Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My girlfriends car has a 77 460 and its stock. She cracked a head and we want to install heads that will give her a lil more hp but not break the bank. What would u guys suggest for under 500?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,779 Posts
Re: 460 heads???

My girlfriends car has a 77 460 and its stock. She cracked a head and we want to install heads that will give her a lil more hp but not break the bank. What would u guys suggest for under 500?
Sorry man, but unless you could run across a crazy deal on a used set of aluminum performance heads, you don't have many options. All of the old SCJ and CJ heads are long used up or still in use and even if you did find some they would cost more than that.


Your best option is to look into having the stock heads reworked and ported a bit, but realize that improvements in that area won't amount to much unless you make intake and exhaust changes to compliment them.


Also, a lot of those old heads are prone to cracking so they would need to be scrutinized carefully before spending any money on them. I have 4-5 of those engines in my garage and the heads were cracked on all but one. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shoot, a friend in my fox club told me to look into some 70 dove heads and getting them worked on. Also I've been told that some cracks u can't see with the naked eye, so how can I tell if they are or not?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,779 Posts
Re: 460 heads???

Shoot, a friend in my fox club told me to look into some 70 dove heads and getting them worked on. Also I've been told that some cracks u can't see with the naked eye, so how can I tell if they are or not?
The DOVE heads would be ok, but good luck finding any.
You would have to have the heads magnafluxed at a machine shop to check them for cracks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually I found a set on ebay for 300 this morning. But would that be a bad idea since there's no way to check them b4 I buy them?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,779 Posts
Re: 460 heads???

Actually I found a set on ebay for 300 this morning. But would that be a bad idea since there's no way to check them b4 I buy them?
Yes, bad idea unless they could somehow furnish absolute proof they had been checked and are ok.


Also, do not buy anything off of eBay without using PayPal or a similar protective service. They help keep you from getting ripped off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gotchya, well thanks for the advise. I also saw some on summitracing for around 600. Would that be my best bet for a budgeted build then have some work done on them?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,044 Posts
watson 1025 said:
Well I just noticed that I was looking at bare heads, this is the same head but assembled.
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-6049-scja
They look like pretty nice heads. I would do some googling and read reviews. Also keep in mind that the price is for 1 cylinder head. But if you can budget it I think you will be better off with something like this.over some eBay heads. Now I have bought heads for small 4 cylinder cars probably 3-4 times with good results off eBay. None of them were performance though. And everytime is a risk.

Did you already have this 460 running in there. I ask because me and a few other guys are also curious how they do. Does it affect handling? And what did it take exactly to put it in?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dreamstang said:
They look like pretty nice heads. I would do some googling and read reviews. Also keep in mind that the price is for 1 cylinder head. But if you can budget it I think you will be better off with something like this.over some eBay heads. Now I have bought heads for small 4 cylinder cars probably 3-4 times with good results off eBay. None of them were performance though. And everytime is a risk.

Did you already have this 460 running in there. I ask because me and a few other guys are also curious how they do. Does it affect handling? And what did it take exactly to put it in?
Actually its not a mustang its a mercury grand marqui (if that's how u spell it). But I've asked questions on here b4 and u guys seem to know ur engine so I figured someone would know. But wen her car ran it was a freakin beast! If it wasn't for her loving the car to pieces I would hav that engine rebuilt and in my mustang!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,044 Posts
watson 1025 said:
Actually its not a mustang its a mercury grand marqui (if that's how u spell it). But I've asked questions on here b4 and u guys seem to know ur engine so I figured someone would know. But wen her car ran it was a freakin beast! If it wasn't for her loving the car to pieces I would hav that engine rebuilt and in my mustang!
sweet. hell we dont mind if it was a chevy. well, you may catch some flack for that. but we are all here to help each other out. :good:

me personally dont have any experience with the 460's. all though some day i might. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Man I'm glad u told me that was one head. I thought it was two! My woman is gonna shoot me! I called and told her a found some for 800 now I get to tell her 1600... uh oh... I hav a friend who used to hav a 460 in a 90 gt and it was amazing. I'm my stang wasn't my dd id be building a 460 for sure!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,044 Posts
watson 1025 said:
Man I'm glad u told me that was one head. I thought it was two! My woman is gonna shoot me! I called and told her a found some for 800 now I get to tell her 1600... uh oh... I hav a friend who used to hav a 460 in a 90 gt and it was amazing. I'm my stang wasn't my dd id be building a 460 for sure!
oops. your gonna bemin the dog house now!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dreamstang said:
oops. your gonna bemin the dog house now!
Yup... well I'm going to keep looking around and if, well when, I have more questions ill pop back on here. Thanks for the info!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,779 Posts
Re: 460 heads???

Well I just noticed that I was looking at bare heads, this is the same head but assembled.
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-6049-scja
A set of those would be nice, but understand that the engine would need some major improvements in the intake, cam and exhaust to realize any benefits. If you just slapped a set of those on there, it would run like a sickly 5.0.


Keep looking around and maybe you can find a used set of heads, cam and intake to go with them.


I still have a 1970 429, that was running good when it was removed, along with a C6 or two to go with it.
I kept it because those blocks are a bit beefier than the newer model 429/460's and who knows, I might need it one of these days. ;)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,044 Posts
Trojan Horse said:
A set of those would be nice, but understand that the engine would need some major improvements in the intake, cam and exhaust to realize any benefits. If you just slapped a set of those on there, it would run like a sickly 5.0.

Keep looking around and maybe you can find a used set of heads, cam and intake to go with them.

I still have a 1970 429, that was running good when it was removed, along with a C6 or two to go with it.
I kept it because those blocks are a bit beefier than the newer model 429/460's and who knows, I might need it one of these days. ;)
i say if you can fork up the buckaroos, get the good ones the first go. the i intake and cam can be had cheaper than the heads. you think it would run that terrible? i also agree to look around for some good used one though. :good:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I plan on cam, intake and carb after the heads r replaced but the heads r gonna break my gf. a used edlebrok intake is only 250 used 4 barrel holly carb isn't over 600. But heads 2000??? Idk wat cams for a 460 run but I no for a 5.0 they arnt to bad.
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top