Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I have a 67 mustang fastback S code and I'm looking for an engine that has the correct casting number. My mustang was build on November 5th, 1966. Can anyone tell me the right casting numbers i should be looking for? or if anyone has the right engine for sale?
Thank you,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is, it needs a little bit of rust repair, paint and engine. other than that its in good condition. its 95% rust free. im planning on restoring it as soon as i sell my 66 coupe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, i have 2 engines. one of them is a 390 (disassembled) and the other one is complete but I'm not sure what kind it is. as soon as i find the right engine for mine, i'll sell them both. meanwhile, i'll hold on to both of them just in case i cant find the correct engine for mine.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hi there,
I have a 67 mustang fastback S code and I'm looking for an engine that has the correct casting number. My mustang was build on November 5th, 1966. Can anyone tell me the right casting numbers i should be looking for? or if anyone has the right engine for sale?
Thank you,
Hi and welcome! I reallly like the stang! Ive got a couple 390's one of them i just built, but these are out of trucks.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Hi there,
Thank you,
It should start with a C7, 67 was the first year for the 390. Are you building a concours car? If not then it's not a big deal if its from a 67 or 68, etc.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
No, I'm not building a Concourse car but i'd like to have it all matching. wouldn't a wrong year engine lower the value of the car?
It depends on buyers if my 69 Mach had a wrong 428 engine in it instead of the 351 it has now it would bring more money. I do t think year really makes a big price impact but do what you feel like because that small detail might bug you the rest of the time driving the car ;o

·
Registered
509 Posts
This site will help you decode the casting date of the block. I don't know for sure, but blocks were "seasoned" for as much as a couple of months after casting before being machined, so the casting date could be as much as a few months before the build date of the car. Of course, it has to be before the car was built. Out of curiosity, if you get a block with a suitable casting date, and someone asks if it is original, what will you answer? I assume you'll tell the truth, so the date may not be terribly important.

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

How 'bout the link? (And less preaching?)

http://mustangtek.com/FordDateDecoding.html

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
No, I'm not building a Concourse car but i'd like to have it all matching. wouldn't a wrong year engine lower the value of the car?
You already have an S code which I believe is the important part. So a 390 block that's not a 67 is not going to matter that much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This site will help you decode the casting date of the block. I don't know for sure, but blocks were "seasoned" for as much as a couple of months after casting before being machined, so the casting date could be as much as a few months before the build date of the car. Of course, it has to be before the car was built. Out of curiosity, if you get a block with a suitable casting date, and someone asks if it is original, what will you answer? I assume you'll tell the truth, so the date may not be terribly important.

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

How 'bout the link? (And less preaching?)

http://mustangtek.com/FordDateDecoding.html
Of course, I'll tell the truth. If I don't have the correct engine, it will always bug me. I like my cars as original as I can get them to be. And trust me, this car will never be for sale. I'm planing on driving it daily.
Thank you

·
Registered
216 Posts
Of course, I'll tell the truth. If I don't have the correct engine, it will always bug me. I like my cars as original as I can get them to be. And trust me, this car will never be for sale. I'm planing on driving it daily.
Thank you
In my opinion, as my 66 build is going and also not gonna ever sell it, whatever you want for a daily driver is what you should go for, you got the car you want, make it what you desire. You can throw in whatever you'd like but do it where it looks like a factory clean install. Number matching is not my ultimate goal, just a clean bada$$ looking car with engine that runs, looks great and an overall car that handles as well as I want it to considering my driving habits.
Make it yours, make it with what you want, make it with what would make you happy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts