Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well as some of you might have noticed i have been wanting a manual for a while now, and now i might have a chance of fixing this problem. i want a 4.2 liter out of a ford f-150 and im guessing the trucks are the same as the stangs 99+ has split ports? and im also guessing that the tranny coming off the 4.2 liter is the t-5? my thought was, after the warrenty comes off i can buy a 4.2 liter already attached to the tranny and drop both in at once with out much extra effort. then i would take the obvious clutch pedal set up and the comp out of the truck and swap it in to the stang. o and i would have to change the shifter handle so i dont mess up the roof of my car :lol:. but my question is, is there some things i am over seeing in all this? will it just be much much easier to buy a 5 spd and then swap in a 4.2?

·
Banned
1,170 Posts
the intake manifolds for the 4.2 are different, as for the transmission, i have no idea, but the length may or may not be different

im doubting the pedal assembly from the truck would work either

best bet in my opinion is to get all the 5-speed stuff from a stang, get the block, heads, and all that from the truck

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could i buy thet tranny and all from a stang and buy the 4.2 from the truck and match them up out side the car and drop them in? how hard is this to do? and would a comp from a v6 stang 5 spd work on a 4.2?

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
OK, the tranny won't work as far as I know. I'm almost positive it's not a t-5. And the pedals won't work either. As for the engine, it'll drop right in, but you'll have to remember that the 4.2 blocks have knock sensors, and also the only thing different about the intakes is the upper's split port design. you you can just transfer you upper over. And finally if you have the engine out, now would be the optimal time to do a h/c/i swap. With a 4.2 you're gonna want BV heads at a minumum, and get some highly modified intakes so you can use a 70mm TB, and get them ported and polished. Your best bet for the tranny and engine is to find a junkyard, but still expect to bay close to 1000 or more for the items and then about another 1000 for the h/c/i. And then about another 500 to swap them in. So at a minimum, think around $2500-3000.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i feel stupid but what is a knock sensor? and im not planing on doing this for another couple years. 2 to be exact so i have time to fig all this out and start collecting parts

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Tbird232ci said:
yeah, listen to this guy, he knows more about it than i do
Ya listen to me!! :p:

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
oaktonarcher said:
i feel stupid but what is a knock sensor? and im not planing on doing this for another couple years. 2 to be exact so i have time to fig all this out and start collecting parts
A knock sensor does exactly what it says. The sensor(s) detects slight vibrations in your engine caused by knocking otherwise known as pre-ignition or detonation. When the sensor picks up these vibrations it retards the ignition timing which means it changes the point in which the spark plug fires to reduce/remove the knocking. They're pretty cool to have, but if you want to keep them working in your mustang, you'll need the f-150's computer.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Not if you can tune it

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
you'll have to reprogram PATS on the F150 engine. just use the stock ECU. you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Monkey said:
you'll have to reprogram PATS on the F150 engine. just use the stock ECU. you'll be fine.
If he wants to keep the knock sensors he'll need the computer, but if he doesn't want to keep them, he can just tune his car so that his EEC knows he has a 4.2 now and the extra airflow of course.

·
Registered
65 Posts
the 4.2 has a m50d tranny

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
any est. on how much a 4.2 would cost? im gonna start lookin around soon to get rid of the 3l in my truck for the 4.2 id prally have to buy just as much huh? id luv to get it with a 5spd but who knows how much work that could be, 3l auto to 4.2 5spd D:

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Well from a junkyard, you could probably get the whole engine for aout $500-$1000. Maybe less, it all depands on the junkyard. But I personally wouldn't pay more than $600 for the whole thing.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
kinda bringing this back from the dead but owell :p

i think its the vulcan 3.0 im not sure nor can i remember how to find it out again. lol

*edit* found it, another ranger site says that the vulcan 3.0 has been around since 86 so everything 86 and up has it that has a 3.0 in it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
4.2 parts

for a dual port 4.2 use the heads, crank, and rotating assembly. mustang block is fine so tranny will fit but intake is different ,so "can" it

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
plstktnkr2 said:
for a dual port 4.2 use the heads, crank, and rotating assembly. mustang block is fine so tranny will fit but intake is different ,so "can" it
You can use everything except the upper intake from the 4.2. If you get a 99+ upper, you're golden!!

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
ive also seen on other ranger boards from me asking about a 4.2 swap that the 4.2 will bolt up to 5.0 trannys (dont know what kind of tranny that is t4/t5?)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts