...

·
I liek gramer
8,537 Posts
I'm sorry, I didn't know you were an aquatic sound engineer who specializes in exhaust and vehicles. I bow in your awesome presence. :rolleyes: :yank:

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
the tickin or hissin sounds are just the new engine/ metal crap, my dads 99 still does it (haha when ever he drives it ) and my moms Zx2 and dads taurus does it.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
:D... thanks for the sarcasm.. point was that we're arguing over the same damn sound

1 - 20 of 25 Posts