Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
JHL981 said:
Im new to the whole mustang scene, but what kind of mods can i do to a 4.0 V-6 in my 05?

Basically anything to the engine that you can do to the older V6,
there are no stroker kits yet and I am working on cam regrinds
and something else but you can get porting and maybe TB's...
I believe there may be UDP's available and certainly an exhaust
could be made to work... What did you have in mind? I can be more
specific if you tell me what you want to do.

·
Premium Member
25,510 Posts
i would wait a bit on the more extreme mods, let the aftermarket catch up. perhaps exhaust and a shifter (unless you got an auto.....) stuff like that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like some mods under say $300. SOmething to give the engine some pep. Like on my old ranger, there was an airbox mod, a MAF mod, TB mod, stuff like that

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
JHL981 said:
Like some mods under say $300. SOmething to give the engine some pep. Like on my old ranger, there was an airbox mod, a MAF mod, TB mod, stuff like that

Leave the MAF alone, unless you just want to smooth it out,
but leave the post in there. I have a 1/2 shafting how-to
somewhere that I did a long time ago, it is easy, adds
maybe 15% more flow and adding a CAI will be great too.
That gives you a good filter and no airbox to impede flow.

Here's a link to a site that shows 1/2 shafting and it has some pix
for doing a 94-98 3.8 TB. I noticed this guy used info for intakes off of
GrapeApe racing and did not note that it was from there, and used the
1/2 shaft thing and did not note that... but at the bottom of his site
he has a copyright warning, :rolleyes:

http://rogueperformance.com/UpperIntakeManifold.html

This is a ranger mod page, TB 1/2 shafting is quite similar
despite TB size or design. It's not a bad guide but the guy
lets on like he invented the concept. We know better ;)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Your car is pretty new, and so is the aftermarket for it...

I'd wait awhile and let the companies test their products. Prices for the products now are pretty expensive for the 05 because there aren't as many competitor products.

If I were you, I'd definately wait until more people get their hands on the 05.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
When you want porting I'd do an R&D discount later, after I get everything else in order.
I love new projects! :D I generally do them cheap, if you get cores for me. There should
be lots of cores available, 4.0 Explorer engines have been around for years now.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
i personally would get dual exhaust. a lot of people get flowmasters, spintechs, etc. that should be around the 300 mark. call around and ask for prices for a custom job. don't go more than 2.25" piping though unless you are for a fact supercharging later. im not sure though.. any comments anyone on my suggestion?

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
2.25 to 2.5 is ok I think. The 2.25 is great for stock engines but 2.5 won't hurt. PLus you'll be ready for anything you might want to do in the future.

Check around online and see if anyone sells UD Pulleys for 4.0 Explorers and compare the price to anyone happen to be selling pulleys for the 05. I'm not sure but I would bet the pullies would fit fine and give a good pep, better mileage, and throttle response for only like 80-120 bucks.

Then get yourself a CAI, and some mufflers. Save up and have a shop make you an exhaust. If you goto a locally owned shop and the guys a mustang nut he may give you a deal since you'll be prob the first 05 he had the privelege of working on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the great advice. The last flowmaster that I had on my truck, didnt give it any power, just sound, is it because i chose the wrong one or something? I dont want to get an exhaust and not have some gain

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
i dont think the mufflers will give you any gains.. they might.. but its probably so small lets not even count it.

its the dual exhaust that will help you. on stock mustangs the single small exhaust is a bottleneck for airflow. if you get duals you will gain horsepowers... and the mufflers are for sound. you'll probably notice alittle loss in torque but you'll feel the difference in horsepower. id say probably around 2-10. dont expect large results though.. every little bit helps. get a CAI to help more air get into the engine so more can get out. with those 2 installs you can definitely feel a nice improvement over stock. once again, its not a supercharger or anything haha but you will notice it.

the reason why i suggest getting the duals is that it is probably the first mod you do to your car that LOOKS different from stock. both you'll notice it and others will notice it because the way it looks and sounds.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
You would need a conversion, the fake duals can bolt on
buit they retain the stock "Y" pipe and that is the most
restrictive part of the system IMO. That and the single
stock muffler.

·
Premium Member
19,578 Posts
silverstangboy said:
they're is a cutout in the rear bumper correct?
The 05 6ers have a single cut out for exhaust...that's what he's talking about.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts