Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm getting my car back from the engine builder this week. I pulled the I6 and dropped in a 302 2bbl. So I'm wondering what kind of performance I can expect to get, I'm not expecting to race on the strip or the street.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I wouldn't exactly call a 2 barrel performance, but you need to provide , some more details, head, cam, exhaust? Is it a c4 auto, or manual? Gears? dual exhaust? Headers? Primary size? Intake manifold?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has stock heads, cam, and air intake. Holley 500cfm carb. Dual exhaust, no headers. It has 2.79 gears in the rear now but am planning on putting 3.25's in when its out of the shop.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
It has stock heads, cam, and air intake. Holley 500cfm carb. Dual exhaust, no headers. It has 2.79 gears in the rear now but am planning on putting 3.25's in when its out of the shop.
Not to rain on your parade, but why not put in a 650cfm 4 barrel with an aluminum intake?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Stock heads from what year? Got a casting number? Cam from what year? Intake from what year?

·
Registered
160 Posts
by swapping the six for the 302, you have doubled the power output. meaning you now have about 170 net hp as opposed the the net 85 hp the six put out. this is good for about mid to high 16s in the 1/4 mile depending on how good of a driver you are. your fuel economy should be about the same since the engine wont be struggling to maintain traffic speed.

personally i would upgrade the cam and intake, install a set of tri-y headers and dual exhaust, and then install a set of 3.55 gears and an AOD trans. that will make for a nice street package with decent fuel economy and performance.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
by swapping the six for the 302, you have doubled the power output. meaning you now have about 170 net hp as opposed the the net 85 hp the six put out. this is good for about mid to high 16s in the 1/4 mile depending on how good of a driver you are. your fuel economy should be about the same since the engine wont be struggling to maintain traffic speed.

personally i would upgrade the cam and intake, install a set of tri-y headers and dual exhaust, and then install a set of 3.55 gears and an AOD trans. that will make for a nice street package with decent fuel economy and performance.
What AOD can be easily installed from another vehicle? Going into a 67' 289. Looking for used to save a few.

·
Registered
160 Posts
What AOD can be easily installed from another vehicle? Going into a 67' 289. Looking for used to save a few.
any AOD from a 302/5.0 prior to 1993. you could install an AOD-E or 4R70W from a similar six bolt small block, but you need to either change the valve body, not a problem and fairly inexpensive, or add an aftermarket trans controller, expensive as most are about $1,000. i would get an AOD from a 90-93 mustang 5.0 as they have the most upgrades. you will need a 164 tooth flexplate with a 28oz balance factor, and they are available from summit racing for a reasonable price. i suggest checking these sites;

Welcome to Lentech Automatics.com

VB AOD

they both have what is known as a constant pressure valve body you can install in an AOD so that you dont have to worry about the TV cable adjustment. if the TV cable adjustment isnt done right, you will burn up an AOD in short order, unless you have a constant pressure valve body, then the TV cable just becomes a more mundane kickdown cable. lentech also revises the shift pattern from a OD-3-1 pattern to an OD/3-2-1 pattern with the option of an electric OD lockout if you wish.

all told you are looking at no more than about $800-1000 total for a used AOD with the modified valve body, and the attendant bits and pieces needed for the swap.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eventually I would like to get new cam, intake and carb. Also plan on dropping in a T5 transmission too but its going to be awhile. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Eventually I would like to get new cam, intake and carb. Also plan on dropping in a T5 transmission too but its going to be awhile. Thanks for the info.
Do not forget you will need to add the supports from the firewall to the shock towers to keep the front end from twisting as well as new shocks for the heaver engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts